Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
davecaldwell
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by davecaldwell »

Yes, remember you well my friend, she's 12 now, but does not get he mullet lol

On Robbie, he's a really nice guy, he probably just needs some help, agree with forevertufc Robbie does not deserve the stick.

What the club needs is their own philosophy, strategy, then either find a manager with the correct skill sets to execute the strategy, or get Robbie to buy into it. I have been director of football at Albion Rovers, take a look at where we were last season and the results this season based on a methodology that works, the manager is Brian Kerr, we have sports science, injury prevention and management and analytics.

Brian Kerr will be a top level manager some day.

See below January last year on thinking big!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foot ... ig-9655796
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Looking good Dave ....i mean looking good at albion rovers, been following them bit since you been DOF. What we could do with a dobson/Caldwell partnership now Dave. How was that partnership Dave? Id love to know more Dave from your time at tufc in 1987 ...by far by favourite era !!!!!

Club simply needs a focus on the pitch with a modern thinking manager. Been handing the job to anyone that's played for us and that's doesn't work.
Off field worries don't help

It's not a great time at moment all round
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 18:33 Looking good Dave ....i mean looking good at albion rovers, been following them bit since you been DOF. What we could do with a dobson/Caldwell partnership now Dave. How was that partnership Dave? Id love to know more Dave from your time at tufc in 1987 ...by far by favourite era !!!!!

Club simply needs a focus on the pitch with a modern thinking manager. Been handing the job to anyone that's played for us and that's doesn't work.
Off field worries don't help

It's not a great time at moment all round
Slight overkill on 'Dave's'....😉
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

forevertufc wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 17:44 Apologies, I accept the use of the word 'hate' was incorrect. However there's a world of difference between honest, constructive criticism and over the top, unjustified criticism delivered off the back of frustration, anger, or ignorance. And I have heard and seen written criticism that's falls into both the later, the bloke doesn't deserve that.
A justified belief is one that we are "within our rights" in holding. Therefore, justification focuses on beliefs. So in essence if someone's beliefs are opposite to yours, I am not sure you can lay claim that it is unjustified. Your explanation whilst honourable is not in itself a justification of disagreeing with another persons beliefs, just as a barrister's explanations for why their client robbed a bank is not justification for a pardon. When it comes to football, especially football management, coping with criticism is part of the territory. Mainly because everyone out there think they can do the job better! Pre-criticism has to be Advice namely: if you can’t handle the criticism as a player, definitely don’t get into management. There’s no where to hide.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 09 Sep 2017, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

davecaldwell wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 18:20 What the club needs is their own philosophy, strategy, then either find a manager with the correct skill sets to execute the strategy
As you say Dave; “What a director of football does is provide a bit of consistency and more of a strategy over the long term for the club and just plug managers into it. So instead of managers coming in with a set of strategies and plans with a set of players that they inherit you have a bit more consistency."

I agree; and at Plainmoor all you've had is disjointed thinking; a total lack of philosophy and chancers appointed as managers in Hargreaves and Nicholson working without any professional infrastructure of any kind that connects with the modern football world in any shape or form...if Nicholson thought allowing images of his players shoving tractor tyres around was the way to present a picture of the club then that said it all about him; and as for the buffoon who had them doing that; I'll leave you to judge!

Hopefully this current period in time will see the sea-change that is needed to give the club hope. Geoff Harrop has said the right things as regards a establishing a Torquay United DNA; what he has to do now is carry out the right strategies......the next 48 hours will tell us a lot!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Indeed merse...not much else anyone can say now ... need to wait and see what happens. Surely just surely Monday 5pm latest we have concrete news.

Then the discussions will start again
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

They are looking for a house for the new manager as he lives up north I would have thought getting involved should come first but he must be thinking of staying. We might have won today with a bit more motivation.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 18:39
A justified belief is one that we are "within our rights" in holding. Therefore, justification focuses on beliefs. So in essence if someone's beliefs are opposite to yours, I am not sure you can lay claim that it is unjustified. Your explanation whilst honourable is not in itself a justification of disagreeing with another persons beliefs, just as a barrister's explanations for why their client robbed a bank is not justification for a pardon. When it comes to football, especially football management, coping with criticism is part of the territory. Mainly because everyone out there think they can do the job better! Pre-criticism has to be Advice namely: if you can’t handle the criticism as a player, definitely don’t get into management. There’s no where to hide.
I tried so hard to avoid, either referring to comments I'd heard, or posts I've seen written around the net, as I didn't want o make this personal, so I'll stick to just one.

Anyone thinking referring to Robbie Herrera as nothing more than a cone boy, regardless of whether it's meant as a joke or not, is some how justifiable criticism, then fair enough people are indeed entitled to their opinion.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I felt sorry for Herrera in that home box on his own. Hung out there for Merse and his mates to continue to slaughter. Can we now shut the hell up about Nicholson and his tyres and how quiet Herrera is and all the needless vitriol that runs with it and around it. A lot of people know a lot more about football than I do for sure but a life lesson I do know is that there is absolutely nothing to be learnt from exaggerated obsession with what is past. People do their best as they see it's really just as simple as that.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Dazza wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 20:06 I felt sorry for Herrera in that home box on his own. Hung out there for Merse and his mates to continue to slaughter. Can we now shut the hell up about Nicholson and his tyres and how quiet Herrera is and all the needless vitriol that runs with it and around it. A lot of people know a lot more about football than I do for sure but a life lesson I do know is that there is absolutely nothing to be learnt from exaggerated obsession with what is past. People do their best as they see it's really just as simple as that.

:goodpost:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Dazza wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 20:06 I felt sorry for Herrera in that home box on his own.
Now who's that; quite clearly not on his own?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

A poster on BTPIR says that Harrop told him today that Westley isn't the new manager. Apparently it's someone under contract with another club.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

I told you Wenger was on his way 😂
Tust member 191
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

We seem to have had a trawlerful of red herrings on this thread for weeks now.......
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Dazza wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 20:06 I felt sorry for Herrera in that home box on his own...there is absolutely nothing to be learnt from exaggerated obsession with what is past. People do their best as they see it's really just as simple as that.
"exaggerated obsession with what is past" ? So what is your adage, 'forget the past, live in the present'. By which I assume you mean :

Bottom of the league - 3 points out of 27 - with an abysmal goal difference.

I'm sorry but this present 'managerless' fiasco was created by the past and it would be foolish to forget it completely when there are valuable lessons to be learned from it. You would have thought we would have learnt our lessons from the last two seasons but as some philosopher (cant remember who) , rightly said “Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it".