Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 23:07 The club are prioritising appointing 'an experienced manager' ~ take it from me!
Whilst I have also heard the same as you, I do also remember your suggesting that GI would install Tully as manager as one of their first actions....

I also note you have been mentioning Paul Cox - and I remember a time (on BTPIR) when you were strongly suggesting Cox was in cahoots with GI during his time here previously. Is this no longer a worry should he return?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Richinns wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 10:01 Whilst I have also heard the same as you, I do also remember your suggesting that GI would install Tully as manager as one of their first actions....

I also note you have been mentioning Paul Cox - and I remember a time (on BTPIR) when you were strongly suggesting Cox was in cahoots with GI during his time here previously. Is this no longer a worry should he return?
Fairly certain that Merse said he'd 'heard' about Tully, then this suddenly got turned into a stick to beat him with on this forum when it didn't happen. He never confirmed it.

Also Cox was rumoured to be in league with Smurthwaithe, who ironically would have been the best of the three potential owners we could have had recently (Smurf, GI, Phillips).
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

If you ever needed a clearer indication that GI want a 'yes' man for their plans then look no further then this insight from Harrop in todays HE (when talking about stipulations for the new manager):

Must buy into "new way of thinking around Plainmoor"

We can argue all day about Nicholson's performance as manager but perhaps we are overlooking the fact GI & Harrop might have just cut out the last bit of heart and protection at the club?

Still - at least we have this (as promised) 'board of local people' to protect us from their cold and calculated business like decision making........
TUST member 328
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Richinns wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 10:57 If you ever needed a clearer indication that GI want a 'yes' man for their plans then look no further then this insight from Harrop in todays HE (when talking about stipulations for the new manager):

We can argue all day about Nicholson's performance as manager but perhaps we are overlooking the fact GI & Harrop might have just cut out the last bit of heart and protection at the club?

Still - at least we have this (as promised) 'board of local people' to protect us from their cold and calculated business like decision making........
This doesn't indicate anything to me other than the manager and G.I had different ideas on how the club should be run. Mark Warburton, for example, left Brentford because he didn't agree with their "Moneyball" formula of running the club - and they just missed out on promotion. Just because they didn't agree doesn't mean they want a yes man.

At the end of the day, like or not, they own the club and they will run it how they see fit. I am in no way pro G.I ( the jury is out for me) but taking cold and calculated business decisions is what has been missing. That is why we are neck deep in shit.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Thank you merse for the link to the Dulwich Hamlet game. Some very good football.

The winner from Jake Robinson, who I remember from his short time at Plainmoor, was some goal.

Some well known names and a gate of 1,688. I think if a Club can produce good football fans will go even if it is Non League.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

As such 'thinking' hasn't be explained to anyone why should new manager have to buy into it.

If we knew what that meant it wouldn't maybe be so hard to 'buy into' ourselves
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 09:35 :goodpost:

[highlight=yellow]And any new experienced manager coming in, has probably been a failure at his previous club[/highlight]. :)
that would be a given seeing as no manager has been totally successful in the NL.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Mark Yates looks to be the favourite http://www.devonlive.com/sport/football ... ger-368552
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

If it is Mark Yates then i would be quietly confident that under the circumstances he is the best option available at this time, I d be interested to see who he uses as his no2, i know DevonLive hints at a possible player/coach
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

As reported earlier - Mark Yates has ruled himself out. Either he was telling a bit of porkies or devonlive are speculating without having up-to-date information helping form that opinion.
TUST member 328
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

All eyes focused at the directors seats on sat then
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Just had confirmation from contact at Rovers he had not heard anything.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

who ever comes in.one thing they miss out on is signing new players. I doubt there is much quality out there on the cheap who hasn't been signed. The window will have closed by the time they are in the hot seat. so we will see how the players perform over the next few weeks.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Glostergull wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 15:34 who ever comes in.one thing they miss out on is signing new players. I doubt there is much quality out there on the cheap who hasn't been signed. The window will have closed by the time they are in the hot seat. so we will see how the players perform over the next few weeks.
There is no transfer window in the NL as i understand it. Certainly not for loan players anyway. Plus I posted on the transfer rumours threat further up there is a quite astonishing amount of players who haven't got a club yet.

Whether we could convince them down here is a completely different kettle of fish
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Richinns wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 10:57 Still - at least we have this (as promised) 'board of local people' to protect us from their cold and calculated business like decision making........
Er ..... do you mean the Board of Local People that (quote) 'would be in place before the start of the season'? But to be fair to Mr. Osborne - he didn't actually say which season. :whistle: