Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

View1 wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 18:09 I'm not going to name names but I have been in direct contact with someone directly associated today to voice my frustration and try and find out what's going.

If what I was told is correct then the outcome could still be positive (even though it's taken too long). If what I told was correct then we are close to employing a head coach with experience as a head coach/manager in this league and above and someone who looks to play good football.

This person has also never been associated to the club. Reading between the lines they may not be in place by Tuesdays game but should be before the end of the week at the latest. They will also have a decent budget to work with.

I'm not saying that what I have been told isn't complete crap but it was from a direct source and the conversation was positive enough for me to go believe what was being said, I hope my gut to believe this is correct.
Interesting insight. I don't think there is anything you have said which perhaps the club cannot be saying publically to the fans if true. There is a spiralling bad feeling towards the decision makers and without doubt this process has taken far too long (especially considering our position and form). So far it has been 25 days since we had a manager, which is 5 games, and 13 points dropped and we are now 8 points from safety. That is simply inexcusable in my eyes.

Anyway - at least your post provides a glimmer of hope!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

There's a lot of anger and frustration about (understandable) part of me wonders whether there is a case here, of people letting their emotions get in the way of intellect.

I said right from the start, and I'll say it again, just wait, don't jump off the deep until we know, once the appointment is made, then we'll know if it's been shameful, disastrous, poorly handled situation on the part of the football club, I'm sure once the appointment is made, the circumstances behind it will soon become apparent.

If's true and the club are going after a manager that's contracted to another club, then there will be legalities, sensitivities, potentially protected negotiations; regards compensation, and a time line of when the manager will leave his role with one club and take up his position with another, these things can, and do take time at any level.

If's that not the case, and the club are just waiting to get Robbie his chance, or another former ex-player turns up, then, yes, we'll all have the right to jump off the deep end, after all Harrop did say the type of manager he was looking for, and if he doesn't deliver that, well then, hmmmm.

I've kept my powder dry on this subject, it's about the long term, if Harrop delivers the right manager, who in turn gets results, then those who didn't keep their powder dry are going to have eat more humble pie than Harrop ever could :)

I've found this process as frustrating as everyone else, and at times wondered where this is all leading, also, thrust me, if he doesn't deliver, then I'll be joining the rest of you.
Formerly known as forevertufc
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Excellent post - agree with every word!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Supporters are frustrated...i am....those posts were to strong but people are getting frustrated.

Hate to say it but no wins in next 2 it's only going to get worse and worse ....
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Plain fact is we just don't know whats happening though.

Harrop has said that our prospective manager is still working at another club. For all I know he may have a notice period to work out and his current club are being bloody minded.

Like everybody else I just don't know. He has got a fair amount of stick on here - from me included but that message oversteps the mark. It just doesn't help anyone.

Personally I didn't expect the new manager to be announced between the Saturday and Tuesday games however you would expect that we should hear something before the Barrow game.

I'm not sure what chanting at Harrop during a game will achieve? - its counter productive surely.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Its an interested post from Veiw. It mentions a Head Coach and not a Manager. That seems to me to fit within a jigsaw about fitting in 'a new culture' at the club. We already have Managers galore ?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Excellent post by Forever who sums it up perfectly.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Burnhamgull wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 19:29 Personally I can understand the frustrations surrounding Harrop and his recruitment process. However, as soon as anybody gets too angry, everyone starts to show disapproval for naughty words and aggressive attitudes.

The Torquay United fanbase is nice.

Sadly, that is why this club will eventually die. No bollocks to get nasty.

Harrop was sat in the box on Saturday and not one chant in his direction. Nothing.
Spot on. Not saying that it's big, clever or even intelligent to be 'nasty' when it comes to trying to be heard and listened to but there comes a time when everything else has been tried and has failed and something else must be considered.

Other clubs fans seemingly instinctively feel the need to show their displeasure. They co ordinate public displays of protestation, they make the environment difficult for the perceived protagonists and they mobilise fans groups.

Torquay just sign a petition.

That said however, being 'nasty' doesn't necessarily have any greater effect than simply signing a petition.

Coventry City for example have had half of their fans kicking off for years yet they are still in the same boat. The Oystons still own Blackpool despite some serious and brutal opposition.

If there is nothing you can do about a situation then there is nothing you can do no matter how much kicking and screaming is done.

Torquay United unfortunately is the same. GI own it and run it and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about that.

That's why I thought a phoenix club was the way to go now as its all in our hands but quite clearly there isn't really anyone amongst the fanbase barring a few of us who think it would solve the problems long term.

Personally I get angry because I dislike being taken for an idiot. God knows it happens too often lol. GI are taking the fanbase for idiots but it takes different people longer to realise and come to terms with this than others as they are too trusting.

I don't trust my own doctor, the police, my kids teacher so naturally I'm not going to trust some businessman with a clear and obvious history of trying to destroy sports clubs.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

We have been given the "green light" to move forward with our plans. Read into that what you want.

My thought is an agreement has been reached with the other club and we are talking terms with the head coach.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Someone about 50 pages ago suggested there should be blue smoke over Plainmoor when an appointment is made, as at the Vatican when a new Pope is announced. Actually, appointing a new Pope is a quicker process than Torquay United appointing a new manager.

But seriouosly - agree with Brucie about Forever's post.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

View1 wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 19:52 We have been given the "green light" to move forward with our plans. Read into that what you want.

My thought is an agreement has been reached with the other club and we are talking terms with the head coach.
Could be that Osborne has agreed to the proposal Harrop has put in front of him.....
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 19:51 That's why I thought a phoenix club was the way to go now as its all in our hands but quite clearly there isn't really anyone amongst the fanbase barring a few of us who think it would solve the problems long term.
Really! You're not a Torquay fan, you've proved that beyond doubt by sodding off elsewhere in the past because you had 'issues' with our club. Others may have taken you back into the fold, but you (IMHO) irritate the hell out of me with your thoughts about our club.

:red:
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

totally agree,criticism is acceptable,abuse is unacceptable.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

So we would have General Manager, a Head of a Recruitment and Head Coach. Sort of fits somehow.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Some day soon the penny will drop. We've always been looking for a head coach because someone wants to play DoF and any decent manager knows what that means.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com