Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Great player in his time - not sure he'd be the right man either at this stage. However one must keep an open mind. Things cannot possibly get any worse - or can they??!!
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

"As I read it, Geoff Harrop is making the decision and then presumably running off to Mr Osborne and saying "Hi Clarke - this is what Applicant A is demanding for his remuneration - can we afford it?". Clarke says "Hell, no". And so it goes on ...... until Chris Todd is appointed."

I can only hope that the interview process has been conducted in reverse to the accepted process above. I have been surprised with the apparent quality and experience of a couple of the applicants - have they not conducted their research on the lack of budget and the low amount they will be paid? That should be the first discussion area, so that those who dont want to go there can catch the train back home. Yes, that may piss off those experienced candidates, as well as us supporters, but there is no point in GI stringing them along only to say that TUFC cannot meet their demands.

I am also worried about the player budget being affected by the gradually increasing number of backroom staff. It would not surprise me if an experienced manager came in, PLUS a assistant/coach, PLUS Robbie retained for youth development. GI will then say that they have no money left for players wages!!! :-/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I thought this to be another one on the fantasy wish list - I mean SOL CAMPBELL ! An ex-player who has 'Contacts Contacts and Contacts'. Now I have sourced that he is [" prepared to go to a non-league club and just get a win bonus"
Read below ( Guardian article written July this year)

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 71656.html

I would be happy to give him the Job ( has an Uefa A coaching licence and worked as Arsenal youth coach and currently assistant coach for national team Trinidad and Tobago.

And how would a Sol Campbell-led side, here perform? “Very defensive but amazing on the counterattack,” he says. “Like Arsenal of old.” That will do me!

Would Harrop/GI consider him? I absolutely sure they would. Not for his football prowess - oh no - but because he wonts management so bad he says that "if I need to start in the gutter, I will start in the gutter and work my way up. Money isn’t an issue.”. Well Torquay are in the gutter and have no money - so it must be a "marriage made in heaven".
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think Cambell would be a big mistake. Judged on his views and experience in football.
Kevin Davis if he can play a few games I'd consider him. both not having experience is a slight gamble but with contacts in the game who knows.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

chestertorkyman wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 15:42 "As I read it, Geoff Harrop is making the decision and then presumably running off to Mr Osborne and saying "Hi Clarke - this is what Applicant A is demanding for his remuneration - can we afford it?". Clarke says "Hell, no". And so it goes on ...... until Chris Todd is appointed."

I can only hope that the interview process has been conducted in reverse to the accepted process above. I have been surprised with the apparent quality and experience of a couple of the applicants - have they not conducted their research on the lack of budget and the low amount they will be paid? That should be the first discussion area, so that those who dont want to go there can catch the train back home. Yes, that may piss off those experienced candidates, as well as us supporters, but there is no point in GI stringing them along only to say that TUFC cannot meet their demands.

I am also worried about the player budget being affected by the gradually increasing number of backroom staff. It would not surprise me if an experienced manager came in, PLUS a assistant/coach, PLUS Robbie retained for youth development. GI will then say that they have no money left for players wages!!! :-/
If money is an issue it won't be Todd it will be Harrop as manager. :'(
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Arcadia has just spelled out my worst fear, Harrop as manager. Nothing would surprise me though. I can imagine the scenario, "We couldn't persuade any of the shortlisted candidates to come, so I will fill the gap". Hopefully this is just my mind playing tricks & running away with itself, please....
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Well whoever it is will have to work miracles thanks to the points chucked away in the last 3 games whilst GI p*ss about.

Wrexham and Macc at home and Barrow, Dagenham and Bromley away. In all seriousness the club could be totally out of sight come the end of September.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Money ? money,money.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Dazza wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 21:19 Money ? money,money.
In all honesty if they get the right players we still need another two and get the basics right there is no reason why we can't improve but players are making the same mistakes and getting picked again making the same mistakes. I am afraid you've then got to ask if the coaches are watching the games. Reid has a lot of good things going for him but needs to improve on the ball (distribution)
An experienced manager could put this right along with better disiplin all round the side.

There are times in the game to keep the ball we don't seem to know this.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

arcadia wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 20:51 I think Cambell would be a big mistake. Judged on his views and experience in football.
Really! I respect your view but I am suprised. I would be happy with the like's of Ronnie Moore but things look ominous, with the delay, that preferred candidates have walked. I don't buy into nobody being lined up before Nicho was sacked - that does not make logical sense. So what are we left with ? and what are fans expectations? no doubt high which I fear will come tumbling down.

Since his footballing career ended, Campbell has largely spent the proceeding five years preparing for a life in management. A course with the Football Association earning Uefa pro licence, a job managing the Arsenal Youth set up and then assistant coach of Trinidad & Tobago in prep for the World Club Qualifiers. Using his contacts observes training sessions at Sampdoria and Milan and travelled to the United States to link up with his former Arsenal team-mate Patrick Vieira who manages New York City. We are not talking a two bit national league ex-player 'wannabe' manager, but a top international player with a string of contacts. All he wants is a break into football league management by whichever route possible and is willing to go non-league to do it.

With his background I have no doubt he would have the respect of the players to play to the standard he set's (defensive / fast counter attacks . )

[font=Arial Black]I placed the wrong link in my last post [/font] - The Observer - Sol Campbell: ‘I’m prepared to go to a non-league club and just get a win bonus’ below:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -interview
Last edited by MellowYellow on 04 Sep 2017, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

All this talk of Sol Campbell and Kevin Davis seems nonsensical.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 00:09 All this talk of Sol Campbell and Kevin Davis seems nonsensical.
Why?
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 00:14 Why?

Because, this is TUFC with Clarke Osbourne and Geoff Harrop in charge. We are in one of the worst locations in the country, bottom of the National League with a small budget. We are a poison chalice, why on earth would any "big name" want to come and manager Torquay United.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 00:28
Because, this is TUFC with Clarke Osbourne and Geoff Harrop in charge. We are in one of the worst locations in the country, bottom of the National League with a small budget. We are a poison chalice, why on earth would any "big name" want to come and manager Torquay United.
Because ego.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I agree with MellowYellow

Read the article, he is willing fore go any ego issues just to get a start in football. He has many friends who are now managers and I am sure they would want to give him a helping hand (loan player) if they were able. This is not as far fetched as it might seem you know.

If Sol has applied and Harrop is completing the process of due diligence as he states then Sol will tick many boxes for a club like ours. Sol will call in many favours from past and present, should he succeed, so will TUFC.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: