Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

tomogull wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 16:38 Er ..... do you mean the Board of Local People that (quote) 'would be in place before the start of the season'? But to be fair to Mr. Osborne - he didn't actually say which season. :whistle:
Yes - that be the one! Nice to have this and the promised fans forum mentioned on their arrival. Makes you really able to trust their word doesn't it!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Richinns wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 16:42 Yes - that be the one! Nice to have this and the promised fans forum mentioned on their arrival. Makes you really able to trust their word doesn't it!
What's the point of a fans forum? Before the last one in November everybody was huffing and puffing and threatening to blow Dave Philips house down. By the end of it he had everyone eating out of his hand whilst reassuring us that GI would not be getting the club.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 17:51 What's the point of a fans forum? Before the last one in November everybody was huffing and puffing and threatening to blow Dave Philips house down. By the end of it he had everyone eating out of his hand whilst reassuring us that GI would not be getting the club.
Very good point
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

Jeff wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 15:56 There is no transfer window in the NL as i understand it. Certainly not for loan players anyway. Plus I posted on the transfer rumours threat further up there is a quite astonishing amount of players who haven't got a club yet.

Whether we could convince them down here is a completely different kettle of fish
You understand correctly, unless the original poster is expecting us to sign football league players, 'unlikely me thinks'
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

rickl wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 13:44 Mark Yates looks to be the favourite http://www.devonlive.com/sport/football ... ger-368552
and you believe this because?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

arrywithanh wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 19:00 You understand correctly, unless the original poster is expecting us to sign football league players, 'unlikely me thinks'
Nothing stopping us signing EFL players if we wanted, the window only prevents them from bringing players in, movement in the other direction is not restricted.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I love the title of this article from the Football Conference website - we could certainly do with some of Jesus Christ's miracle-working abilities right now (Baby Jesus born in a manger...?). Yes it's a very poor joke but I could do with some light relief.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/gul ... iday-38876
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

If that is the case why didn't anyone on here say anything about that when Devon Live mooted the possibility that was the reason why they sacked Kevin after only 4 games. it should have been squashed straight away
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Glostergull wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 20:21If that is the case why didn't anyone on here say anything about that when Devon Live mooted the possibility that was the reason why they sacked Kevin after only 4 games. it should have been squashed straight away
I thought most intelligent people realised that Dave Thomas in particular and the HE sports Dept in general produce utter bollocks most of the time years ago. DT is simply too pig headed and stubborn to recognise any changes in the modern game and should have been shot years ago. Guy Henderson is your token village idiot and Richard Hughes has less life in him than my pet goldfish which is buried in a large matchbox in the garden downstairs!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

That maybe but no one on here shot him down. I have looked at the Non-league write up with Richard Money. I don't think he would come to United. he wants the board to back him if he needs money and I don't think the board is really interested. I remain to be proved wrong. but knowing GI like I do. I doubt that I am
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Friend of mine who works at the NLP just texted me to say Mikey Harris wants it.

Did a good job with Salisbury...
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well I am one of GI's biggest critics BUT I hope they don't employ someone who "Doesn't buy into their plans", that would be disastrous!

He has got to agree and accept and be confident that he can produce a winning team with the budget and players we have.

The manager wont decide if we move from Plainmoor, the council will do that.
TUST MEMBER
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

If that's right apgull it will be interesting. Harris certainly did a good job at Salisbury. Would still be a young manager but with experience both at a small and a big club.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

So Harrop say's “We have had an excellent response with applications ... spent the last few days sifting through the applications". By a 'few' I assume he means more than a couple, but for benefit of doubt I will just say three days. Now sifting through applications is not an onus task but I will be generous and say he looked at just 20 applications a day. So that is 60 applicants for the post, not bad for the 'end of the world' location that many say nobody wonts to come too.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Neal wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 21:45 Well I am one of GI's biggest critics BUT I hope they don't employ someone who "Doesn't buy into their plans", that would be disastrous!. He has got to agree and accept and be confident that he can produce a winning team with the budget and players we have. The manager wont decide if we move from Plainmoor, the council will do that.
I think 'the plans' Harrop refers to are football related, not ground related. Like building a footballing infrastructure for one because if they decide to go for Plan B if Plan A doesn't work they will need one to make the club a footballing proposition rather than the shell that they inherited and then they have a saleable asset.

There's a certain type of manager ~ Gary Johnson when with Yeovil for one ~ who willingly pressure their board to destroy the infrastructure in order to give them a bigger budget with which to manage the first team.

By the time Johnsn had got his way, the Glovers were left with just a first team and that was it. They came tumbling out of the Championship and almost straight through back into the National League. No reserves, no under 21s, no academy.

Harrop has first hand experience of trying to put all that back in place there and now has the same task here ~ or according to the 'Five Year Plan' he has anyway!.