Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

hector wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 18:44My only concern with some of the lower league managers like Collier and Killock, and I suppose the likes of Martyn Rogers etc, is that it is all very well be a big fish in a tiny pond but would they have the scope and range of contacts to make a success of being in a National League?
The appointment will reveal all about Osborne's intentions....

I believe he will (and needs to in this instant) go for a 'been there, done it & worn the tee shirt' type of appointment. Someone who either knows the National League as it is today having worked or be working in it; or someone with a track record of lifting a similar club to Torquay United out of it......anything less and we'll all see where the club is going.

Mark Yates and Garry Hill spring to mind as 'out of work' and properly experienced types and the club will have to accept it will probably cost four times as much to employ them and their chosen back up staff as they have been laying out for Nicholson and his crew. Ian Atkins and Micky Adams could also come into that category.

There is much to be done with budget wasted on unfit crocks, a whole fitness regime to be replaced; to say nothing of players needing to be signed with Nicholson having left a hell of a mess at the bottom of the league and some disgraceful performances this season.

Let's get on with it!
Last edited by merse btpir on 19 Aug 2017, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

whatever league the candidate manager has managed at interview I would want him (or her of course) :) to prove these things.

1) In your management career what has been your win/draw/ lose ratio.
2) What budget did you have ( not sure you could check this exactly but it would need some verification)
3) How many goals did your team concede
4) How many goals did your team score
5) How many players did you sign and from where
6) What contacts have you in football. (Again difficult to prove but I would want some names) Otherwise you are relying on bullshit

This is just a starting point and each candidate should come to interview with these details.

Of course there will be a shed load of excuses if some of the above don't look good. I worked for a big Mobile phone company in development, and EXCUSES WERE NOT ALLOWED, NONE!! You got your work done on time whatever.
TUST MEMBER
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Richard Money has been mentioned. Would be a top dollar appointment. Dickie Dosh will do fine.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes you are right of course.

Should we appoint any of the Todd, Tully, Rogers, Joyce ilk then we clearly want to be relegated. I am not so sure that this will happen though (at least I hope it won't)

My money would be on Yates, for no other reason than he fits the bill and is possibly based around Osbornes neck of the woods perhaps.

I am sure whoever it is has been sounded out already. It will be interesting to see who is watching the match today.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 11:14 My money would be on Yates, for no other reason than he fits the bill and is possibly based around Osbornes neck of the woods perhaps.
He lives in Halesowen (B62) Osborne lives in the Chew Valley, south east of Bristol.

It's not where a manager lives that is important and what usually costs applicants who are short listed are the demands and conditions they set out when interviewed. What is on their CV is what gets them that far and the bottom line is how much the owner is prepared to back the man he selects and how much he can afford to. If those powers that be have any sense they would have identified their man or at least short list before giving Nicholson his P45 and will be with him (them) at the game today; if they weren't already there on Tuesday and even last Saturday. Hedges was with Harrop on Tuesday instead of scouting, so that should be read for what it suggests.

I've known some very good applicants lose out before because the ownership couldn't afford to provide the with their bottom line for accepting the offer of a job. What transpires this week will tell us a lot.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Would imagine Hedges was asked by Harrop/ Osborne to watch the game on tuesday for his opinion
Cant imagine they decided to dispense with Nicholson before tuesday/ saturdays performances
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

brucie wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 11:14 Yes you are right of course.

Should we appoint any of the Todd, Tully, Rogers, Joyce ilk then we clearly want to be relegated. I am not so sure that this will happen though (at least I hope it won't)

My money would be on Yates, for no other reason than he fits the bill and is possibly based around Osbornes neck of the woods perhaps.

I am sure whoever it is has been sounded out already. It will be interesting to see who is watching the match today.
Agreed. :goodpost:
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

desperado wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 11:50 Would imagine Hedges was asked by Harrop/ Osborne to watch the game on tuesday for his opinion
Cant imagine they decided to dispense with Nicholson before tuesday/ saturdays performances
I disagree, I think that they had already made the decision pre-Tuesday that if result and performance was poor then he would go. I also agree with a previous poster that he MAY have already lost or be losing the dressing room and that this was a factor.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Bobby Wilkinson manager of Hungerford Town, a team that has risen way beyond their means, has resigned this evening. Have watched a fair bit of Hungerford over the past few seasons and the bloke gets results! What odds?
TUST #324
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

numpte wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 19:10 Bobby Wilkinson manager of Hungerford Town, a team that has risen way beyond their means, has resigned this evening. Have watched a fair bit of Hungerford over the past few seasons and the bloke gets results! What odds?
Thats very interesting, as he has clearly done a very good job with Hungerford. Perhaps, with their ground limitations, he feels he has taken them as far as he can? I wonder if this is connected to our predicament, or is that just wishful thinking?
DuckDuckGull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DuckDuckGull »

Just seen hes resigned. Anyone know his background? Did he use to play for anyone? I know he was kitman at Reading for the youth team. If its anything like when I last watched Hungerford. If youre sat near the dugouts. Bring your earplugs.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Earlier this year he signed a 2 year extension to his contract at Hungerford Town but with a clause allowing him to move to a bigger Club.
He has been a Hungerford for 7 years.
Just the type Osborne might Appoint because Mark Yates if in the frame would cost a lot more.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Hungerford have had a bad start.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

numpte wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 19:10 Bobby Wilkinson manager of Hungerford Town, a team that has risen way beyond their means, has resigned this evening. Have watched a fair bit of Hungerford over the past few seasons and the bloke gets results! What odds?
Good shout! Sounds more than a coincidence. Wilkinson's stated ""Win, Lose or Draw, I was resigning today...but I have been thinking that my time was up a couple of weeks ago|". So what has Wilkinson been thinking for the last couple of weeks - retirement ? or and offer from a Chairman of a much bigger club?

Hungerford's Chairman stated "It's a bit of a bombshell to be honest". I expect it was given the club under the management of Wilkinson have enjoyed a meteoric rise of three league promotions in eight seasons.

So the odds - well they must have shortened quite considerably. Is he good enough? well he has been previously been linked with the likes of Maidenhead United and Eastleigh. One could say he does have more managerial experience and success than Kev had when appointed and as a former Reading academy coach and also having an established Hungerford academy (of 50 students) it fits into Torquay's development remit.

I guess it's now down to watch this space.

Adage: Hungerford Town Academy has a Full-Time Elite Football & Education Programme for 16 - 19's and compete in 3 regional leagues; National League U19 Alliance, Tactic Premier League &Tactic Championship West as well as the FA Youth Cup
Last edited by MellowYellow on 19 Aug 2017, 21:51, edited 3 times in total.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I would happy for us to go for Kevin Wilkin. He managed Nuneaton Town to a few promotions up to the National Leaguefore being appointed as manager of Wrexham. It didn't quite work for him there but he did get them to the FA trophy final. Now managrof Brackley, they had a good cup run last season and are currently top of NLN having won all of their first 5 games.

There are also experienced managers like Steve Burr, Dave Hockaday who may be available.