Phoenix club, start planning now

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

arcadia wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:38 You give up you'll have nothing.
Is a Phoenix club nothing, there'd be a lot of work to do and organising, does that sound like giving up and having nothing?

Or, just keep blindly supporting as is, and blindly hoping it will improve despite the obvious, yeah let's all have blind optimism, I'm sure that's always worked in the past.

It's true, in life there are the ones that do and achieve and get things done, and then there are the Ines that are afraid to do, who never achieve and always follow or accept their lot, and the latter always needs to pour piss on the fire for fear of it being proven to them that they are losers.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

arrywithanh wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:14 hope not, jeeeessss

You definitely wouldn't be around if Breedy was back. Run for the hills!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

arcadia wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:38 You give up you'll have nothing.
Oh dear. This is what we're up against. Although i admire your principles arcadia and i generally applaud solidarity although i feel it's grossly misguided in this instance. Sorry.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

If this has been on the cards since Ling left, why has nobody actually done anything?

It's all just hot air
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Jeff wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:50 If this has been on the cards since Ling left, why has nobody actually done anything?

It's all just hot air

Because football always brings a glimmer of hope on every occasion. However, I think it's all becoming a little too much for every single TUFC supporter right now.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Jeff wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:50 If this has been on the cards since Ling left, why has nobody actually done anything?

It's all just hot air
I would say, it's been slowly declining since ling left, but up to last season and this season there was still room for optimism, not much, but some.

Don't know about you or anyone else but I'm all out of optimism regarding league position and the people running the club.

It's now at a point where you surely have to be born yesterday to still think the club has a future.

For me, that's why nothing has actually been done.

The other issue is, for every post in support of the idea, there is a negative post to shoot the idea down. It takes all sorts to make up a message board, but let the idea run, let's hear suggestions on what we could do and how best to go about it, if you have a negative opinion, but no actual substance to that opinion then start a new thread in opposition to the idea and leave this one free to grow with ideas and maybe a plan will come out of it.
Constructive criticism is always welcome but if all you have to say is, "it won't work, blah blah" why not keep it to yourself.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

It's all just hot air
Totally agree Jeff. I'm 100% behind the OP and i'm 100% for a phoenix club but neither of us, nor anyone else is going to be the catalyst for it to begin. That's the blunt truth of it. I have my 'issues' from a mental health perspective and also have a distance issue to overcome. Whilst i could be a passionate part of a newly formed club and be able to help in many ways, i'm not a suitable person to be responsible for overseeing things and being one of the 'main men' so to speak.

From that angle this makes me even more frustrated because i do know that without my health 'issues' i'd have had an AFC Torquay up and running years ago. I guess that's why i'm quite aggressive and pushy with the pro-phoenix club agenda.

What a phoenix club needs is a handful of people to really stop faffing around posting on message boards (no disrespect to WestLondon et al, i'm just as guilty) and actually get together and start working out how exactly we will go about achieving this. Action not words.

Unfortunately i can never see this happening and that makes me fearful for the future of football in Torquay because i'm of the opinion that fans are sleepwalking into a catastrophe with regards the current TUFC and there just won't be the pro-active individuals needed to raise a Phoenix club when (IMO) that inevitability occurs.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Yorkieandy wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 20:03 Totally agree Jeff. I'm 100% behind the OP and i'm 100% for a phoenix club but neither of us, nor anyone else is going to be the catalyst for it to begin. That's the blunt truth of it. I have my 'issues' from a mental health perspective and also have a distance issue to overcome. Whilst i could be a passionate part of a newly formed club and be able to help in many ways, i'm not a suitable person to be responsible for overseeing things and being one of the 'main men' so to speak.

From that angle this makes me even more frustrated because i do know that without my health 'issues' i'd have had an AFC Torquay up and running years ago. I guess that's why i'm quite aggressive and pushy with the pro-phoenix club agenda.

What a phoenix club needs is a handful of people to really stop faffing around posting on message boards (no disrespect to WestLondon et al, i'm just as guilty) and actually get together and start working out how exactly we will go about achieving this. Action not words.

