Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

All this talk about Westley...read merse post but still am unsure ....is it a contact that is confirming it

Where has this come from....

Would he drop to our level anyhow and would it be as manager or maybe a bit more.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

If it is Westley, although he has had some moderate success at Stevenage and Peterborough, I would suggest that he will quickly fall out with GI because he's no shrinking violet and chances are he'll be gone by next season so we'd be back at square one.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Burnhamgull wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 15:22 If it is Westley, although he has had some moderate success at Stevenage and Peterborough, I would suggest that he will quickly fall out with GI because he's no shrinking violet and chances are he'll be gone by next season so we'd be back at square one.
The crucial relationship will be with Harrop and I'm sure he wouldn't recommend appointing someone he didn't feel he could work with.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

From OS:

The search for a new manager at Torquay United has now reached the final stages of what has been a rigorous process.

We have been extremely heartened and enthused by both the quality and quantity of applications received, which has ensured a thorough selection process has been undertaken here at Plainmoor.

We are now at an advanced stage of negotiations and, while an announcement will not be made before tomorrow’s big game at home to Wrexham, we would like to reassure the Yellow Army that a final decision is very close.

It has been a complicated process and we do understand the frustration of supporters that stems from uncertainty, but please rest assured this is a decision the club is taking very seriously.

In the meantime, please get behind Robbie Herrera and the lads for tomorrow’s game, and help us bring home the first three points of the campaign.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I would say if it is Graham Westley it would be what most of us were looking for lets hope it is him.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

arcadia wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 15:47 I would say if it is Graham Westley it would be what most of us were looking for lets hope it is him.
And definitely not what we were expecting...cheap, local, inexperienced...
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

about time we had someone who can stop pussy footing around and give the players a kick up the ass, what do you think brian clough would have done!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Wow 2 updates in a week.

Monday it is then?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm not so sure Westley would fit in with the Fatman's desires to be DoF and control all transfers but he is the kind of manager that gets the best out of players, that's for sure.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Villagull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Villagull »

Unsure why so many feel a man who was sacked with Newport 11 points adrift at the bottom of league 2 recently is a good fit, and just what Tufc need. Sure all managers get the sack, but compared to Ronny Moore I know who i would say is a safer bet. Hoping this is nothing to do with Westley becoming involved/investing in the club's finances.
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by slay1373 »

Villagull wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 16:29 Unsure why so many feel a man who was sacked with Newport 11 points adrift at the bottom of league 2 recently is a good fit, and just what Tufc need. Sure all managers get the sack, but compared to Ronny Moore I know who i would say is a safer bet. Hoping this is nothing to do with Westley becoming involved/investing in the club's finances.

Interesting point, and although an exile now, I think it is worth reading this article by Graham Westley I found - http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/ ... m-westley/. There is a lot in his article that echoes with TUFC's current situation.

You say he was adrift, correct, but had only been appointed 5 months prior and due to off-field issues offered his resignation a month after his appointment. Like many managers in our history he was playing and managing a team that he didn't build and as he says, that there were too many players in the squad causing a natural malaise that needed constant management. A position we all know too well.

We have cried for experience and not a local untried manager or ex player. He may not suit everyone's idea of a TUFC manager, but think we need to create a team with some guile that is so obviously missing.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Westley is an interesting character, eccentric even and has a history of business dealings and trying to find another angle to a football club other than solely the playing side.

It is this other 'interest' he has lurking in the background that makes me feel something doesn't quite add up here.

Yes, out of work manager gets vacant managers job. Shock horror. We'll see but its pretty crazy how Torquay fans just simply trust and accept after all that's gone on.

If Westley gets the job. Don't accept him and don't trust him until he has proved over time he is there for football reasons only.

That's all I'm saying.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Everyone has history , I can't see too much problem myself.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 12:13 I think you will be but you have to remember that at Farnborough he was the owner/manager; it was entirely his perogative to do that with a club he had described as having the team but not the ambition ethic and at one stage he proposed swallowing up financially stricken Kingstonian ~ a club he viewed as having the ground but nothing else.

He looks at it with a businessman's acumen; just as Clarke Osborne does Torquay United; and will continue to do so whilst he owns Torquay United.

After the previous disasters with directly opposite views on how to run a professional football club; I'm surprised at your concern.
Indeed - if he is coming in potentially at board level too (again, just speculation I know), I imagine he'll have some sort of say of how to do things. It's the way he left Farnborough in the lurch that really stinks - switches an FA Cup game to get more money and then runs off 3 days later (allegedly with the money too..).

If it's Westley, we'll have a chairman who is plenty experienced in aiding the destruction/closure of sporting clubs; and a manager who has personal experience of it too. To me, that's a worrying mix.

Of course, people will point to every other club he's been at - fair enough, but personally I don't think any of them have been in as precarious a situation as we currently are!

Still, we'll wait and see what unfolds in the next few days.