Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I think the prospect of any manager currentlynin employment deserting their post to join us is fanciful in the extreme.

The notion that the manager of Dover - 3rd in the league and off the back of 2 playoff challenging seasons - would up sticks to move to Torquay is just incredible.

The odds will be stacked in favour of us appointing someone currently out of work. Mark Yates or Richard Money are the best, most feasible names being mentioned
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Think Hedges will be more involved with picking the team and setting it up than Harrop !
Not sure how many games of ours he watches but he certainly was not there on tuesday to do the
half time draw ! After watching that rubbish like the rest of us they thought enough is enough and we are
not going anywhere under the current management.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

For me one of the biggest obstacles now facing us is GIs lack of football background and knowledge which I believe has led to this situation.
It is too early in the season to start trying to prise incumbent managers away from their clubs, they have only just confirmed their squads and got things started.
I believe that if this club had been run by football savvy people Nicholson would have been sacked in May as it was evident from last season he lacks tactical nous. But GI decided to keep him because they thought he had fan backing. Nicholson didn't help himself either by signing crocked players in the summer.
Unless GI are taking advice from an unknown football source I don't have much faith in them getting the decision right. Of course it remains to be seen just what GI actually want to do with the club.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 01:56 Former Tranmere Rovers boss Gary Brabin is also currently out of work, Nicky. Other jobless managers with Conference experience include John Beck, Dino Maamria and Sammy McIlroy.

Ray
are you just plucking names out of the air?

beck and mcilroy haven't managed for at least 5yrs, brabin is a proven basket case and maamria was asst at Newport to westley before getting fired with them bottom of the league.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jeff wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 07:36 I think the prospect of any manager currentlynin employment deserting their post to join us is fanciful in the extreme.

The notion that the manager of Dover - 3rd in the league and off the back of 2 playoff challenging seasons - would up sticks to move to Torquay is just incredible.

The odds will be stacked in favour of us appointing someone currently out of work. Mark Yates or Richard Money are the best, most feasible names being mentioned

agree jeff.

I can just imagine that phone call to Dover - they'd be sat there laughing their caps off!!
wouldn't mind yates or money tbh.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Breaking radio silence to wish Robbie Herrera good luck for the Guiseley game tomorrow.

Also, won't this much vaunted (well, talked about a while ago and almost completely forgotten by now) 'local board' - due to be announced in under two weeks, iirc - want to have some say in who the new manager might be?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

There's only one possible candidate (ask Northampton Gull): Garry Bigot!

But....wait....what about Alan Knill's brother, Kevvy?
LankyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull »

We need an experienced manager who's been around the block and has contacts. We aren't in a wealthy area of the country, why would London, Birmingham or any other big city based players want to up sticks and move to Devon when they can join the likes of Boreham, Solihull or something similar for more or less the same money and not even move house just possibly increase their commute.

I just don't think an inexperienced manager gamble is enough because that's exactly their nature, it's a gamble but one we cannot afford to take. Yes you can look at the likes of Danny Cowley who took Braintree to the play offs in then Lincoln to the FL with a good cup run but who honestly expected a school teacher from Essex to do that. It's too hit or miss for our situation.

I don't know off the top of my head any experienced managers who are available but there must be some surely!
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Surely Herrera is off too.
DuckDuckGull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DuckDuckGull »

I think we have to be realistic. The main thing is a manager who can settle a sinking ship (which we are and anyone who says otherwise is in denial). This is done by showing loyalty to a club and also by contacts at clubs to help signings. A strong coaching background is also important in my eyes. As I mentioned with the opening thread the managers mentioned offer that. Mark Collier for example currently has players on loan from Chelsea and Bristol City so must have good contacts at the clubs? Also his assistant is an ex pro who has played in the football league for Swindon and Reading so could offer further contacts? Budget is important and loan players will be needed. I wouldnt mind a player from Chelsea thats for sure.
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Bomber »

DuckDuckGull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 13:15 I think we have to be realistic. The main thing is a manager who can settle a sinking ship (which we are and anyone who says otherwise is in denial). This is done by showing loyalty to a club and also by contacts at clubs to help signings. A strong coaching background is also important in my eyes. As I mentioned with the opening thread the managers mentioned offer that. Mark Collier for example currently has players on loan from Chelsea and Bristol City so must have good contacts at the clubs? Also his assistant is an ex pro who has played in the football league for Swindon and Reading so could offer further contacts? Budget is important and loan players will be needed. I wouldnt mind a player from Chelsea thats for sure.
Tony Boyce always used to say that any Torquay United manager needed three things above all else: contacts, contacts and contacts.

Colin Lee's mantra was always recruitment, recruitment and recruitment.
DuckDuckGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by DuckDuckGull »

Absolutely agree with that Bomber. You dont get much bigger than having contacts at Chelsea and as for the South-West area realistically Bristol City, Swindon and Reading are as good as its going to get. I think its an avenue worth exploring and would be surprised and disappointed if someone like this didnt get an interview to atleast see what they can offer. I live in Bath and watched Chippenham beat them 5-2 a week back. Very impressive. Had me thinking since then that would be interesting to see what could be done at a bigger club.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:11 FFS this is making my p155 boil.
we need someone with NL experience FFS.
no southern leaguers etc. no ex players.
have lessons (sadly re Nicho) not been learnt??? :@
Gee SNW. is that ever painfull. can you take something for it?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
BrummieGull71
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nathan Blissett

Post by BrummieGull71 »

Personally I think Marcus Bignot would be a great appointment.

Look at the work he done at Solihull Moors, he was used to working with lower budgets in the NL and has a track record of developing infrastructures within a football club to make them sustainable operations.

Granted it might not of worked out for him at Grimsby but his record there wasn't bad, he is a manager who coaches his side well and isn't all about long-ball. At Solihull he developed a First Team and an U18 and left with a thriving community programme and an academy with over 35 Junior Teams so he clearly has a vision of development.

He know the NL and guessing he is chomping at the bit to get back involved following his Grimsby stint. We need stability and I think some of the lower level managers maybe a bit off that challenge.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

BrummieGull71 wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 14:21 Personally I think Marcus Bignot would be a great appointment.

Look at the work he done at Solihull Moors, he was used to working with lower budgets in the NL and has a track record of developing infrastructures within a football club to make them sustainable operations.

Granted it might not of worked out for him at Grimsby but his record there wasn't bad, he is a manager who coaches his side well and isn't all about long-ball. At Solihull he developed a First Team and an U18 and left with a thriving community programme and an academy with over 35 Junior Teams so he clearly has a vision of development.

He know the NL and guessing he is chomping at the bit to get back involved following his Grimsby stint. We need stability and I think some of the lower level managers maybe a bit off that challenge.
fair shout.

TUST Member 468