Unfortunately i can never see this happening and that makes me fearful for the future of football in Torquay because i'm of the opinion that fans are sleepwalking into a catastrophe with regards the current TUFC and there just won't be the pro-active individuals needed to raise a Phoenix club when (IMO) that inevitability occurs.
Ok, you make some good points

So, how about a show if hands, who is willing to get involved in this and take the first difficult steps together?

Then we take the discussions offline.

I'm in.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I will tell anyone who wants to listen, straight, A phoenix club will NOT work full stop without Plainmoor. Every successful Phoenix club project has been off the back of, the new club either retaining the existing stadium, i.e Aldershot, Chester, Fc Halifax, or having plenty of useable stadium's to move into, like AFC Wimbledon and others.

Jeff has it nailed here, where would AFC Torquay play, forget Coach road, sharing with Buckland, or using some pitch in a school, total non-starters, so where else, Clennon Valley, really ? is the Phoenix club going to invest the money to stop it flooding mid-winter, would it even have the money, would the phoenix club have the money to build at ground at the Willows, the only part of the bay flat enough to do so, doubt that also.

If any potential phoenix club could retain Plainmoor (and do we really think G.I hard nosed and very professional business men are going allow that to happen, they will end up with the ownership of the ground, despite any, and all efforts to stop them) then there could be some mileage in this, then of course there's attracting players, could AFC Torquay compete with an upwardly mobile Buckland Athletic who are heading towards the Southern League for the best players around the Bay, South Hams Teignbridge and afar, doubt that also.

There are some roadblocks to setting up a phoenix club in some areas, in this area there are mountains to climb.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

WestLondonYellow wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:58 I would say, it's been slowly declining since ling left, but up to last season and this season there was still room for optimism, not much, but some.

Don't know about you or anyone else but I'm all out of optimism regarding league position and the people running the club.

It's now at a point where you surely have to be born yesterday to still think the club has a future.

For me, that's why nothing has actually been done.

The other issue is, for every post in support of the idea, there is a negative post to shoot the idea down. It takes all sorts to make up a message board, but let the idea run, let's hear suggestions on what we could do and how best to go about it, if you have a negative opinion, but no actual substance to that opinion then start a new thread in opposition to the idea and leave this one free to grow with ideas and maybe a plan will come out of it.
Constructive criticism is always welcome but if all you have to say is, "it won't work, blah blah" why not keep it to yourself.
What utter flannel. "If you don't like my no-substance idea, post somewhere else".

If you would actually be bothered, you'll find a post by myself from back in maybe Jan/Feb of this year on this very topic. Not rubbishing it at all, just pointing out some of the many pitfalls that would have to be overcome. And nobody was able to come up with any comments that would resolve those pitfalls. So for me, nothing has changed.

To reiterate - there are NO ground suitable of hosting any level of senior football in the bay. So "AFC Torquay" would have to play miles away. Buckland or Coach Road. Not ideal. And for how long? How long will it take for a fan-owned club to raise the sort of capital to build a new ground within Torbay? Millions of years no doubt, seeing as we can't get behind the existing club enough to fund a decent NL team. Any new club would need to have a route-map back to playing in Torquay before a lot of fans would buy in.

What league would this new team pitch for? Absolute best hope would be the Western League Div 1 as it's a new club rather than a resurrection. More likely is the Peninsula League - 5 promotions away from where we are now. Would the "hardcore" 1500 fans stick by the club there? Not likely I'd say. Be lucky to get 10% of that.

How would the club generate income? Because with no ground and no other assets, it would just be gate receipts. So would the new club rely on a membership scheme then? What would that look like? One member = one vote? How much would the stake be? I guess someone would need to know how much the whole venture would cost to make that sort of statement. Saying "I'd put in £500" is largely irrelevant, as you have no idea how much of a percentage of that puts in. And is that a one-off payment or a yearly thing? As this is for the long term, right?

Where would the players come from? Remember, TUFC is largely ridiculed in local football circles and there is no comparably levelled club this side of Tiverton. We'd have to hope the cream of the Stoke Gabriel and Bovey Tracey sides would sign up.

