Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 20:16
Last edited by lucy6lucy on 22 Aug 2017, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jeff wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 20:00 If it is Wilkinson, I don't necessarily think it's the cheap option. A lot of people on here are/were clamouring for an ambitious manager from a rung or two below, and this could be it.

You can't argue with Wilkinsons record with Hungerford, and the squad of players he's got doesn't look on paper like he had a massive budget to splash. If he was highly regarded, I wouldn't expect him to be cheap.

I'd be behind this appointment if it happens. Ticks enough boxes for me
No - it won't be a cheap option because Hungerford's asst manager and the coach have resigned as well. So it's fairly obvious that they are lined up to join Wilkinson wherever he plans to end up. So that's three filling the roles carried out by two up to now - i.e. an extra name on the payroll. Also, presumably there would be no place for robbie Herrara so he would have to be paid off. So most definitely not a cheap option.

What we need is Brucie to give us some odds, Something like - evens Chris Todd, 2 - 1 Chris Hargreaves, 5 -2 Steve Tully,
3 - 1 Lee Mansell, 5 - 1 Sean Joyce, 8 - 1 Martyn Rogers, 25 - 1 ? Wilkinson, 50 - 1 Mark Yates, 100 - 1 Paul Cox (why would he leave a club where he has a decent playing budget to return to a club where he was so shamefully treated just two years ago ?)
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Wilkinson signed for Wealdstone.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

brooker wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 21:03 Wilkinson signed for Wealdstone.
Tulley it is then... lol
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

lucy6lucy wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 20:38
I meant to say, Tranmere are doing a good job at living up to your 'league winners' tag :)
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

smw1989 wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 16:08 Wilkinson won't be Wealdstones next manager.
He won't be... he is
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

arrywithanh wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 21:14 Random. But yes they will. Thanks Geoff
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Thomo I think it could be Hargreaves or Mansell or both . :-|
Osborne is based in Bristol. Interviews could have been done there I don't know but I can't get a no from someone.
Last edited by arcadia on 22 Aug 2017, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

arcadia wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 21:30 Thomo I think it could be Hargreaves or Mansell or both . :-|
For the love of God I hope you're wrong.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 21:30Thomo I think it could be Hargreaves or Mansell or both . :-|
Osborne is based in Bristol. Interviews could have been done there I don't know but I can't get a no from someone.
The club are prioritising appointing 'an experienced manager' ~ take it from me!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Phew ! Thats sounds positive !!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

MellowYellow wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 12:58 Both teams sitting in relegation zone after 5 games with Wealdstone one place above Hungerford on goal difference. Both clubs at the glass ceiling for promotion to NL status due to ground restrictions.

Wilkinson may go there, if that's what he believes is 'ambition'.
I am slightly surprised he moved to Wealdstone, even the Newbury papers were linking him to the Torquay job and Wilkinson himself said: “I do want to move on a level." Well, I can only say that if a team one place above Hungerford with a stadia not 'fit for purpose' is another level then we are best of without him as it is evident his ambition is nowhere near Torquay's level. Well that's my contribution for this thread dried up as I now have no idea who Torquay will appoint, but if its Tully, or Mansell or Hargreaves then I think any of these 'Three Amigos' will have a hard time convincing the many that they are the right appointment.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 23:07 The club are prioritising appointing 'an experienced manager' ~ take it from me!
Hope your pointing them to Gavin Rose of Dulwich Hamlets, Merse. Good prospect, but then maybe not the experience you personally want or the club seek.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

That sounds better.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 00:26 Hope your pointing them to Gavin Rose of Dulwich Hamlets, Merse. Good prospect, but then maybe not the experience you personally want or the club seek.
“I’m heavily involved at Dulwich Hamlet. I believe in the project and I think if I’m to leave here, it’s got to be for something I feel is going to push me on to another level.” ~ Gavin Rose

Gavin and his management team of Junior Kadi and Kevin James might be up for a move southwest; but I have one or two reservations.......

One, would they up sticks and abandon their ASPIRE project ~ http://www.thefalsenine.co.uk/2015/02/1 ... ifference/ ~ in which they work so hands on in south London producing footballers with such proliferation? I could far more see them pursuing their careers at somewhere like AFC Wimbledon, Bromley or Sutton United. Dulwich Hamlet themselves are at somewhat of a cross roads as a club with their future precariously balanced on the planning permission needed to develop a brand new fit for purpose stadium within the training ground at their Champion Hill complex and housing to be built over and around the current ground.

The only 'negative' I detect of Gavin ~ and I think he is the 'ultimate manager' at this level ~ is his failure so far to instill that final killer instinct within his squad whereby they have a bit of a soft underbelly to their undoubted superior technical ability and thus so far failing to put to bed that fantastic footballing excellence which Rose has instilled in them.

Under Gavin and his management team Hamlet returned to the Premier Division after winning the Division One South title on the last day of the 2012–13 season with a 1–1 draw against Burgess Hill Town. In 2014–15 they finished fourth in the Premier Division, qualifying for the play-offs. However, they lost 2–1 at Margate in the semi-finals. The following season the club finished fifth, and reached the play-off final after winning 1–0 at Bognor Regis Town in the semi-final, before going on to lose 3–1 at East Thurrock United. In 2016–17 Dulwich finished third in the Premier Division, qualifying for the play-offs for the third season in a row. After beating Enfield Town 4–2 in the semi-finals, they lost 2–1 at Bognor Regis Town in the final.

From only attracting less than a couple of hundred diehards before Gavin took over, Dulwich Hamlet had by far the highest attendances in Step 3 last season, with an average attendance of 1,317. Frequently higher than two thousand in a tightly packed and atmospheric little stadium and 500 more than the next highest at Stourbridge. I know that whenever I make one of my frequent visits to watch them (& I was amongst 1,600 there on Saturday to see them lose to big spending Billericay in a fantastically dramatic game) I am going to see high quality, technical football of excellence played by a mixture of experienced, accomplished players and youngsters who are undoubtedly set for bigger and better things in the game!

A “Gavin player” is a hard-working, modest young man without any attitude problems