Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
KingsGull1983
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by KingsGull1983 »

[quote=Stevie_RitchTea post_id=210673 time=1503668875 user_id=23111]
I really don't get the whole "no connection with the club" thing that's being emphasised by a few members. I can see why they're saying it and their points are valid - but is it really that important?

I agree. It just needs to be the right man for the job. Despite previous connections with the club. It's invalid.
Haven't the most successful managers (I use the term success loosely) in the past 20 or so years had some kind of connection with the club??
i don't think we will have a long list of successful managers with no connections applying.
Is big Sam still unemployed??
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 14:53 I think most would agree that we don't require another ex-player.....
I completely agree - that's not what I was referring to in my post so I apologise if it came over that way.

It just seems silly to dismiss Paul Cox (who would be my choice), purely because he has worked here before. He has experience at this level, he has had SUCCESS at this level, and he's different to KN in that he's a tough bloke who will give the players the extra kick and the bit more bottle they need to finish off a game rather than flopping in the final third of the game as we have seen far too often in recent times.

An ex-player on the other hand will have had no experience, no success, and even if they are tough will have no credibility as a manager for the players to take him seriously.
TUST Member 405
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 15:02 I completely agree - that's not what I was referring to in my post so I apologise if it came over that way.

It just seems silly to dismiss Paul Cox (who would be my choice), purely because he has worked here before. He has experience at this level, he has had SUCCESS at this level, and he's different to KN in that he's a tough bloke who will give the players the extra kick and the bit more bottle they need to finish off a game rather than flopping in the final third of the game as we have seen far too often in recent times.

An ex-player on the other hand will have had no experience, no success, and even if they are tough will have no credibility as a manager for the players to take him seriously.
Can't argue with this.

The "no former connection to the club" shouldn't include Cox. What we don't need is someone appointed JUST BECAUSE of their previous connection (as per Hargreaves and Nicholson). If someone with a previous connection has the necessary experience and qualities then they should (and will be ) welcomed. I think Cox is the only person who would fall into this category though.
Barrow_fan_chris
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Fallon

Post by Barrow_fan_chris »

All gone a bit wrong with cox at barrow, seems he wanted more than his agreed budget.
Anderson and Haworth will probably be gone,he got rid of both who he rarely used from barrow, but rumours are he wanted gowling and klukowski at barrow in the summer.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Barrow_fan_chris wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 15:33 All gone a bit wrong with cox at barrow, seems he wanted more than his agreed budget.
Anderson and Haworth will probably be gone,he got rid of both who he rarely used from barrow, but rumours are he wanted gowling and klukowski at barrow in the summer.
Gowling I can understand but Klukowski... he is awful
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Barrow_fan_chris wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 15:33 All gone a bit wrong with Cox at barrow, seems he wanted more than his agreed budget.
If he comes here he'll be lucky to get his agreed budget!...... ;-)
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

All this talk of Cox though as if it's a done deal. It's just as speculative as saying Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink could be lined up.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Well he is unemployed as is big Sam!!!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 16:27 All this talk of Cox though as if it's a done deal. It's just as speculative as saying Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink could be lined up.
Not based on guesswork there is a obvious link though
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The radio Devon news has said Garry Hill has turned the managers
job down. I think its bad news and should have been confidential
and not broadcasted.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

arcadia wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 17:42 The radio Devon news has said Garry Hill has turned the managers
and not broadcasted.
Good! The town of Torquay is already built on seven Hills - so we don't need another one. Although we are short of a Cox at Torquay Rowing Club.
timmax
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by timmax »

Glad it's not Hill. Still I thought we would have had news by now seeing as though we have to big games coming up. God it's miserable being a Torquay fan.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

timmax wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 18:21 Glad it's not Hill. Still I thought we would have had news by now seeing as though we have to big games coming up. God it's miserable being a Torquay fan.
I second that...
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

cox or yates!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

arcadia wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 17:42 The radio Devon news has said Garry Hill has turned the managers
and not broadcasted.
Fantastic news. This is the guy who kicked off with our fans last season saying we where a shit club with no money, albeit he could be right what a tool saying it to fans.
Lucy