That's just off the top off my head. I'm not poo-pooing the idea of a Phoenix club totally, but we - as a fan base - are so SO far away from being able to organise one. If someone thinks it's viable, wants to grab the idea by the balls, come up with detailed resolutions to the issues above (and more) and get some momentum going then fair play to them - I'll be interested and happy to get behind it if it's realistic.

But until then, it's just an ill-thought whim in someone's head
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

forevertufc wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 20:09 I will tell anyone who wants to listen, straight, A phoenix club will NOT work full stop without Plainmoor. Every successful Phoenix club project has been off the back of, the new club either retaining the existing stadium, i.e Aldershot, Chester, Fc Halifax, or having plenty of useable stadium's to move into, like AFC Wimbledon and others.

Jeff has it nailed here, where would AFC Torquay play, forget Coach road, sharing with Buckland, or using some pitch in a school, total non-starters, so where else, Clennon Valley, really ? is the Phoenix club going to invest the money to stop it flooding mid-winter, would it even have the money, would the phoenix club have the money to build at ground at the Willows, the only part of the bay flat enough to do so, doubt that also.

If any potential phoenix club could retain Plainmoor (and do we really think G.I hard nosed and very professional business men are going allow that to happen, they will end up with the ownership of the ground, despite any, and all efforts to stop them) then there could be some mileage in this, then of course there's attracting players, could AFC Torquay compete with an upwardly mobile Buckland Athletic who are heading towards the Southern League for the best players around the Bay, South Hams Teignbridge and afar, doubt that also.

There are some roadblocks to setting up a phoenix club in some areas, in this area there are mountains to climb.
You may know more than me regarding current landscape on grounds, but interested to know, why couldn't we share coach road or buckland, or what about teignmouth's ground, or Torquay rugby club, pitch might be an issue there I guess.

If it started now, and gained some momentum, would this. It be cause to lobby the council not to sell to GI as there is a club on the rise ready to move in?

Anyway, as said before, those interested in Persuing this idea, throw your hat in the ring and we'll can discuss offline. Maybe those discussions end up proving it is an impossible task, maybe not, but we could try at least.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I think Scarborough Athletic are the benchmark. They have been created from nothing and survived and progressed on gates of around 4-500 whilst groundsharing at Bridlington Town. They get just below 1000 now they moved into a new 2000 capacity stadium last month however they are still 2 leagues away from NL.

They too are in a reasonably isolated geographical position and have to compete with the likes of Harrogate, York City, Bridlington Town, Pickering Town, Taddy Albion and other well respected and seasoned non league clubs so the Buckland example cuts no ice with me.

I would expect a similar outcome at Torquay. Groundshare with a local side and just get the football club established and solvent. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication from a lot of people but it can be done.

Even if 500 Torquay fans broke away and formed a new club, there is no reason why it couldn't survive within it's means and make everyone proud and happy about football once more.

I'd just be happy for a change feeling part of a football club that isn't hellbent on treating me like a doormat / simpleton. The latter though they'd have a point. :lol:

Just thoughts anyway. It's an interesting discussion.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:45
You definitely wouldn't be around if Breedy was back. Run for the hills!
lol, well for a start I think running is off the agenda for breedy
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Difference with Scarborough Andy is the original club had gone out of business. This proposal is more of a "splinter group" to stick one to GI.

More like FC United, Enfield Town and AFC Liverpool (who? Exactly - that's a good example of how these ideas can fail) rather than Halifax, Chester and AFC Telford
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

WestLondonYellow wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 19:23 Wow, what a positive post.

I suppose we could kill off the idea by imagining that the only way to make something happen is for 1 man to put 20k in the pot....or, here's just one possible other option, of many, just maybe, a number of fans club together, 40 fans, put £500 each in, is that an option? Or is that as unrealistic as seeing a real dragon?

And before you ask, yes I would put 500 in, I would put 1000 in, and I'd do that annually if it meant creating something to keep Torquay having a football club.
Fair enough, I would pledge £500 also