The Trust

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

gullpower wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 10:50 If the fans were running the club would it have taken 3 weeks to appoint a new manager!?
No; but I suspect they might well have opted for a 'Hargreaves/Nicholson type of character.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

As a Trust member, I would hope not but we will probably never be in a position to find out.
TUST number 080
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

merse btpir wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 11:48 No; but I suspect they might well have opted for a 'Hargreaves/Nicholson type of character.
But as a democratic body fan's opinions would carry some weight and if such a crass decision was made those responsible could be voted out.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

But you'd still have had a cretin managing the club!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

merse btpir wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 11:48 No; but I suspect they might well have opted for a 'Hargreaves/Nicholson type of character.
I'm not sure that would necessarily be the case, especially if you look at the Exeter model.

When Inglethorpe (who was a pretty left-field choice himself), Exeter had the choice between Tisdale, Shaun Taylor and Jimmy Quinn. I don't think you'd have found any Exeter fans campaigning for Tisdale and most complained that he wore jeans to his interview. But Tisdale it was as that group of supporters who were elected to make the decisions, had a clear vision which has stood them well in time.

Had 'the herd' made the choice they'd have probably ended up with Quinn or Taylor and still be marooned in the Conference.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

TUST members will now know that Michael Goulbourne has just resigned as chairman for personal reasons.

I was involved actively with TUST a few years ago and still help with the annual accounts so I know how much Michael has put in to an often thankless task. He took over at a stage when TUST was effectively in mothballs and reinvigorated it with help from a small band of others who reformed the TUST board. Even now the TUST is totally reliant on a few active board members and if ever there was a time for a rally cry it is now.

Perhaps some of those who criticise TUST from the outside could consider doing so from within as it is a democratic organisation and open to all.

Thanks for your leadership, Michael

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z4sNf6ViKS
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

gateman49 wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 15:30 TUST members will now know that Michael Goulbourne has just resigned as chairman for personal reasons.

I was involved actively with TUST a few years ago and still help with the annual accounts so I know how much Michael has put in to an often thankless task. He took over at a stage when TUST was effectively in mothballs and reinvigorated it with help from a small band of others who reformed the TUST board. Even now the TUST is totally reliant on a few active board members and if ever there was a time for a rally cry it is now.

Perhaps some of those who criticise TUST from the outside could consider doing so from within as it is a democratic organisation and open to all.

Hear Hear!.

Trust members will also know that far from being unfit for purpose, as some would have us believe, the trust have in the last 2 years successfully coordinated efforts to prevent the unjustified sale of Plainmoor 3 times.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

I'm staggered to read this and saddened that Michael feels he cannot carry on. A really big loss for TUST, and if only they knew it, the supporters of TUFC.

At what other club would supporters rail against the very organisation that seeks to promote and protect their interests? The forelock-tuggers of the TUFC fanbase are certainly reaping what they sow and how much worse might it have been had TUST not undertaken the work they have already done with so little thanks?

Thanks, Michael for all you have done so far.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

hector wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 16:29Thanks, Michael for all you have done so far.
Seconded. :-D
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

hector wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 16:29 I'm staggered to read this and saddened that Michael feels he cannot carry on. A really big loss for TUST, and if only they knew it, the supporters of TUFC.

At what other club would supporters rail against the very organisation that seeks to promote and protect their interests? The forelock-tuggers of the TUFC fanbase are certainly reaping what they sow and how much worse might it have been had TUST not undertaken the work they have already done with so little thanks?

Thanks, Michael for all you have done so far.
If the TUST were to tell non-members exactly what they're doing i.e. contingency plans should the worst happen then I would definitely consider joining. The reason I am yet to join is because of this lack of clear direction visible from the outside.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Admiral, Perhaps you haven't seen Matt Gorman's post on page 2 of this thread? He is TUST treasurer and I'm sure that he can add more if what you see isn't enough.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

This was the email Michael sent out to all members. Every single supporter of TUFC should heed his words - especially those who fall for the denigrating of TUST, those who fall for the undermining from David Thomas and those who fell for the deliberate misleadings of the previous board.

Email below:
Dear Member …

The last couple of years, most likely as a result of youthful excess, I have struggled with a number of health issues. Whilst the last year has not easy I have not let these issues distract me from my TUST responsibilities. However, last year an immediate family member suffered a serious illness that required major surgery. Sadly that illness has returned, requiring further surgery followed by aggressive treatment.

I hope you understand that my place is now with my family who require my support and undivided attention, and so it is with a heavy heart that I must inform you that on Thursday September 7th I resigned my position as Chair of TUST.

My time as Chair has been challenging and I will be forever grateful for the support of my colleagues on the Board. Honed on the experience of the last three years where we have had to endure ignorance, arrogance, indifference and at times out right dishonesty, both inside and outside the Club, I am confident that there is a team in place equipped with the knowledge and experience needed to continue safeguarding the future of Torquay United.

I would like to also thank all of you who recognise the importance of a truly independent supporter organisation. Sadly, many supporters are seduced by unrealistic promises, or swayed by negative propaganda against a democratically elected, legally constituted society with the single aim of the long term survival of Torquay United.

I leave you now with this message for all supporters … “Do not wait for a crisis to happen and then expect TUST to magic a solution. Should the nightmare ever happen it will fall to TUST to try and save the day … and by then it could be to late. If you genuinely care about the future of Torquay United then show that support and join TUST ASAP. “

COYY

Kind Regards …

Michael
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Absolutely right Hector.
TUST number 080
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

gateman49 wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 15:30 TUST members will now know that Michael Goulbourne has just resigned as chairman for personal reasons.

:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER