Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Cant understand how the name of Gary Owers has not come up before - and a very underwhelming one it is. Better than Ronnie Moore, eh?

Just one idea, but I think Gowlings touchline animation has been an attempt to generate a Player/Assnt Manager role for himself. Maybe Not a bad idea as Herrera is not up to it.
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

It seems underwhelming on the surface and it shouldn't have taken 4 weeks. We should give the bloke a chance though!! It would be very ironic if we pick up our first 3 points at Barrow!! 😂
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

From Westley, Bignot, Moore and Cox to Gary **** Owers.

GI's Joke Club.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

View1 wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 18:09 I'm not going to name names but I have been in direct contact with someone directly associated today to voice my frustration and try and find out what's going.

If what I was told is correct then the outcome could still be positive (even though it's taken too long). If what I told was correct then we are close to employing a head coach with experience as a head coach/manager in this league and above and someone who looks to play good football.

This person has also never been associated to the club. Reading between the lines they may not be in place by Tuesdays game but should be before the end of the week at the latest. They will also have a decent budget to work with.

I'm not saying that what I have been told isn't complete crap but it was from a direct source and the conversation was positive enough for me to go believe what was being said, I hope my gut to believe this is correct.
Seems it was indeed complete crap.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

I agree, after the conversation I felt more positive I have to admit. He stated they had the green light to appoint the man they wanted, who had the experience required in this league and above (as a manager/head coach) and who they felt would play good football etc.

If this is the appointment then I can't help feeling I was lied too as this is just a cheap option and the managerial experience clearly isn't there, we have passed up the chance to appoint an experienced manager who have a proven track record of turning things around. Makes no sense if this is true.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Well this is now the darkest, lowest day we have all experienced as a Torquay fan. If he is announced as the new manager after a months wait, it is sole destroying from a fans prospective. It's all too depressing to believe.
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

smw1989 wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 16:42 Harrop,

You are a ***************** who paraded around plainmoor basically because you have a ********** You will never be trusted by us fans again and you can place anybody in charge, all the hate and anamosity will most definitely be aimed at you and your *********** you couldn't even run.........
Ok you have it spot on. Hopefully admin will re-edit your original post.
Lucy
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

View1 wrote: 12 Sep 2017, 23:25 It would say all we need to know about the boards aspirations. No way can Harrop justify a month of casting his net to pull out this tiddler of an appointment.

No managerial experience in this league or above, a few assistant manager jobs and currently mid table with Bath City doesn't excite.
Owers has managed in this league, he was at FGR in 2005-6 when they finished 19th.

But I agree it is pretty underwhelming, incidently he is also the chief English scout for Patrick thistle.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Shakes head with disappointment

I really hope DevonLive have got it wrong and that it's just another rumour.

I guess we will find out sometime this decade?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

HARROP lol

Honestly 4 weeks for that you FOOL
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

CraigUnder wrote: 12 Sep 2017, 23:48 From Westley, Bignot, Moore and Cox to Gary **** Owers.

GI's Joke Club.
Clearly this is only person who wants to work for these pair of FOOLS.

I've nothing against this bloke from bath city....

IF IT'S HIM GOOD LUCK ....i just can't believe my eyes when I read IT
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Football is full of fans being 'underwhelmed' when a less than readily to mind 'name' gets a management job. Not a defence of Geoff Harrop here but one of Gary Qwers; doe s anyone really now what sort of manager he is?

Does anyone really know what sort of working chemistry he has with his assistant Jim Rollo ~ who I'm pretty certain must have been the guy people noticed in the technical area on Saturday?

I was told of his appointment on the way to yesterday's game and sure enough he was there in the main stand where I was sitting last night; left along with Rollo after McGinty gifted his second goal of the evening to Brett Williams and would have seen a second half capitulation of alarming proportions; a coup-de-grace executed by a player his successor did not have the common sense to build his side around and once again ineffectually match managed by his assistant left in charge of the sinking ship.

Welcome aboard the Marie Celeste Gary; you're going to need a ruddy good clear out of it's scurvy ridden crew and let's hope you are given carte blanche to start doing so immediately!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Obviously not the appointment we were hoping for. But I'll at least give the guy a chance before I start burning effigies of him in the street.

On the face of it, given that Owers career seems to have centred around the Bath/Bristol area where Clarke Osborn apparently resides - and not far from the non-stadium projects of GI's at Swindon and Reading - this smacks of an inside job. A known man to GI; a yes man like we all feared.

But then on the other hand, he does have a fair bit of experience in coaching, scouting and as assistant manager. He's not done too badly with Bath; and to be fair their team today would probably turn us over - there are some quite decent names there (Anthony Straker, Frankie Artus, Jack Compton, Jamie Lucas, Nat Jarvis) who may follow him, you never know. And the fact he has been working as a scout/head of recruitment in the recent past suggests he might have a much wider knowledge than Nico ever did. I mean he might even have seen a player play before bringing him in on loan; imagine that!

Can't pretend he won't have a monumental task on his hands, both to save the club and to win over the fans. But if Owers is the man, at least give him the chance to be sh*t first before crucifying him
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Jeff wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 07:15 Obviously not the appointment we were hoping for. But I'll at least give the guy a chance before I start burning effigies of him in the street.

On the face of it, given that Owers career seems to have centred around the Bath/Bristol area where Clarke Osborn apparently resides - and not far from the non-stadium projects of GI's at Swindon and Reading - this smacks of an inside job. A known man to GI; a yes man like we all feared.

But then on the other hand, he does have a fair bit of experience in coaching, scouting and as assistant manager. He's not done too badly with Bath; and to be fair their team today would probably turn us over - there are some quite decent names there (Anthony Straker, Frankie Artus, Jack Compton, Jamie Lucas, Nat Jarvis) who may follow him, you never know. And the fact he has been working as a scout/head of recruitment in the recent past suggests he might have a much wider knowledge than Nico ever did. I mean he might even have seen a player play before bringing him in on loan; imagine that!

Can't pretend he won't have a monumental task on his hands, both to save the club and to win over the fans. But if Owers is the man, at least give him the chance to be sh*t first before crucifying him
:goodpost:
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Completely agree.

Very underwhelming appointment given the names that were bandied about, but let's give him a chance, eh?