Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

MellowYellow wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 21:33 Good shout! Sounds more than a coincidence. Wilkinson's stated ""Win, Lose or Draw, I was resigning today...but I have been thinking that my time was up a couple of weeks ago|". So what has Wilkinson been thinking for the last couple of weeks - retirement ? or and offer from a Chairman of a much bigger club?

Hungerford's Chairman stated "It's a bit of a bombshell to be honest". I expect it was given the club under the management of Wilkinson have enjoyed a meteoric rise of three league promotions in eight seasons.

So the odds - well they must have shortened quite considerably. Is he good enough? well he has been previously been linked with the likes of Maidenhead United and Eastleigh. One could say he does have more managerial experience and success than Kev had when appointed and as a former Reading academy coach and also having an established Hungerford academy (of 50 students) it fits into Torquay's development remit.

I guess it's now down to watch this space.

Adage: Hungerford Town Academy has a Full-Time Elite Football & Education Programme for 16 - 19's and compete in 3 regional leagues; National League U19 Alliance, Tactic Premier League &Tactic Championship West as well as the FA Youth Cup
Wilkinson's assistant and the coach also resigned from Hungerford yesterday. Wilkinson has definitely got something lined up and is taking his team with him. Are there any other teams above Hungerford apart from us looking for new management?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 10:34 Wilkinson's assistant and the coach also resigned from Hungerford yesterday. Wilkinson has definitely got something lined up and is taking his team with him. Are there any other teams above Hungerford apart from us looking for new management?
no offence, but I hope so.
as ive said we need someone with NL experience.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 10:52 no offence, but I hope so.
I would tend to agree with this. It also needs to be recent experience. If we were being ultra-ambitious, we might try and do what Lincoln did and appoint someone like Luke Garrad from Boreham Wood, or if we what a safe steady pair of hands, Steve Burr has managed a lot of teams at this level, although his stock has dropped a little after disappointing at Chester, plus is more northern based.

Therefore, someone like Mark Yates is probably ideal because he has operated in this part of the world.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Many managers have been successful at one club and never been able to replicate it elsewhere. Maybe due to being in the right place at the right time, inheriting or stumbling across a good group of players, or just finding the perfect tactical formula for a specific team and situation.

I would like someone who has done it more than once, indicating that they know how to adapt to different players and situations and still produce the goods.

Gary Hill has won promotion with four different clubs, has recent National League experience and is southern based. He would be my favourite.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Jerry wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 11:20 Many managers have been successful at one club and never been able to replicate it elsewhere. Maybe due to being in the right place at the right time, inheriting or stumbling across a good group of players, or just finding the perfect tactical formula for a specific team and situation.

I would like someone who has done it more than once, indicating that they know how to adapt to different players and situations and still produce the goods.

Gary Hill has won promotion with four different clubs, has recent National League experience and is southern based. He would be my favourite.
I didn't know of Gary Hill before KN was sacked, but having read about him on here and done a little research, he does seem like a safe pair of hands. A little concerned that Woking seemed to go backwards under him after a few seasons in the NL, is this simply a small club finding their level? Does anyone have any idea of his play style etc?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

madgull wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 12:01 I didn't know of Gary Hill before KN was sacked, but having read about him on here and done a little research, he does seem like a safe pair of hands. A little concerned that Woking seemed to go backwards under him after a few seasons in the NL, is this simply a small club finding their level? Does anyone have any idea of his play style etc?
Read this:
'........there is a little bit more to Garry Hill than meets the eye.....

In the beginning he was a Sunday footballer and motor dealer with no professional playing experience and a 'hobby manager' rather like Sutton's Paul Doswell, underwritten to get the job.

Earlier in his managerial career, he managed Heybridge Swifts, St Albans City, Dagenham & Redbridge, Hornchurch, Weymouth and Rushden & Diamonds on the back of his brother Colin's financial underwriting and there has always been a stench of opportunism and development speculation about it. His brother's links to such people as Daragh MacAnthony (Peterborough) Tommy Agombar and George Rolls set the alarm bells ringing with Colin Hill himself implicated in the repossessions of properties he had mortgaged for people's pension funds and until Woking this stench never went away what with the demise of the Hornchurch and Rushden projects and the financial collapse at Weymouth.

Of coursed there is also the very juicy 'redevelopment' potential at Woking, so I would be careful what you wish for. His assistant Steve Thompson has always lived in Somerset and used to commute by train everyday to Woking'

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/pos ... z4qIO7bzHf
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

This thread has gone amazingly quiet. Sack after 4 games. Replace after... ? We now have a lot riding on GI whose record for swift action ( Thursday apart) has not been great to date. Begs whether ( despite some pointless celebration from some) . May beg the question whether we are closer to rock or hard place. My bet is somebody who has played only the one game for United will be given 10 games to tell us.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

I really like Gary Hackett the manager of Stourbridge. He's been there a long time, won promotions and had some fantastic cup runs.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Bit concerned with the lack of information so far on who is tipped for the job. Normally somebody on here would have the inside track on who the candidates are, but aside from Chris Todd I'm not aware that anyone has publically linked themselves or been linked in the press to the job
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

My money is on Bobby Wilkinson, ex Hungerford Town manager. He resigned over the weekend, as did Jamie Leacock and Mike Percival (his assistant and coach).

Already linked with Torquay United. All three would tick a number of boxes - Hard Hitting, Successful (at lower level), cheapish (I would guess) and shows GI maybe moving things in right direction with a full package (smoke and mirrors).

This is not to say it is my choice, but I can't see who else they have left for. Just the manager going I could understand, but all three having just sighed new contracts!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I watched Stourbridge play on Saturday, beating Whitby Town 1-3. They spent the entire second half (they were 1-2 up) with ten men behind the ball, having parked the bus and then anchored it. This was frustrating stuff, but not really exciting, adventurous or inventive. It did the trick but the football was boring beyond belief. is this what United want?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

wivelgull wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 19:26 I watched Stourbridge play on Saturday, beating Whitby Town 1-3. They spent the entire second half (they were 1-2 up) with ten men behind the ball, having parked the bus and then anchored it. This was frustrating stuff, but not really exciting, adventurous or inventive. It did the trick but the football was boring beyond belief. is this what United want?
What? Winning matches!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 10:52 no offence, but I hope so.
Agreed, ideal NL experience, BUT... the above could be worse... he has worked on a very tight budget, and achieved quite a bit.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Nick Potkins wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 19:24 My money is on Bobby Wilkinson, ex Hungerford Town manager. He resigned over the weekend, as did Jamie Leacock and Mike Percival (his assistant and coach).

Already linked with Torquay United. All three would tick a number of boxes - Hard Hitting, Successful (at lower level), cheapish (I would guess) and shows GI maybe moving things in right direction with a full package (smoke and mirrors).

This is not to say it is my choice, but I can't see who else they have left for. Just the manager going I could understand, but all three having just sighed new contracts!
could we be...
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

wivelgull wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 19:26 I watched Stourbridge play on Saturday, beating Whitby Town 1-3. They spent the entire second half (they were 1-2 up) with ten men behind the ball, having parked the bus and then anchored it. This was frustrating stuff, but not really exciting, adventurous or inventive. It did the trick but the football was boring beyond belief. is this what United want?
Yes this is what we want. Wins! Wins when your back is against the wall with 10 men as well.