Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Just for Andy's benefit, the other two sites are reporting that the new manager is Graham Westley (according to Steve Tully)
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

They have proved to me what I thought they were which i hoped they weren't but i now know they are.

Even if things improve these 3 + weeks from a supporter point of view have been the worse.

I didn trust them in first place but now its breech of service. I understand why people will go support but I won't be while GI is concerned apart from away matches.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Jerry wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 07:03 Just for Andy's benefit, the other two sites are reporting that the new manager is Graham Westley (according to Steve Tully)
Interesting! Decent track record and having published the win rate of the other managers who had supposedly thrown their 'hat' in the right, Graham tops the list at 46%
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yorkieandy wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 00:15 the TFF site sends me into a coma. No joy amongst the gloom and seriousness on that site whatsoever.
Really? You've obviously missed the comedy stylings of Alpine Joe. His parody of a GI supporter is hilarious 😂
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 07:08 Interesting! Decent track record and having published the win rate of the other managers who had supposedly thrown their 'hat' in the right, Graham tops the list at 46%
Although having delved a little deeper I can see that there was a thread on hear dedicated entirely to Graham Westley saying 'I hope we never have this clown as manager' - from what I can gather he can be difficult to work work with and very defensive...doesn't sound like the YES man GI are after?!

Plus it's his Stevenage team that beat us in the playoff final some years ago 😭
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Jesus there is a load of hysterical crap on this thread. Do you lot get angry like this every time something doesn't go exactly the way you thought? I pity your partners.

For what it's worth I think 3 weeks is TOO long to appoint a manager, however without the FACTS of what had happened during those three weeks I am unable to judge as to whether it is acceptable or not.

Harrop could have appointed a manager in three days, 7 days, 2 weeks if he had wanted. If time was the most important factor (looking at the shrieking outrage on here it apparently is) then after 14 days he could have said "this is taking too long... sorry Chris Todd/Steve fully, I know we told you to bugger off but now 2 weeks have gone by you're all that's left." And who would have been happy with that outcome?

Perhaps, and this is by no means a guaranteed fact but has much chance of being true as any of the other bollocks on this thread, Harrop has refused to take a shite manager and would rather wait and keep looking as people dropped out the race (like Ronnie, Garry hill, who both visited the training ground etc.) than make a panic appointment. Maybe some stipulations the club have to protect the club, like moving to the area, have meant negotiations have stalled with some people who looked like they were set to join. Again, who knows, but there's as much evidence for that as for some malevolent wish for Harrop to leave us without management for 3 weeks.

Boycotts? When none of you know the facts or the result? As always the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If when the manager is announced, and its Robbie Herrera, well then by all means boycott. Unless an appointment like that comes with a detailed explanation as to why it would be completely unacceptable. But if the appointment is an experienced, respected coach then maybe it was worth the wait.

Seriously, get a grip and keep your powder dry for when it REALLY matters.
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

I find it sad that people like Brucie and Merse cannot accept some humour at grim times like this, it must be very dull in their households.
Trying to lighten the mood at this time is surely a good thing - the world has far more serious concerns than the managerless/toothless TUFC .. and if a few hats offend certain posters then that is a shame.
Regardless of how big or grand you may like to think you are and how much in the know you may be - nothing, but nothing is going to make any difference to Osborne, Harrop or GI as a whole, so why not just accept that fact and keep the feelings light and airy with our new projected HAT manager!
As for being childish - what's wrong with that? If people over 50 having a laugh is deemed childish ... bring it on!
Has Gilbert thrown his hat in yet??

Humour never killed anyone - unless they died laughing!

DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Hope it's not Westley. Only heard bad things about him
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Same here....

Unless he buying the bleeding club
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Can't see what any problem with Westley at all. Experienced manager, lots of management experience in the National League. Plenty of success, acknowledging some failure. Overall win %age of 46% in 889 games as a manager, what on earth is wrong with that? I'd welcome his appointment.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Think Westley represents a bit of a mixed bag if it is him. He either tends to have successful reins, or disasters.

He did bloody well with Stevenage, and I think his time with Peterborough can be considered a success. Spells with PNE and especially his more recent spell with Newport less so.

From what I know of him, he's a man with a very clear idea of what he wants (which is a good thing) and doesn't suffer fools gladly. I remember his Stevenage side being incredibly physical and having a bit of a cynical edge to them - again, no bad thing as it's something that we found ourselves outdone by time and time again.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Up there with Fat man Evans for me, in terms of managers I never want near Torquay United. Sounds like he'd be a great fit for GI though.

http://twohundredpercent.net/100-owners ... ough-town/

Searle later commented that, “There was a reported £500,000 made out of the Arsenal game. As far as I’m aware, none of it came into the club.”

What a lovely character.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Westley lambasts Argyle journalist Errington:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38198336
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

So, just so I am clear people have been moaning like buggery because the club haven't appointed anyone, right? The rumours are that Westley has the job and surprise surprise, people are moaning like buggery!!!

He has a decent win percentage, he isn't popular - so f@!@king what!!! I have previously said that I would rather an unpopular successful manager than a nice one in the Conf South.....

I think given our league position and the toxic atmosphere at the club this isn't a bad appointment. So what if he **** some people off - we have had years of sub standard football caused by complacency and bullshit sound bytes with no consequences for, frankly woeful performances and, at times, attitude. Time to ruffle feathers and let the guy - if it is him - get on with his job. If players dont like it, tough. If they listen they might learn something as you dont manage 900 games by being a shit manager.I don't see clubs lining up to take them.

Do you think Westley would stand for players being beaten by half-time??? No.

Give him a chance.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Jeez, Westley and GI! What's the betting we're homeless with unpayable debts and heading to administration in a year or so?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084