Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Parkys People wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:41 He is trolling. IE making up then Dion Dublin nonsense.

Marcus Bignot, Gary Hill, Mark Yates, Martin Allen, Richard Money, Gary Brabin, Sol Campbell are some suggestions (no more than that) which I've seen, that are interesting shouts.
Please, please NOT Brabin or Mad Dog Martin Allen. And what managerial experience does Sol Campbell have at any level ?? The other four on that list are interesting names ......
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:47 Gary Hill, Kevin Hill. Rchard Hill, Fanny Hill - you can tell the forums gone mad lets just get someone in called Hill :O :O :O :O :O :O

People calling for the likes of Joyce are just plain mad. Bideford are a park side. Managing them for 100 years has no resemblance to managing us. We might be small fry but we are not quite plankton yet.
like the sound of Fanny Hill brucie :)

she was easy on eye on that tv show... =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

tomogull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 20:40 Our most successful manager ever - Frank O'Farrell - came to us from Weymouth Town who I believe were in the old Southern League at the time. Certainly Chippenham and Poole have been successful sides in recent seasons. Mark Yates would be a strong contender as Zippy has posted. But ..... the million dollar question. These guys will dig behind the scenes and they will find out pretty damn quick what a desperate state the club is in off the field. When Frank O'Farrell was appointed, our chairman was Tony Boyce and the club was being run as a good football club should be.
Although from another era this post has some merit in our search for a new manager in as much as O'Farrell was a prior to becoming Weymouth Manager and subsequently Torquay Manager was a top level pro with West Ham and Preston North End. Then our Chairman Tony Boyce had good business acumen and knew the benefits of hiring someone like O'Farrel. This was expressly made clear when Boyce said "A Torquay United manager needs to have three things going for him – contacts, contacts and more contacts." And so the signings began: West Ham Duo - Bond and Brown - Aston Villa Duo - Scott and Mitchenson, - Ron Barnes who was the understudy at Blackpool to the great Stanley Matthews - the list goes on and on - they all signed with none of the old nonsense of players don't want to come down here. They loved every moment of living in paradise having spent years playing in the dirty old towns, What's more they arrived and hit the ground running and the ever-growing attendances loved every moment of it - the atmosphere at Plainmoor was electric.

Now I am one of the biggest slaters of GI but I don't lose sight that they have good business acumen and I think we may be surprised in the quality of the next appointment. They above all will know they have to speculate to accumulate.
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Dave Bayliss and Darren Edmondson are currently out of management jobs.

Ray
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 00:47 Dave Bayliss and Darren Edmondson are currently out of management jobs.

Ray
oh great.

one fired for getting relegated and the other fired 3 months into management in the conference.

both fired for being sh1te.

can you suggest anybody apart from your local Cumbria connection?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Russ Wilcox ex Scunny and York boss would suit Torquay perfectly i reckon. Ok so he got sacked at York but he likes his teams to be solid and defensively minded. He would almost certainly stop the rot in the Gulls defence. He reminds me a bit of Ling in the fact that he can eye a player but tends to focus too much on a solid defence which makes games difficult and predictable to watch.

He also can spot rough diamonds better than he can sign experienced pro's IMO and will develop and chuck in youngsters. He sold a young York lad to Norwich for a tidy sum during his York tenure and with others soon identified they weren't up for it and moved them on. Tom Platt to Harrogate Town would be one such. Perfect for a club with zero cash to splash on players.

He is a Hemsworth lad (SuperNickyWroe will know where i'm on about - went on the roughest pub crawl around there about 20 years ago) but if the offer is right who knows if he would up sticks for a while and look to get Torquay out of the doldrums?

I think he's been out of work for a year or two now and could be tempted back into management. At Scunny he did amazing and only failed at York (as everyone does since so it's proved) so i think Wilcox wouldn't cost the earth and he's a straight john bull kind of bloke.
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Former Tranmere Rovers boss Gary Brabin is also currently out of work, Nicky. Other jobless managers with Conference experience include John Beck, Dino Maamria and Sammy McIlroy.

Ray
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:00 Never going to happen but someone like John still would be a dream...would it not ???
Me and Scarlet Johansson would be dream. That ain't happening either ^.^
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:47 Gary Hill, Kevin Hill. Rchard Hill, Fanny Hill - you can tell the forums gone mad lets just get someone in called Hill :O :O :O :O :O :O

People calling for the likes of Joyce are just plain mad. Bideford are a park side. Managing them for 100 years has no resemblance to managing us. We might be small fry but we are not quite plankton yet.
Jimmy???
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

What about Micky Adams? He's managed at the top flight but is currently available and helping out the under 18s at his local club Harborough Town
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

nickbrod wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 21:43 What? Richard Hill is in charge at Eastleigh. Don't you mean Garry Hill?
Yes
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

There are a stack of unattached experienced managers - a quick glance at www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ will show you a comprehensive list.

The club should set a high bar and seek an experienced manager if they are serious about creating a turnaround in our fortunes on the pitch.

Former TUFC players with little to no managerial experience should be ruled out in my opinion - they may come at a low price but a at high long term cost.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Richard money leaves his position at Norwich football club as academy director stating his desire to return back to management I would be happy to have him as are manager he is very experienced and could be the man to replace nico
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

sgf wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 04:04 Jimmy???
Benny??

Oh, he's already dead - but still a legend!! :clap:
ForzaGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Ryan Clarke

Post by ForzaGull »

What about the Dover Athletic duo of Chris Kinnear and his assistant Jake Leberl??

Kinnear has one of the best records in non-league football and has worked wonders on a limited budget.