Attacking options this season...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 22:56 My son has been regarded as a 'number ten' for the past few years; now (at his new club) he is being deployed in the same role that I singled out for Dowling...just opinions.
Do we really need to be told over and over again ad nauseum what a fantastic player your son is - in his father's view - (playing for Boreham Wood) on a Torquay United website? It's irrelevant.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 21:37 Dorel
3: Efete, Gowling, McGinty
1: Dowling
4: Higgins, Gray, Young, Cole
2: Pittman, Keating

Dowling to screen the back three and set up attacks from his deep position. Higgins & Cole to tuck in & defend behind Dowling when required and provide the width and drive forward on the offensive.

I note on the club's official website that this has been said of the JFL performances at the weekend:
“There was lots of positive feedback from the coaches on how the players played the game. They played the ‘Torquay United way’, playing through the three thirds of the pitch, playing out from the back. Overall it was a really positive weekend.”

Did Kevin Nicholson play the 'Torquay United Way' ~ playing through the three thirds of the pitch, playing out from the back? No he bloody didn't!

The club needs a head coach who will adhere to the 'Torquay United Way' just as Boreham Wood do with their limited resources. My son makes his competitive debut for them in the u19 league on Wednesday at the age of 16; I can guarantee you that this team will play in the exact same shape, formation and adherance to the methods laid down by the first team coach because his team has the same coach..........it's as simple as that!
Agree with 3 CBs, although from what ive seen of Cole he'd prefer 4-4-2 maybe Davis - whenever he emerges would suit that better,

Have to also agree that would be the wrong place for Dowling,

He needs to start further forward, our midfield are so deep anyway he gets forward but the move has ended
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I've picked a line-up for the Bromley game; as regards Dowling, I've always held the belief that your best passer and retainer of possession needs to offer you a foundation from that position. Thus the argument for Klukowski goes in my opinion.......I would play Lathrope there as a secondary option and then push Dowling forward to replace Gray and Gray forward to replace Pittman, if that makes sense.

I think ball retention and balance, team shape and the ability to retain possession should take precedence at all times.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Lathrope offers about as much protection as a vest top in a thunderstorm.
Tust member 191
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Sep 2017, 06:17 I think ball retention and balance, team shape and the ability to retain possession should take precedence at all times.
Robbie Herrera seems to agree; saying this on the OS this morning.......

“We have worked a lot on our shape, with and without the ball. More time has been spent on the defence because we have conceded a few [goals]. I think the shape of the team is taking quite nicely. The lads are understanding their roles and responsibilities."
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The comments seem to confirm that under Nicholson Herrera had little or no input. As caretaker he has at least put the players under improved training.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Which is actually total bullshit.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Sep 2017, 07:43 Robbie Herrera seems to agree; saying this on the OS this morning.......

“We have worked a lot on our shape, with and without the ball. More time has been spent on the defence because we have conceded a few [goals]. I think the shape of the team is taking quite nicely. The lads are understanding their roles and responsibilities."
A bloke you have destroyed on the forums as being completely inept agrees with you?

How beautifully ironic!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Sep 2017, 07:43 Robbie Herrera seems to agree; saying this on the OS this morning.......

Merse's son at 16 years old understands his roles and responsibilities... why is it taking so longer for a first team of professionals to understand the fundamentals?!