Kevin Millard IS back in the Bay!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I'd be more than happy to see him in charge
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

danjgregory wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 17:34 I'd be more than happy to see him in charge
I hope you're joking.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

HEs the one wild card I'd actually back - he's done some epic things in his career and does have the kind of contacts that could bring the unexpected to plainmoor (or wherever we end up playing under GI 😞)

With that said, I think I'd still rather see Money in charge with Millard involved in some kind of scouting capacity
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Well that finishes that! After the game I had a chat with Kevin Millard's mother, who still lives in the family home in Newton Abbot, and she confirmed that Kevin had been in Torquay 2 or 3 times this summer but purely to visit her (Mr Millard passed away some time ago). She had only been to see Torquay play twice in the last couple of years and she didnt think Kevin had been while he was here. She did, however, confirm that he has no interest in working with Torquay United as he is managing a club in Spain's second or third division, she didnt remember which. I must say that reading one or two comments on here about he could be used as a scout in the Carribean strikes me as a bit of an insult to the man. After all, he has a proven track record in management, achieving the sort of success that most of us could only dream about. I knew Don o'Riordan well both during his time at the Gulls and when he was in charge of several clubs in the League of Ireland and he was an ardent fan of Millard, having signed eight or nine players from his Lambada club over a five/six year period. I guess that having managed and coached at those levels of course he wouldnt be good enough to work with us in the higher echelons of the National League. It is precisely that sort of negative attitude that has drained us and got us into the mess we are now in. And we will continue to struggle with that sort of negative thinking. I would pay double to have a Torquay side going out and playing with flair, pace, individual skills and ability that we saw with Greg Goodridge and Rodney Jack. It appears Millard continues to reap success with that positive approach to playing football, and has done and is still doing so, in footballing countries such as Argentina and Spain. Meanwhile, here in Devon, we moan and groan but question whether someone of that calibre would be ''the right man'' for us at Torquay United! Forgive me later in the season when I say I told you so!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

misstheolddays wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 22:01 I guess that having managed and coached at those levels of course he wouldnt be good enough to work with us in the higher echelons of the National League. It is precisely that sort of negative attitude that has drained us and got us into the mess we are now in.
Thanks to Thea Bristow and Dave Phillips gifting the job to Hargreaves and Nicholson as some sort of testimonial/benefit that's exactly the mess we got into and will struggle for some time to get out of thanks to them.
Last edited by merse btpir on 02 Sep 2017, 23:03, edited 2 times in total.
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

I tend to agree with you there. Sadly very few footballers make good coaches/managers, in particular if they try and manage at the club they played for originally. When combining this with totally inexperienced chairpersons and directors, who may have money but no idea about running a football club, then the only possible outcome is what we are seeing here now. I have spent the best part of 33 years watching TUFC and am absolutely dismayed at the position we now find ourselves in. We need a total change of direction, of thinking both on and off the field of play, and a positive and new approach to how we should be playing. We do not have good enough players, we have not had a good enough manager for a considerable time, and we are getting deeper into the mire. Relegation from this League will be a catastrophe, but it is a distinct possibility, and if it happens it will spell the end of TUFC as anything other than an amateur club. Sad, sad days.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I think we know your views on Bristow, Phillips, Hargreaves and Nicholson Merse.....
For Gods sake how many more times?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It's relevant to the discussion ~ really relevant ~ and if you don't like it; scroll on or block me!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 22:07 Thanks to Thea Bristow and Dave Phillips gifting the job to Hargreaves and Nicholson as some sort of testimonial/benefit that's exactly the mess we got into and will struggle for some time to get out of thanks to them.

Hardly Thea's fault!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It was Thea who insisted on Hargreaves; it was Thea who signed off the appointment of Alan Knill and it was Thea who authorised the dispensing of Martin Ling over the phone.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 08:37 It was Thea who insisted on Hargreaves; it was Thea who signed off the appointment of Alan Knill and it was Thea who authorised the dispensing of Martin Ling over the phone.

Nothing to do with the idiots in charge behind the scenes using Thea like a puppet string.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Well if you let 'idiots in charge behind the scenes' use you as a 'puppet string'; what does that make you?
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 18:50 Well if you let 'idiots in charge behind the scenes' use you as a 'puppet string'; what does that make you?

Not experienced in business but keeping the club afloat by pumping in £3 million of her own money.