Geoff Harrop?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Geoff Harrop?

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I've recently read a lot of negative comments regarding Geoff Harrop, however I realise that I don't actually know anything about him or his history...

I can see that he was Academy Manager / Head of Youth at Yeovil but can't find any other career or playing history for him at all?

Based upon this limited information I'd have thought the move from youth management to general management would be a significant step up? Such a delay in appointing a new manager would indicate perhaps it is too much of a step up...?

Does anyone have any background info on Geoff with regards to managerial and playing history?
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I think SouthamptonGull is the best person to answer this one!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

budegull1954 wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 14:21 I think SouthamptonGull is the best person to answer this one!
:rofl: absolute gold.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Geoff Harrop played as a youth footballer for Colchester United and then in Cyprus.

As a youth coach he learned his trade coaching a college of further education team in Colchester; at Colchester United youth development and then headed the academies of Col U and Northampton Town with a stint at Rushden & Diamonds as well before coming to Torquay both to live and work. He went to Yeovil as head of academy and of course returned last season.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He loves salads...................well dodging them anyway!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 14:52 Geoff Harrop played as a youth footballer for Colchester United and then in Cyprus.

As a youth coach he learned his trade coaching a college of further education team in Colchester; at Colchester United youth development and then headed the academies of Col U and Northampton Town with a stint at Rushden & Diamonds as well before coming to Torquay both to live and work. He went to Yeovil as head of academy and of course returned last season.
If this is the extent of his footballing CV then I can't understand how he qualifies for a general manager position at a reputable football club.

Who made such a wild decision? Was it pre-GI?

It is no wonder the management recruitment process is taking so long - the man has probably never had to hire anyone before, at least no one older than a teenager for a youth team!

Oh dear.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

And he was on Channel 4 - Location, Location, Location once. I saw that episode here in Norway where they called the show "Boligjakten UK" (Househunting UK).
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

rickl wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:33 And he was on Channel 4 - Location, Location, Location once. I saw that episode here in Norway where they called the show "Boligjakten UK" (Househunting UK).
😦
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

danjgregory wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:32 If this is the extent of his footballing CV then I can't understand how he qualifies for a general manager position at a reputable football club.

It is no wonder the management recruitment process is taking so long - the man has probably never had to hire anyone before, at least no one older than a teenager for a youth team!

Oh dear.
I understand that through marriage Geoff Harrop is related to Clarke Osbourne.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

nickbrod wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:46
I understand that through marriage Geoff Harrop is related to Clarke Osbourne.
Are they Gay?
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

nickbrod wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:46 I understand that through marriage Geoff Harrop is related to Clarke Osbourne.
Torquay United aren't a small family run corner shop - they are a football team! Surely family connection is not a valid hiring method for this type of critical role?!

Nothing shocks me anymore!
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

I remember watching the "Location, Location" programme. My recollection is that Harrop's "missus" and her mother had the cash for the property, about £500k I think, and his input into the final decision was minimal. His involvement with our youth setup at the time added a bit of an extra story line to the programme but he was merely a bystander in making any decision.
I have always assumed that because of his link to GI through his "missus" he is probably the one who introduced Clarke Osborne to Dave Phillips but I may be well off the mark with that assumption.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

MellowYellow wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 17:05 Are they Gay?
:rofl:

more absolute gold!

I think Harrop succeeds at TUFC because it appears on the face of it that he's a 'yes' man. As i've said before on here, it's more the fans who put up with this kind of thing that get my goat. Harrop is just getting paid for doing what he does (which arguably is nothing). However, if you don't like it and are prepared to accept it then what's the issue?
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 17:22 :rofl:

more absolute gold!

I think Harrop succeeds at TUFC because it appears on the face of it that he's a 'yes' man. As i've said before on here, it's more the fans who put up with this kind of thing that get my goat. Harrop is just getting paid for doing what he does (which arguably is nothing). However, if you don't like it and are prepared to accept it then what's the issue?
What channels are available where key hires like this one can be legitimately challenged in a tangible way?

I can see what all the fuss has been about! The new manager will be reporting to someone who has significantly less footballing and leadership experience than themselves.

Change at this club needs to happen top down and at the grass roots level if we are ever to transform the fortunes of the club - with solid leadership across the board including our new team manager being a priority?!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

danjgregory wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 16:32 If this is the extent of his footballing CV then I can't understand how he qualifies for a general manager position at a reputable football club.

Oh dear.
He is though more qualified to make the decision than any of his predecessors in our 100+ years of history with only the exception of Colin Lee (who I believe was involved in recruiting Buckle).

If I remember correctly it was seen as something of a coup when we lured him here from Northampton as he had a pretty good reputation in youth football circles.