Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Merse we are going over old ground now we should be looking to who is going to take over.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 18:23 Oh grow up; do!
Clever response!

Not allowed a view that counters yours Mr Poison?

You have your head - how long before you go after the new man?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I can understand Rich Inns points. The posse after Nicholson got their man. However the celebrations many of you seem to be enjoying may be short lived. Merse has it right when he says it's x4 if you are going to replace a guy on 30k and an assistant on ?20k with an experienced managerial team. Will GI see that as realistic or are we in for replacing one inexperienced manager with one ( already in the building but not mentioned much yet )who has yet to manage at all but may do it for the experience and hope that person has the tactical nouse that maybe has been lacking on occasions. Nicho's enthusiasm could however never be questioned- let's stop kicking and kicking him please.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 18:30Merse we are going over old ground now we should be looking to who is going to take over.
That's on a different thread; this one is still open so surely valid to comment on.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

The two points I really agree with on this debate are that we won't know whether to compliment or criticise the board on this decision until the successor is appointed and I also believe the article was written to try and distance himself from failure and create the notion that the club have let him and the supporters down, he is trying to protect his reputation and who can blame him? If you are perceived a failure a Torquay you don't have many options for future management at a professional standard I would say.

I for one am going to try and remain positive and assume experience is on its way. Perhaps ignorance is bliss but it helps with my IBS.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not arguing with any of that at all. If you listen to his radio interview after the BW defeat he didn't sound like a man expecting to be dismissed

I think he genuinely believed that the team was going to go ok this season (even with the bad start)

However his assertion that the return of Gowling would alone turn the teams fortunes around seemed bizarre in the extreme.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Perhaps it would have been, Gowling looked solid against Tranmere and Davis (on paper) sounds great (still don't understand if he came in with this injury or if it developed during pre season), added to Lee's illness I do think as usual bad luck has played a part.

I seem to be one of the few on the middle, I liked Nicho and wished it had worked out for him but I understand why the owners have made this choice and also understand why new owners want their own manager and acccept that's normal.

Now the owners are forced to show their hand and to a degree their intent (at least short term) which is very interesting in my opinion.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

I have to say that I would have given Nicho 3 or 4 more games. From the display I saw yesterday, this team is more than capable of top half finish. It seems that after 2 yrs Nicho has recruited OK and has learnt to manage a team in difficult circumstances.

But here is the crunch. He should never have been appointed - nor Hargreaves. It should be clear to the Board that appointing an ex-player who has got his coaching badges is not the way forward. It takes time to learn how to manage in a particular League, how to motivate, change tactics etc etc,, and Torquay cannot afford to appoint someone who has not done it at this level or League 2.

And what about the coaching? What the hell do the coaching courses and badges teach these guys?, because it aint that difficult to get your team really fit in Devon - get out onto dartmoor and beaches for a start. And surely the leaky defense needed some concentrated coaching to tighten up. There have been other coaching failures overe the past years. We dont need the new manager to bring in his mate as assistant. We need an experienced mannager, but then we also need a tough, experienced coach/assistant who can improve fitness, get them playing as a team, and yes - how about a couple of moves (eg free kicks) developed on the training ground.
Two seperate appointments.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

chestertorkyman wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 19:37 I have to say that I would have given Nicho 3 or 4 more games. From the display I saw yesterday, this team is more than capable of top half finish. It seems that after 2 yrs Nicho has recruited OK and has learnt to manage a team in difficult circumstances.

But here is the crunch. He should never have been appointed - nor Hargreaves. It should be clear to the Board that appointing an ex-player who has got his coaching badges is not the way forward. It takes time to learn how to manage in a particular League, how to motivate, change tactics etc etc,, and Torquay cannot afford to appoint someone who has not done it at this level or League 2.

And what about the coaching? What the hell do the coaching courses and badges teach these guys?, because it aint that difficult to get your team really fit in Devon - get out onto dartmoor and beaches for a start. And surely the leaky defense needed some concentrated coaching to tighten up. There have been other coaching failures overe the past years. We dont need the new manager to bring in his mate as assistant. We need an experienced mannager, but then we also need a tough, experienced coach/assistant who can improve fitness, get them playing as a team, and yes - how about a couple of moves (eg free kicks) developed on the training ground.
Two seperate appointments.
Down fall was lack of seeing how or when to change players to stop another side play, it has cost us time and time again.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 19:54 Down fall was lack of seeing how or when to change players to stop another side play, it has cost us time and time again.
I wholeheartedly agree; throughout this managership I have watched aghast as the same succumbing to superior game management has let the players down before anything else is taken into question.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 20:01 I wholeheartedly agree; throughout this managership I have watched aghast as the same succumbing to superior game management has let the players down before anything else is taken into question.
Merse we should take over it would not cost anything. :)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

arcadia wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 19:54 Down fall was lack of seeing how or when to change players to stop another side play, it has cost us time and time again.
Some things in football cannot be taught it comes from experience and players should have a few years learning the game before going into management. Some players cannot see whats going on in a game some cannot instruct people to do jobs on the pitch.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

chestertorkyman wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 19:37 It should be clear to the Board that appointing an ex-player who has got his coaching badges is not the way forward. It takes time to learn how to manage in a particular League, how to motivate, change tactics etc etc,, and Torquay cannot afford to appoint someone who has not done it at this level or League 2.
I agree with you but read arcadia's comments above and then how about this........

Boreham Wood's boss Luke Garrard is also employed as Academy Director, Head Academy Coach Cameron Mawer, and academy coaches Ricky Shakes, Danny Woodards, David Stephens, Bruno Andrade, Grant Smith, Angelo Balanta, Paul Benson, Dean Wells, Charles Nichol and Tom Champion were all down at Plainmoor on Tuesday night as either management or playing.

The following afternoon my son was being coached by Garrard who is enthusing over his ball retention percentages and one on one technique enough to take him out of the u17 squad and put him up a year in just his second week at the club. A manager with his finger on the pulse of what is available 'within the building' at a club where footballers are encouraged to think about the game and expand their all round skill set to the benefit of club and individual.
Last edited by merse btpir on 20 Aug 2017, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

I won't go into things to deeply but I taught young players as this guy is and I have had lads come back to me saying that they are still using the information that I gave them. Chaney would not have passed inside to Lathrope and we would not have conceded in the evening game. Throw ins, in tight situations there are lessons for youngsters to learn Torquay don't do this.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 18:27 If it has seriously come as a shock to him or anyone else after this wholly disgraceful start to a season, then it shows how deluded/up his own arse he was; and how seriously naïve and complacent any of his sympathisers are!
This. :goodpost: