St Lukes Cup vs Cullompton Rangers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The depth of our squad has reached even greater depths this season!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Now we can concentrate on the league !!! :no: :-/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Just like preseason games this counts for nothing other than getting a few players who needed minutes some match fitness.

I see there were appearances from a striker/winger called Ashford Dawkins, Utility player Wes Atkinson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Atkinson) and former Yeovil youth player Jaydn Corbridge (no doubt on Harrops's recommendation).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Pretty meaningless but surely with a team made up quite a few professionals we should be able to win this?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Just underlines the massive re-building job Owers and Kuhl have in front of them. A first win on Saturday would help boost morale.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 11:29Pretty meaningless but surely with a team made up quite a few professionals we should be able to win this?
As you say meaningless in terms of result; not a fixture commitment the new manager welcomed and neither a prospect of any enthusiasm towards further participation in the County Cup

Get a grip you people who are aghast at this ~ you have no comprehension as to how the management view this and shame on the Herald Express for making an issue of it when they choose to censor out the motives of the club ownership over the freehold. It just shows what idiots they take people for and unfortunately some idiots choose to respond and justify their manipulating nature.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I believe that this result does indeed highlight the challenge ahead, particularly with regards to the depth of the squad and the quality (or lack of) of the players outside or on the fringe of the first team (excluding the youngsters who made an appearance)

A second rate team should still be able to defeat a struggling club who are multiple leagues below us.

Fortunately the first team will be back in action this weekend and from the language I hear coming out of the coaching/management (!) I still feel positive about the next few games....

They recognise the work rate as Nicho often did whatever the result, however, they have also made reference to what is needed to win the games mentally, physically and tactically and it seems that winning is finally being set as the expected standard which I believe is a fundamental requirement on behalf of the leadership team (at all levels!)
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Richinns wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 10:51 Just like preseason games this counts for nothing other than getting a few players who needed minutes some match fitness.

I see there were appearances from a striker/winger called Ashford Dawkins, Utility player Wes Atkinson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Atkinson) and former Yeovil youth player Jaydn Corbridge (no doubt on Harrops's recommendation).
Probably right on the Harrop recommendation re: Corbridge...Owers has a better eye for quality judging by the players he has brought in already (based on previous reputation at least!)

Corbridge signed for Dorchester (Southern Premier) in August having initially been set to join their RESERVES!!
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/sport/15501 ... ster_Town/

Ashford Dawkins on the other hand seems a VERY interesting prospect...

22 year old Footballer. Striker/Winger, playing for Muro CF in Tercera División in Spain (The equivalent of League 2 Division in England) and Jamaica Under 20 national team player. He is described as very strong, powerful and fast AND was close to joining Chelsea in 2012 for over £130k as a 16 year old! He has since been linked with a move to Valencia and has been involved with the Spanish Under-19 set up.

http://www.centrocampista.com/2012/03/c ... nage-star/
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

8 players started who are part of the first team squad, games like this should won with ease. This club must get
a winning habit and mentality. Lets hope the management duo can sort out this bunch of losers. There must be
some players leaving soon who are not up to it
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

You'd think (hope) that for fringe players like Fallon and Anderson last night was their last chance to 'shine' in front of the new boss.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

nickbrod wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 13:39 You'd think (hope) that for fringe players like Fallon and Anderson last night was their last chance to 'shine' in front of the new boss.
Some might say that was were their level.....
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

Great research Bristol Gull. I agree with you Merse, the last thing TUFC needs now is other distractions in the pursuit of cup money. It's an extremely dire situation and is going to need every resource we have left to get us to safety ASAP, let alone a respectable league position. Not sure how much money this St Lukes Cup generates but it can't be much and it's definitely not worth sacrificing the league games for.

I do worry a bit what results like this do to team motivation, although if the manager is worth his salt he'll be able to impart to the players that it really doesn't matter and is more of a training exercise: nice if we win but not the end of the world if not.

Roll on the next game - let's hope the new coaching team can restore TUFC to greatness :)
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Geoff...restore tufc to greatness ?

What vision does club have represents greatness?
TorquayDNA
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by TorquayDNA »

Replying on the other thread WestYorkshireGull (gotta try to keep things relevant hey!)
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I am impressed that Merse feels there is nothing to concern us by this loss. There was I thinking this was an absolute disgrace. Obviously Cullompton are a better side than we lost to in other cup defeats where I seemed to recall he went absolutely apeshit. It's obviously ill advised to get in a winning habit too early this season.