Attacking options this season...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Attacking options this season...

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I'm glad to see we are beginning to tighten up at the back...now it's time to score some goals! (*and get a suitable manager!)

I know some of our signings have come under flack on the forum, however from what you have seen so far this season what do you believe our current strengths and weaknesses are within our current front line attacking options? Who has our greatest goalscoring potential? Who would you start?

Jon-Paul Pittman
Ruairi Keating
James Gray
Rory Fallon
Jamie Reid

?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

too many like for like options in there. That list just shows up the folly of our summer recruitment, 5 forwards, yet managed to start the season with out a fit for purpose left back.

Both Keating and Gray have proved early doors they can finish, however, my opinion is these two shouldn't start together. For me it's no brainer on Fallon, he's past it, clear for all to see, I would also cut lose either one of Reid or Pittman, no need for both in the squad, with 2 from that list gone, hopefully that would make room, for proper, fit for purpose target man, to give us that different option so sadly lacking at the moment.

However, I think it does need to be said, our club could go out tomorrow and sign the best forwards at this level money could buy, if your system is wrong, if they're not getting the ball put consistently in the right places , then they're, your not going to score goals.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

IMHO, dismiss Reid and Fallon as National League standard strikers.

Keating is work in progress and shown good potential.
JPP has not done enough for me to be convinced.
Gray has shown some good early season form.

That currently leaves 2 strikers out of 5 who give me any sort of confidence this season.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

But a ball in the air to any of them will come straight back as it did on Saturday.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Based on what I saw at Aldershot (limited data sample I know), I'd take Pittman over Gray any day. But then that's just based on one match.

Totally agree with Fallon, the sooner we ship him out the better.

Reid is an interesting one. Personally I find him frustrating and zero end product, but merse has very different views on him based on a coaching background which suggest we aren't getting the best out of him. I think part of the reason he frustrates me is you can see he has more in the locker than he actually delivers, so I'd persevere with him for now
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

But a ball in the air to any of them will come straight back as it did on Saturday.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Reid is a very instinctive player and at times he can look very good however if he has to think about his next move, he'll trip over his own laces!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dazza wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 20:17 But a ball in the air to any of them will come straight back as it did on Saturday.
Post meant part as quote, part in general.

Agreed, but (taking this off track) this is why it's so important to have the right system with the right players, there's neither any natural width or pace in our squad, so when some say, why does Luke Young not look quite the same player, why do we think ? He's reduce two options, switch the play side to side, or knock it long and straight, because there's no attacking outlet.

Stick, one or two, pacey direct wide players in this team, and see what a different player Young would look, and in turn, Gray, Keating, Pittman etc, also then maybe, the ball wouldn't be coming straight back at us, time and time again .
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 20:54 ....but (taking this off track) this is why it's so important to have the right system with the right players, so when some say, why does Luke Young not look quite the same player, why do we think ? He's reduce two options, switch the play side to side, or knock it long and straight, because there's no attacking outlet.
Stick, one or two, pacey direct wide players in this team, and see what a different player Young would look, and in turn, Gray, Keating, Pittman etc, also then maybe, the ball wouldn't be coming straight back at us, time and time again .
This is precisely it; the person who constructed the squad blatantly couldn't set up a successful team out of it.

Neither would he deviate from a slavish adherence to playing two flat lines of four in front of his goalkeeper; hardly ever put out a balanced side with square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round ones.

The answer to creating width is there for all to see ~ and especially so given the numerous players signed that are unfit for purpose ~ play with three central defenders behind a diamond with wingbacks providing that width. Play the ball into the feet of players like Gray, Pittman and Keating. They are not tall, they are not fast, but they can all get a shot off and threaten goal.

Your pacey direct wide players are Higgins and Cole (& to a certain extent, Howarth) ~ as Martin Ling would say; 'the answer's within the building' ~ but there are none so blind as those who will not see. To be given licence to push forward they need a back line of three behind them.
Last edited by merse btpir on 11 Sep 2017, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 20:25 Reid is a very instinctive player and at times he can look very good however if he has to think about his next move, he'll trip over his own laces!
like he did v guiseley at home last season..... :}
everyone on the pop laughed their caps off.... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 21:14 This is precisely it; the person who constructed the squad blatantly couldn't set up a successful team out of it.

Neither would he deviate from a slavish adherence to playing two flat lines of four in front of his goalkeeper; hardly ever put out a balanced side with square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round ones.

The answer to creating width is there for all to see ~ and especially so given the numerous players signed that are unfit for purpose ~ play with three central defenders behind a diamond with wingbacks providing that width. Play the ball into the feet of players like Gray, Pittman and Keating. They are not tall, they are not fast, but they can all get a shot off and threaten goal.

Your pacey direct wide players are Higgins and Cole (& to a certain extent, Howarth) ~ as Martin Ling would say; 'the answer's within the building' ~ but there are none so blind as those who will not see. To be given licence to push forward they need a back line of three behind them.
I'd be interested to know what your optimal line up would be based upon this description with the current squad?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 21:20 I'd be interested to know what your optimal line up would be based upon this description with the current squad?
Dorel
3: Efete, Gowling, McGinty
1: Dowling
4: Higgins, Gray, Young, Cole
2: Pittman, Keating

Dowling to screen the back three and set up attacks from his deep position. Higgins & Cole to tuck in & defend behind Dowling when required and provide the width and drive forward on the offensive.

I note on the club's official website that this has been said of the JFL performances at the weekend:
“There was lots of positive feedback from the coaches on how the players played the game. They played the ‘Torquay United way’, playing through the three thirds of the pitch, playing out from the back. Overall it was a really positive weekend.”

Did Kevin Nicholson play the 'Torquay United Way' ~ playing through the three thirds of the pitch, playing out from the back? No he bloody didn't!

The club needs a head coach who will adhere to the 'Torquay United Way' just as Boreham Wood do with their limited resources. My son makes his competitive debut for them in the u19 league on Wednesday at the age of 16; I can guarantee you that this team will play in the exact same shape, formation and adherance to the methods laid down by the first team coach because his team has the same coach..........it's as simple as that!
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Sorry but I cant agree with putting young George as holding midfielder. He is full of energy and attacking intent. Wasting his talent there.
Perhaps Klukowski if fit could provide that option
Tust member 191
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It's opinion isn't it; my opinion is that your best passer (& hence possession retainer) needs to be at the base of the attacking move rather like Franz Beckenbaur used to be.

My son has been regarded as a 'number ten' for the past few years; now (at his new club) he is being deployed in the same role that I singled out for Dowling...just opinions.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Yes and I gave my opinion 😀
Tust member 191