Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 15:23 Christ stop bleating on about Williams.
Why? you prefer Fallon I assume. Afraid not everyone agrees on that one. However I mentioned William purely on the basis that we did not replace him with a proven goal scorer and appear to have made no attempt since - financial restrictions we are told. But money can be found for a General Manager (read DoF) a Head of Recruitment and now we can find money to compensate Bath City for a manager (read Head Coach) out of the hundreds of applicants that applied and not forgetting a salary for a building labourer as his assistant.

So as the board is about opinions I will bleat on, but will have the courtesy of allowing you the freedom (without criticism) to justify Fallon's recruitment over the said bleated' player.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

How do you pronounce Gary Owers' surname - is it Owers as in 'lowers', or 'hours'? A bit like the debate about the pronunciation of David Bowie's surname.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 15:47 Why? you prefer Fallon I assume. Afraid not everyone agrees on that one. However I mentioned William purely on the basis that we did not replace him with a proven goal scorer and appear to have made no attempt since - financial restrictions we are told. But money can be found for a General Manager (read DoF) a Head of Recruitment and now we can find money to compensate Bath City for a manager (read Head Coach) out of the hundreds of applicants that applied and not forgetting a salary for a building labourer as his assistant.

So as the board is about opinions I will bleat on, but will have the courtesy of allowing you the freedom (without criticism) to justify Fallon's recruitment over the said bleated' player.
Opinions indeed, but why use pejorative language about Kuhl to back up your argument if you are confident in your opinion?
TUST number 080
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Whatever the issue, I back brucie!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Lloyder5 wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 16:47 Opinions indeed, but why use pejorative language about Kuhl to back up your argument if you are confident in your opinion?
pejorative language ? sorry am I incorrect in my statement that he is currently in the building trade? But your right I am expressing contempt
for this whole fiasco, but that is what frustration does to you.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

tomogull wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 15:45 However, I feel that Harrop and Dave Thomas have some explaining to do to fans. Last week, it was stated in the Herald Express that there was a shortlist of Paul Cox, Ronnie Moore, Richard Money, Micky Adams and 'an unnamed former Premier League player and that negotiations 'were progressing well'. Now we find out that none of those on the shortlist have been appointed. Why ??? Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying one of those should have been appointed ahead of Gary Owers - simply why not. We won't get any answers of course because communications between the club and fans is surely at an all time low since the club was first elected to the Football League.
I don't think there's anything sinister there chap. The (rather sad) answer to your question is that the HE are now an irrelevance when it comes to news about TUFC, and know as much (if not less) than people who frequent the message boards.

Most of the names on that shortlist were either educated guesses (like cox, who we may have talked to but who knows) or were people we actually talked to - Ronnie Moore was at one of our games for example. When other names were bandied about by the herald they were lifted directly from the forums, either here or BTPIR - Westley and Kevin Wilkin.

The fact they didn't ever mention Owers until last night was because he wasn't at any of our games until last night, and the club aren't leaking information like they used to (good thing to, in my opinion).

As for the other part of your post, harrop never confirmed any names and as far as I can see from his statements hasn't ever said anything factually incorrect. You could argue that his statements could have been more frequent - we are down to last two, or there's been a hold up for example- but you certainly can't accuse him of misleading anyone.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:05 pejorative language ? sorry am I incorrect in my statement that he is currently in the building trade? But your right I am expressing contempt
for this whole fiasco, but that is what frustration does to you.
I think you know what I meant, standard procedure in internet debates.
Anyway, here's hoping that something good will be constructed.
TUST number 080
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I know Kit Robin. Cox wanted the job. As was said. Got an interview with the Plainmoor God and stumbled over the first question. Well would you know where Chew Magna was?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

tomogull wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 15:45
However, I feel that Harrop and Dave Thomas have some explaining to do to fans. Last week, it was stated in the Herald Express that there was a shortlist of Paul Cox, Ronnie Moore, Richard Money, Micky Adams and 'an unnamed former Premier League player and that negotiations 'were progressing well'. Now we find out that none of those on the shortlist have been appointed. Why ??? Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying one of those should have been appointed ahead of Gary Owers - simply why not. We won't get any answers of course because communications between the club and fans is surely at an all time low since the club was first elected to the Football League.
If you go back a couple of weeks you may remember that the herald express had a rolling news decision day webpage. Well that turned out to be a damp squib. It looked to me that the HE in fact have no inside line on the club and recent HE articles on the subject have simply been culled from opinions on the forums. In other words Dave Thomas in reality knew SFA.

I doubted all along that a so called big name would have been interested in us. It must have been well known inside football circles the state the club was in last season what with the players having to drive to away fixtures in their own cars and there being no footballing infrastructure at the club below the first (and only) team. In fact Torquay united was a raving basket case. And that is the problem here, because for no logical reason whatsoever, our fans seem to think we are a big club that can command the attention of those higher up in the game when in fact we are a piss poor excuse for a football club that the national league should be ashamed to count amongst its members.

This appointment is exactly of the calibre I would expect a club in our position to make, actually it is of a higher calibre than I would expect a club in our position to make because it shows some ambition in trying put in place a managerial/coaching set up. We haven't just taken a head coach and then let him bring in his own assistant, we have gone out and looked for an suitable candidate to fill that position.

Most contributors on this forum thought Nicholson was a genius and that the players he signed this season would lead us comfortably to mid table obscurity. The quick unravelling of those expectations shows that no one is in a position to criticise today's appointments. Nicholson has bequeathed the new duo a poison chalice and if they fail no doubt the fans will blame the new guys when it should be remembered that our demise goes back a very long way.

I wish them all the best because they are going to need it.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Rossi Martin wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 15:40 I've been told from a reliable source that Gary Owers was close to getting the Bristol City job before Lee Johnson and is highly rated as a manager. He reckons this could be a steal and the right appointment
If he was that good why on earth was he managing down at Bath City level? I've got to doubt that rumour, he may well turn out to be decent for us but it's not like we've just snagged ourselves a promising manager that clubs have been falling all over themselves for or he wouldn't have been managing down at NLS level.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

budegull1954 wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 16:32 How do you pronounce Gary Owers' surname - is it Owers as in 'lowers', or 'hours'? A bit like the debate about the pronunciation of David Bowie's surname.

Always pronounced 'Hours' by every commentator during his playing career, so I'm certain that pronunciation is the correct one.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

signing an experienced manager, with contacts and a similar no.2 a very happy change to the last 2 managers,

Season starts here!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

We have appointed an experienced coach who has achieved 8th place in the league below us and who lives near the Chairman.
We have achieved this after wasting a month and 15% of the playing fixtures.
Let's just get our FACTS right..
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Dazza wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:52 I know Kit Robin. Cox wanted the job. As was said. Got an interview with the Plainmoor God and stumbled over the first question. Well would you know where Chew Magna was?

Yes I lived a mile away.

Just talked to my mates at Bath and they reckon we've done well to get them especially with the contacts the've got. These people know the game not like the managers we've had as these are experienced and I eat humble pie and G.I. well done. :keepie:
=D
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

So what do the Bath City fans think; a few forum comments are:

"I would have been fine if he had left to better himself, but a team only one division higher, in freefall with madness behind the scenes...."

"...am more annoyed given how he's been able to build his own side here this year, and then he leaves for the Torquay basket case."

"... I personally wouldn't go to Torquay under the current circumstances..."

"... it will be a struggle to prevent Torquay being relegated..."

We even seem to be the laughing stock of the Southern League.