Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I was not to impressed last time around but to be fair the club was a shambles.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I'd be more than happy for Paul Cox to come back. He is a decent manager, who had an impossible job when he started at Torquay. He has done a decent job at Barrow and their fans seem genuinely upset that he has gone. He has been more than respectful of TUFC whenever he has played us since, even in the face of Nicholson slagging off what Cox did here, and just maybe he sees it that he has unfinished business.

I'm sort of hoping that it is him.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Wasn't he travelling down from Nottingham, or his family were located there?

Something along those lines which made me think the manager's position at TUFC is not ideal for him.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I'd be amazed if he returned. The club need somebody with ABSOLUTELY ZERO CONNECTION OR HISTORY WITH THE CLUB IN ANY CAPACITY AND SOMEONE WHO LIVES WITHIN A SENSIBLE COMMUTING DISTANCE OF THE GROUND.

Sorry for that but they'll do for starters. Why make it difficult for yourselves? Seems the club has learned nothing if Cox comes back.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

We only just survived his last departure! ( not that our Board played that particularly well ) . Let's see if he attends on Saturday. IF he does he's clearly a strong candidate but the family location question is a big one.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Parkys People wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 18:17 Wasn't he travelling down from Nottingham, or his family were located there?

Something along those lines which made me think the manager's position at TUFC is not ideal for him.
Don't forget he wasn't being paid...hardly going to uproot your family for voluntary work
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

yates would be a great choice, did someone say he has said he wont be applying for it ? cox would be good, think he was in a bad position before, very low budget and not being paid, would be a decent option I think. as for Tully or Todd A Definite NO.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 18:23 I'd be amazed if he returned. The club need somebody with ABSOLUTELY ZERO CONNECTION OR HISTORY WITH THE CLUB IN ANY CAPACITY AND SOMEONE WHO LIVES WITHIN A SENSIBLE COMMUTING DISTANCE OF THE GROUND.

Sorry for that but they'll do for starters. Why make it difficult for yourselves? Seems the club has learned nothing if Cox comes back.
Why such a big zero connection. I would say last time cox was wronged by people who had great intentions, cared for club , done more than I'd ever do but were knee deep in shit , the sails had holes in them the compass broke.
For me this is take 2 as I don't count last time as a proper attempt at the job in hand.
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

Always been fond of Cox as a manager and surprised he didn't get the Hartlepool job, he is a league manager in the making and I liked the way he managed from the touchlines, we need someone who manages and takes leadership and can get the best out of the players we have. Cox is the man for me, he needs backing and patience and out of anyone he's the one to get us back up the ladder.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Cox managed to get some OK results out of a dreadful squad. Yes it was his squad but he didn't have anything to work with. As someone else said, it took KN 17 games to win as many as Cox did in 10.

I disagree with Andy's view that we need someone completely divorced from the club. I think Cox IS divorced emotionally from the club - otherwise he wouldn't have walked last time. He took the sensible decision, and that's the sort of thing we need right now.

I still think it's very left-field, still not sure that it all adds up
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I can totally see the point made by Westyorkshiregull and Jeff about Cox being a professional and what went on last time at Torquay wasn't anything do do with him or anything he did wrong. I just think that because he has had a short stint as boss at Painmore then there will be a section of fans quick to jump on the 'didn't work last time - knew it wouldn't work this time' bandwagon if he were to get the job and not do so well in the beginning.

There has already been one poster commenting on his (the posters) perceived style of negative, defensive football seen under Cox during his time at the club and so i just think it's not a good idea to return despite him being an ideal experienced candidate.

First time around there was nothing Cox could do but second time around some will still see him as carrying baggage if you see what i mean.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 14:05 Paul Cox has resigned as manager of Barrow. What a bloody disgrace.

Ray
dry your eyes cock. :rofl:

nailed on to return here - even if he does live in Nottingham. :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:06 dry your eyes cock. :rofl:

nailed on to return here - even if he does live in Nottingham. :)
Nobody could blame Mr Cox if he has chosen to ditch tin-pot Barrow for the chance to manage a club with a decent ground and potential. Barrow struggle to muster 900 through the gate and bizarrely some of them are more interested in other non-league clubs....mind you, who could blame them? ;-)
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

What's with all these ghastly anti Barrow e-mails? Regardless, I am reliably informed that Paul Cox will be unveiled as new Torquay manager after Saturday's match. He will be bringing Matt Rhead in on loan with him from Lincoln City.

Ray
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Rumours in the Non-League Paper that he is bringing Ray with him too...