Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

merse btpir wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:28 Absolutely with you on all of that ~ and no; a Westley team wouldn't quit on their stools at half-time!

There is a possibility too that considering his business interests he might be bringing share ownership to the table too.
Maybe that would explain the protracted appointment Merse.....
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:28 Absolutely with you on all of that ~ and no; a Westley team wouldn't quit on their stools at half-time!

There is a possibility too that considering his business interests he might be bringing share ownership to the table too.
This is setting off a few alarm bells for me.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:35 This is setting off a few alarm bells for me.
What choice do we have? What's the alternative?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Westley the manager in the dugout I would welcome, just what we need. It's all the crap in his past that worries me, the dodgy off field stuff, the business with Farnborough.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

merse btpir wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:31 If it is Graham Westley and he has legal obligation or contractual issues regarding Newport County to adhere to; then tomorrow (September 9th) represents six months to the day he was dismissed as their manager.

That's not dilly-dallying; it's acting with due regard for legalities. Westley might well have signed a disclaimer that he would not work in the game again for a specific period of time in exchange for a severance agreement. That might well be up tomorrow or it might well have been for longer and negotiation has had to be undertaken with his previous employers......we can neither know nor demand to know anything regarding personal matters and matters of employment contract.
Interesting merse. If it were him though couldn't they announce his appointment say yesterday but start say next Monday.. ..
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

It does not sit comfortably with me that we will be appointing a man who has played a big part in the death of a club in the past - let alone if he's bringing some shared ownership to the place too. All of this is rumours at the moment, of course, but the last club he was owner of was liquidated not long after he went.

I urge you all to read about Westley's past - his spell at Farnborough - and what happened afterwards. I've put a link on the previous page. To me, I just get a very negative feel of vultures circling, looking for their part of the kill.

Judging by this thread so far I'm in the minority, though.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:48 I urge you all to read about Westley's past - his spell at Farnborough - and what happened afterwards. I've put a link on the previous page. To me, I just get a very negative feel of vultures circling, looking for their part of the kill. Judging by this thread so far I'm in the minority, though.
I think you will be but you have to remember that at Farnborough he was the owner/manager; it was entirely his perogative to do that with a club he had described as having the team but not the ambition ethic and at one stage he proposed swallowing up financially stricken Kingstonian ~ a club he viewed as having the ground but nothing else.

He looks at it with a businessman's acumen; just as Clarke Osborne does Torquay United; and will continue to do so whilst he owns Torquay United.

After the previous disasters with directly opposite views on how to run a professional football club; I'm surprised at your concern.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Regardless of his past history, you will all have just spent nearly 4 weeks in the dark fretting about the lack of a new manager and now it might be Graham Westley! :rofl:

Is this man the marquee managerial appointment that makes the last 4 weeks worth it?

Best of British with that one. ;-)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:46 Interesting merse. If it were him though couldn't they announce his appointment say yesterday but start say next Monday.. ..
Because that might trigger a chain of events that could cost Westley money and allow Newport to avoid a financial commitment.....and what's in it for Torquay United to announce him as their next manager before they can appoint him?

Only to satisfy the curiosity and perceived 'right to know' of people who have no such right but only the self righteous belief that they do.

As the 'Admin' of BTPIR I have been given information as to the source of the story that it is Graham Westley; it has not come from either 'the club' nor anyone charged with making the appointment; it has not come from Steve Tully either for that matter ~ nor Graham Westley or anyone on his behalf; but I have no reason to believe that it is not fact.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

You always knew a Wesley team would be a hard team to beat and one which was fit, strong and played with a will to win. Not always attractive but - hey - what's attractive about playing well and losing all the time, especially in the dying moments of games like we seem so adept at doing?

This would be a good appointment if it turns out to be true.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

I don’t really care how we play – mainly because geography means I can only get to 4 or 5 games a season. I only care about getting wins - and it makes no difference to me who is in the dugout provided they are getting said wins.

From all accounts, Graham Westley is a largely unlikeable character of the Steve Evans mould. And I think that is exactly what we need.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

apgull wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 14:03 From all accounts, Graham Westley is a largely unlikeable character of the Steve Evans mould. And I think that is exactly what we need.
I'm a largely unlikeable character; but I run a good website that is different from the norm and stands out from the crowd. I managed to assist nine young footballers onto (or in some cases back onto) the professional football ladder last season and whilst doing so, upset so many people my tenure wasn't really tenable any longer.

If that's what Graham Westley can do for Torquay United then I suggest everybody gets behind him!
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by apgull »

Pretty sure that's what I said, Merse ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

merse btpir wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 14:10 I'm a largely unlikeable character; but I run a good website that is different from the norm and stands out from the crowd. I managed to assist nine young footballers onto (or in some cases back onto) the professional football ladder last season and whilst doing so, upset so many people my tenure wasn't really tenable any longer.

If that's what Graham Westley can do for Torquay United then I suggest everybody gets behind him!
agree with you both.
lets face it, both fatty evans and westley have been more successful where they have managed than any manager at TUFC has since Buckle.
if hes a nasty b*stard with the players but gets them playing better and winning games, who cares?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by apgull »

What's Bucks up to these days? Still in the US?