Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Euphoria has replaced despair it seems!

Gary Owers has done the rounds in a variety of coaching/managing roles, some more successfully than others

Why would he want to leave the comparative safety of Bath City for us?

Well he is 48, the clock is ticking and if he masterminds the "Great Escape 3" this season it could make him attractive to at least a League 2 Club.

Call me cynical but this is modern day football and there isn't much loyalty in the game
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

And he has been working on a building site :)
TUST MEMBER
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Whilst these may not be "big name" appointments or even ones that many may recognise. The fact that Harrop has brought in 2 people from separate areas and not an existing "management team", does have the hint that options have been reviewed and perceived suitable pegs are being used to plug the holes that need filling.

Let's give them a chance and time to blend with each other.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Let the new season begin - the last 10 games have just been a nightmare.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well the excuse is already there if it fails. like we have heard many many times.

It wasn't their team, they inherited the squad.

Putting ANY predictions on a forum and you are opening yourself up, BUT that's football, opinions, without them the whole thing is a waste of time.

None of us know whether they are good appointments, if they are not then another round of excuses will no doubt come our way.
TUST MEMBER
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

This is probably as good an appointment as we could have expected, and having a fresh assistant in as well is welcome news.

I don't believe the biggest issues at the club are related to the management though. Whatever you thought about Kevin Nicholson he was here because of the situation the club was in, and put up with a lot more than any manager should have to. If it was Nicholson’s choice to have a squad of 15 players, or sign Rory Fallon when there was money available for a striker, then he deserved the sack and the new manager will be able to get improved results. I suspect though that Fallon was signed, much like Sean Finch and Ben Gerring were in previous years, because he was the best striker living in Devon that would sign non-contract terms.

Dowling is here for another few weeks at present. Reid, Lee and Efete are also due back to their parent clubs in January. Dorel, Cole, Haworth, Mitchell and Fallon are here without a contact. We have 15 permanent players, seven of which are currently injured, plus a young goalkeeper that’s not going to see action.

Since GI have come in, we have a scout, and players are no longer driving themselves to away matches, which is some progress from last season at least. There is still a long way to go though until we have a professional set-up in place, and I just don’t believe that we have the claimed top 10 budget given that there’s 15 players there and their respective CVs.

Unless Nicholson chose to go down the non-contract route rather than experienced players on 3-year deals then we’re simply going to have to back the new management more than we have, otherwise we’ll have the same issues repeated again. We’ll still be signing players on 1-year deals, we’ll still be shopping for players not wanted somewhere else (whether because of injury record, quality, experience…). The new management will bring some new contacts, but given that Hedges has been here for 6 months and so presumably already made use of the majority of his own immediate contact list and knowledge base for players available in our budget, then we’ll need more resources to take us away from non-contracts, free loans, one-year deals and players not in demand elsewhere and into a higher bracket of players.

The proof of our intentions will be seen over the coming months, but given the starting point & the track record of GI, I sense that Great Escape 3 is as big as it's going to get, not top 10, and certainly not a return to the Football League.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

Alpine Joe wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 00:13
We waited days, then weeks, but it ended in Owers (geddit ? ;-) )
Aahh... Boomboom ! :)
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 07:40 Whilst the circumstances behind the appointment are woeful; particularly with regards to the time that has been taken, the smokescreen coming out of the club and the lack of communication, it would seem that all signs are pointing towards Gary Owers being appointed.

He may not have the track record we want but I really hope that he has the ambition and ability within him to turn this situation around.

I'm sure we will find out today if Gary is taking helm and whilst I may not agree with the appointment in light of the experienced names that have been banded around, I've already vented my frustration and disappointment at the whole situation so I'll be getting behind Gary, or whoever takes charge and look forward to seeing some positive results in the near future.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS...

I MEAN SERIOUSLY...

COME ON!!

:)

Me too
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We cannot provide a decent players budget and take 'out of favour' players on non-contract' terms - Fallon being the perfect example. How many goals will he contribute this season - then ask the question of how many goals Williams would have given us with the offer of a half decent contract.

