Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 01:56 Former Tranmere Rovers boss Gary Brabin is also currently out of work, Nicky. Other jobless managers with Conference experience include John Beck, Dino Maamria and Sammy McIlroy. Ray
Arrrrgh ! Brabin, Beck ...... why do you hate Torquay ???? Sammy McIllroy had some success at Macclesfield and Morecambe, but he has been out of management since 2011. In any case, he's a Northern lad and I doubt he would want to re-locate to Devon. Maamria - no track record to give any confidence. Last position was Asst Manager at Newport in 2016/17 where he and the manager (Graham Westley(?)) were sacked when the club was 11 points adrift at the bottom.

Personally, I wouldn't discount an ambitious successful manager from a National South or North side. I wouldn't look any lower than that level. Tom Killick (Poole) and Mark Collier (Chippenham) have already been mentioned. Poole would have been in the Nat South Play Offs last season but their pitch didn't come up to National League standards so they couldn't. Do I recall a Clarke Osborne connection with Poole's ground limitations, or am I imagining it? He's been at Poole for 7 years so may have got the 7 year itch ?? Maybe Soton gull has an opinion on Tom Killick? However, both Mark Yates and Richard Money are good shouts ......

Now here's a thing. Who will appoint the new manager? Why, the Board of Directors of course. Er ...... we haven't got a Board of Directors. Mr Osborne is in sole charge. So presumably he and his sidekick (forget his name) will make the decision, and both admit to knowing little about football. Only at TUFC ....... :'(
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It wont be Osborne and Rich, Tomo more like Hedges and Harrop
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I played regularly against Killick when he was at Wimborne, he's definitely got a winners mentality but I'd be very surprised if he took the job even if it was offered, tomo.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I still reckon Micky Adams is a good shout - I sent him the blog link via linkedin to take a look at!

I believe the club needs to think a little bigger with its managerial recruitment - whilst TUFC have had a tough couple of seasons, the club belongs in League 2 or above - therefore in my opinion we need to be thinking ahead at that level and not looking below us at the minor leagues.

The managerial decision should be made on the future potential of the club and not the present conditions, based on the assumption that Torquay WILL be back in League 2 by next season.

As much as I really like Nicho, I don't think that he set the expectation that winning is the only acceptable standard - I saw too many justifications, talk of other teams being hard to beat and giving pats on the back for hard work.

Unfortunately, hard work without results counts for nothing.

We should be seen as the opposition to fear...its a mindset that needs to be adopted throughout Plainmoor and become embedded in our culture.

The club have to start thinking like a winning team with the mentality that the club belongs in League 2 or above, and to operate with this as the standard in our recruitment both on and off the field, even in the face of tight budgets.
Last edited by Bristol_Gull on 18 Aug 2017, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

danjgregory wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 18:26 I still reckon Micky Adams is a good shout - I sent him the blog link via linkedin to take a look at!

I believe the club needs to think a little bigger with its managerial recruitment - whilst TUFC have had a tough couple of seasons, the club belongs in League 2 or above - therefore in my opinion we need to be thinking ahead at that level and not looking below us at the minor leagues.

The managerial decision should be made on the future potential of the club and not the present conditions, based on the assumption that Torquay WILL be back in League 2 by next season.

As much as I really like Nicho, I don't think that he set the expectation that winning is the only acceptable standard - I saw too many justifications and pats on the back for hard work.

Unfortunately, hard work without results counts for nothing.

The club have to start thinking like a winning team with a mentality that the club belongs in League 2 or above, and by doing so set this as the standard in our recruitment both on and off the field, even in the face of tight budgets.
Fair post, you make some valid points
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Killock has been manager at Poole for 718 games and has a win percentage of 65%. Pretty impressive. My only concern with some of the lower league managers like Collier and Killock, and I suppose the likes of Martyn Rogers etc, is that it is all very well be a big fish in a tiny pond but would they have the scope and range of contacts to make a success of being in a National League?

