Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 23:17 Risky in what way; surely not as risky as gifting the job to favoured old players with no managerial experience whatsoever.....

Wilkinson has managed three clubs ~ Henley, Milton United; and for the past seven years, Hungerford Town ~ coached in the Reading Academy and brought little Hungerford up three levels to the glass ceiling they currently exist under due to ground restrictions.

I would say that more than blows the CVs of the likes of Chris Hargreaves and Kevin Nicholson out of the water!
HAHAHAHAHA so so true
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Bobby Wilkinson is favourite for the job at Wealdstone.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Both teams sitting in relegation zone after 5 games with Wealdstone one place above Hungerford on goal difference. Both clubs at the glass ceiling for promotion to NL status due to ground restrictions.

Wilkinson may go there, if that's what he believes is 'ambition'.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

MellowYellow wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 12:58 Both teams sitting in relegation zone after 5 games with Wealdstone one place above Hungerford on goal difference. Both clubs at the glass ceiling for promotion to NL status due to ground restrictions.

Wilkinson may go there, if that's what he believes is 'ambition'.
Makes absolutely no sense to me, especially given he's on the record as wanting to manage at FL level. Torquay gives him that opportunity or is a great springboard to do it with another team. Wealdstone is a sideways move.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Wilkinson was in the Torquay area two days back - or so it would appear!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I saw him in Cobley's.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Nick Potkins wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 13:32 Wilkinson was in the Torquay area two days back - or so it would appear!
so was he or wasn't he?
although hes done well, its not an appointment that, at this time - fills me with confidence.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I heard on Sunday that there was a list and an ex-manager was on it but I don't believe it.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Nick Potkins wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 13:32 Wilkinson was in the Torquay area two days back - or so it would appear!
Though it didn't initially fill me with optimism, it actually does sound like quite a shrewd choice if true. How do you know he was in the Torquay area?
KingsGull1983
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by KingsGull1983 »

I can't see why people are linking so many names of so called experienced lower league managers.This is a sorry sign of how far we have fallen. They are going to be more expensive options and no guarantee they will be a success and will jump ship at the sniff of a bigger job.
Why not go for a local option with lower league experience, ex players shouldn't be ruled out just because the last couple have not worked out.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

KingsGull1983 wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 15:20 I can't see why people are linking so many names of so called experienced lower league managers.This is a sorry sign of how far we have fallen. They are going to be more expensive options and no guarantee they will be a success and will jump ship at the sniff of a bigger job.
Why not go for a local option with lower league experience, ex players shouldn't be ruled out just because the last couple have not worked out.
Perhaps you would like to list the ex-players with experience that you wish for? Tully is the only one I can think of, and although he does have some experience it was short lived and not sustained.

Unless you are talking about people like Joyce and Rodgers, in which case please tell me what sort of medication your on!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 15:04 I heard on Sunday that there was a list and an ex-manager was on it but I don't believe it.
There is mileage in that and this forum's resident troll might have a very nasty surprise before long! :rofl:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 15:28 There is mileage in that and this forum's resident troll might have a very nasty surprise before long! :rofl:
I notice you have posted about Paul Cox elsewhere, merse. Interesting.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

If you trace back through twitter accounts of family members of Hungerford Town board members, one asks how the trip to Torquay was and how did Bobby get on! It may be rubbish, but made me read it and take note.
KingsGull1983
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by KingsGull1983 »

Kit_robin wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 15:24 Perhaps you would like to list the ex-players with experience that you wish for? Tully is the only one I can think of, and although he does have some experience it was short lived and not sustained.

Unless you are talking about people like Joyce and Rodgers, in which case please tell me what sort of medication your on!

To be honest yes I would go for Tully, performed very well at Truro which was cut short. They haven't done nearly as well since he has left.