Why I raise this question is because we apparently have the money [font=Arial Black]to pay Bath City compensation [/font]for Owers.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Gulliball wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 12:56 This is probably as good an appointment as we could have expected, and having a fresh assistant in as well is welcome news.

I don't believe the biggest issues at the club are related to the management though. Whatever you thought about Kevin Nicholson he was here because of the situation the club was in, and put up with a lot more than any manager should have to. If it was Nicholson’s choice to have a squad of 15 players, or sign Rory Fallon when there was money available for a striker, then he deserved the sack and the new manager will be able to get improved results. I suspect though that Fallon was signed, much like Sean Finch and Ben Gerring were in previous years, because he was the best striker living in Devon that would sign non-contract terms.

Dowling is here for another few weeks at present. Reid, Lee and Efete are also due back to their parent clubs in January. Dorel, Cole, Haworth, Mitchell and Fallon are here without a contact. We have 15 permanent players, seven of which are currently injured, plus a young goalkeeper that’s not going to see action.

Since GI have come in, we have a scout, and players are no longer driving themselves to away matches, which is some progress from last season at least. There is still a long way to go though until we have a professional set-up in place, and I just don’t believe that we have the claimed top 10 budget given that there’s 15 players there and their respective CVs.

Unless Nicholson chose to go down the non-contract route rather than experienced players on 3-year deals then we’re simply going to have to back the new management more than we have, otherwise we’ll have the same issues repeated again. We’ll still be signing players on 1-year deals, we’ll still be shopping for players not wanted somewhere else (whether because of injury record, quality, experience…). The new management will bring some new contacts, but given that Hedges has been here for 6 months and so presumably already made use of the majority of his own immediate contact list and knowledge base for players available in our budget, then we’ll need more resources to take us away from non-contracts, free loans, one-year deals and players not in demand elsewhere and into a higher bracket of players.

The proof of our intentions will be seen over the coming months, but given the starting point & the track record of GI, I sense that Great Escape 3 is as big as it's going to get, not top 10, and certainly not a return to the Football League.
:goodpost:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Garry was a top pro. with West Brom and I have had the pleasure of watching him play for Bristol City. As for managing he's managed my old club W.S.M. and transformed Bath into a decent team. I watched Bath pre-season but was not impressed but with holidays it might not have been their best team.
Maryn Khul may have been at City when Garry was there.

It's something positive to focus on now lets hope he can turn things around but we need wide players a big striker who can hold the ball and a centre half. PLEASE MR OSBORNE.

Why have we had to wait this length of time. :red:
Last edited by arcadia on 13 Sep 2017, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Christ stop bleating on about Williams.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 15:23 Christ stop bleating on about Williams.
I don't know if this was directed at me but I will be behind the club with this one we all need to pull together or we will be f-cked! :keepie:
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

I've been told from a reliable source that Gary Owers was close to getting the Bristol City job before Lee Johnson and is highly rated as a manager. He reckons this could be a steal and the right appointment
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I am feeling much more positive about these appointments since reading posts on here, especially those from Reading & Aldershot fans. Thanks guys. Onwards and upwards with Steve & Martin.

However, I feel that Harrop and Dave Thomas have some explaining to do to fans. Last week, it was stated in the Herald Express that there was a shortlist of Paul Cox, Ronnie Moore, Richard Money, Micky Adams and 'an unnamed former Premier League player and that negotiations 'were progressing well'. Now we find out that none of those on the shortlist have been appointed. Why ??? Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying one of those should have been appointed ahead of Gary Owers - simply why not. We won't get any answers of course because communications between the club and fans is surely at an all time low since the club was first elected to the Football League.

Having got over the shock and surprise when I read the announcement, I think there are positives and I actually feel that they can get us out of the dire mess we are in. The question is though ..... what financial 'clout' will G.I. allow them? I wonder if Robbie Herrara will stay at the club in another role - possibly with the Youth set up?