Think back to John Hore going from Bideford to Plymouth Argyle. He may have got Plymouth to the semi-finals of the cup but essentially he was out of his depth. Dave Smith came in to replace him and transformed the club.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Killick has also achieved what he's achieved at Poole with a shedload of money being thrown into the hat.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

So who sits next to Herrera at Guiseley. ? I'll have a fiver on Gowling.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

hector wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 18:44 with some of the lower league managers like Collier and Killock, and I suppose the likes of Martyn Rogers etc, is that it is all very well be a big fish in a tiny pond but would they have the scope and range of contacts to make a success of being in a National League?
I agree, contacts is a key element in football management, so unless you are absolutely certain a lower division manager has the coaching prowess to bring about rapid tactical changes which players can adapt too (quickly) there is a huge risk attached. That said if I was left with only the option of looking at lower leagues for a replacement then my choice would be Gavin Rose of Dulwich Hamlet FC having taken charge of over 350 games in the last seven season and taken them from the Ryman League (South) to the Isthmian League Premier Division after reaching the divisional play-off final in each of the previous two seasons; reached two League Cup finals, made it to the Premier Division play-offs last season and during the last three campaigns he has won a total of eight Manager of the Month prizes and has won the Manager of the Year award.

The above tells you he has a bit of pedigree but equally important his attacking formation with three at the back is a joy to behold and the opposition just cannot cope. Yes, he does have some great players, many ex-Premier league academy starlets which he has acquired through his contacts - yep, there's that word again - contacts - something Kev was meant to have had when appointed, but never really came to fruition.

Anyways, don't beat me up about my choice, its just an opinion.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The quality of the new manager and any subsequent future player, will depend on how much is left in the budget after they have fleeced the supporters and then lined their pockets.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I should have added that my choice of non-league manager Gavin Rose -Dulwich Hamlets FC was also based on his player budget being significantly smaller than many rival teams in the Isthmian League Premier and indeed the Ryman League (South) league below. So the Torquay budget will look like a Premier league budget to what he has been working too. As for budget, GI (who I still don't trust) will have the business acumen to invest accordingly for financial return on investment. Kev's exit was not only about losing games it was about losing supporters and more importantly for GI - 'revenue'. GI will know they are either in it for the long haul or an early (profitable) exit, but the latter will need to show success on the field of play.

For reference Dulwich play Billericay (club with money) next, with a 3-3-4 formation and have seven strikers in the match day squad. Dulwich Hamlet netted 142 goals in the 2016-2017 season across the Premier Division, FA Cup, Alan Turvey Trophy, FA Trophy, London Senior Cup and Premier Division Playoffs. The manager installs a fear no-one into the players. Goals win games -take a look at the vid. Promise that is the end of the Dulwich topic, before it gets annoying.(if not already) ^.^ ...
Last edited by MellowYellow on 18 Aug 2017, 20:34, edited 5 times in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 18:55 Killick has also achieved what he's achieved at Poole with a shedload of money being thrown into the hat.
Ah ...... those are the bits of the equation we don't know about. He sure wouldn't have a shedload of money down here !! Anyway, where's Merse? This is the time when he could be giving us a few interesting insights but he seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. No - I'm not over-concerned ......... ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

tomogull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 20:16 Ah ...... those are the bits of the equation we don't know about. He sure wouldn't have a shedload of money down here !! Anyway, where's Merse? This is the time when he could be giving us a few interesting insights but he seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. No - I'm not over-concerned ......... ;-)
I believe Merse is on holiday.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I can't believe any manager currently in a job is going to be next. Surely it will be somebody out of work or coaching somewhere.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

There always seems to be a lot of applicants when the manager's job is advertised. Yes, a lot of them will be from the lower leagues or jokers, but there has to be somebody amongst the dross who wants to kickstart their management career. Having seen Nicho interviews I think as intelligent as he came across he was over pragmatic. Would like to see a manager who understands player's abilities and can get the best out of them throughout the season, despite any issues with attitude.