Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Getting a new manager in will not guarantee things will be any better, but they will not get any better under Nicholson.
The simple fact is that Nicholson is not a manager, he does not have the aptitude for the job. If he really cares about the club he will admit to himself that he cant do it and resign.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

it has to happen now, please kevin do the right thing!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

aggrey_25 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 09:27 I now move on to Harrop and the recruitment director, i mean what the f*ck do these people do at the club, the recruitment guy is as much use as a chocolate tea pot and as for Harrop anyone know his role? its a wasted wage which could be spent on a forward who can actually score goals.
There was a full programme of National League fixtures last night. Was the recruitment director out scouting future opposition or prospective signings?

No he was at Plainmoor doing the half time draw!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Jerry wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 09:39 There was a full programme of National League fixtures last night. Was the recruitment director out scouting future opposition or prospective signings?

No he was at Plainmoor doing the half time draw!
That, for me, is a shocking state of affairs. Surely the one thing in the remit of a Recruitment Director is that you must be taking in games at all levels at any opportunity you can. There was a programme of Southern League games last night - Barnstaple and Taunton were both at home, even if he'd been taking in games at that level it would have possibly provided a greater benefit than doing the half time draw. Let alone the prospect of scouting our next opposition.

I'm sure being a scout must be a bit of a sorry job, constantly on the road taking in games etc. But it needs to be done, and as usual it seems we have someone filling a post without doing the hard yards
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

What are fans going to do about it then?

I know

Turn up next week and vent on message boards afterwards,that's what. Like they did 5 years ago when the club got relegated from the football league and like they will do 5 years from now when the club finds itself languishing to survive in the southern leagues.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

What do you suggest?
TUST number 080
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Lloyder5 wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 10:30 What do you suggest?
I think everyone knows what I suggest. I suggest fans walk away from the football club and begin another. That is the only way that fans will be able to have a say and make changes if required.

Most fans, for their own reasons think this is an insane idea and that's their opinion. They should then accept that the football club will continue to be run shoddily into the ground until it eventually folds. In the meantime fans will just bear the brunt financially and emotionally for what now essentially is a lost cause.

Fans believe the club should get a better manager or better players but it isn't going to happen when you have a football club whose owners number one priority isn't anything to with success on the pitch.

I'm just saying that in 5 years time I wouldn't like to think what state the club will be in, if it exists at all. If a phoenix club had been set up after football league relegation when the club was absolutely rudderless then it could have started the journey of excitement and progressive success like Darlington, Hereford, Scarborough and others and in 5 years time the club could be totally fan owned and self sufficient and hovering around NL south, pretty much where they'll be in a few years anyway but still hamstrung by owners who aren't interested in the heart and soul of the club.

Makes perfect sense to me but protests, moaning about shoddy ticket arrangements, player recruitment etc is pointless because none of these processes and protocols can ever hope to be improved when the ultimate core of the football club is rotten and disinterested in improving the lot of Gulls fans. That core being GI.

Just my opinion that's all and a forum is there for others to vent and release their anger about the club. I just hope none of them are naive enough to think anything can be done about it.

What can be done is taking control of your own affairs and this is the only way of showing parasites like GI that money doesn't buy solidarity. Their money might buy them land but if we bin them off and go it alone we win.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

A phoenix club only makes sense if the original club no longer exists.

None of the clubs you listed would have made a fist of it if the supporter base was split between the original and new clubs.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arrywithanh wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 09:02 Wow... he really is clueless isn't he! Just because you played for a club and some would consider you a legend, does not equate to a good manager. Absolute rubbish, we made Boreham look amazing in attack.
I wondered how long it would take you to come on here gloating.

The performance at Gateshead was dreadful and last night was plainly unacceptable. I have to concede that already we look like following the same pattern as last season - being outplayed and out thought by sides that will be in the lower half of the league. I thought we had players who would do better this season, but on last night's showing that is a forlorn hope. Using a Brucie description, Nicho has had to manage with one hand tied behind his back. I hoped he would turn the club around by learning from the experience of wrong decisions made along the way, but on the evidence of last night, it aint happening. I was in the 'give it 10 games' camp but I now feel that if we are still bottom of the league at 5pm on Saturday (after 5 games), changes have to come. I shall be sorry 'cos Nicho is a good, honest guy and he has worked bloody hard to keep the club on track, but as others have posted - it can't go on like this with yet another dogfight at the wrong end of the league.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Disagree with the first part but yes, I agree that to maximise it's chance of fledgling survival it must get the support of the majority of the fanbase, especially for a club who only get average 3000 gates.

I'd argue that once a phoenix club has become established at lower levels then should the fortunes of Torquay United continue to create more disillusionment and disinterest then more fans would migrate over to the phoenix club over time.

Lets face it. Fans have been served up absolute shite on the pitch for the last God knows how many years and the comedic unprofessional running of it off the pitch doesn't seem to improve either. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that the club isn't going to dramatically improve in both these areas unless owners mean business and wish to overhaul the club lock, stock and barrel to try and turn it into a success.

An owner like the bloke at Burton Albion. Over time has addressed issues and made the club organised, sustainable and efficient both on and off the field.

Torquay meanwhile have owners who, since taking over have kept it ticking over. How long have they been owners now? Other than a new website and nice new kit what tangible improvements have been made to the off field and on field running of the football club to try and rectify the slump and get it moving forward again?

Bugger all. Yet fans still want a new manager, new players that befit the club and stuff like ticketing fiascos ironed out. Ain't never gonna happen. None of it.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jerry wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 08:02 Seriously? What have you been watching for the last 2 years?

That's exactly the sort of gutless, inept, pedestrian performance that is the trademark of the Nicholson era.
I didn't see it coming because I thought that we had more experience in the side which would stop poor results against teams that will be in the lower half of the league. Obviously on the evidence of last night's performance, I was very badly mistaken. An absolute horror show.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

As I've said elsewhere and many times, brand new teams every season with the same budget will never improve the position that the club is in. We have to get used to this; we are a bottom half Conference side that will struggle and a good season is not fighting for relegation.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Take out "half" and you're left with "a bottom Conference side".
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

tomogull wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:07 I wondered how long it would take you to come on here gloating.

The performance at Gateshead was dreadful and last night was plainly unacceptable. I have to concede that already we look like following the same pattern as last season - being outplayed and out thought by sides that will be in the lower half of the league. I thought we had players who would do better this season, but on last night's showing that is a forlorn hope. Using a Brucie description, Nicho has had to manage with one hand tied behind his back. I hoped he would turn the club around by learning from the experience of wrong decisions made along the way, but on the evidence of last night, it aint happening. I was in the 'give it 10 games' camp but I now feel that if we are still bottom of the league at 5pm on Saturday (after 5 games), changes have to come. I shall be sorry 'cos Nicho is a good, honest guy and he has worked bloody hard to keep the club on track, but as others have posted - it can't go on like this with yet another dogfight at the wrong end of the league.
Not gloating, it pains me to see this happening on the field, he is a great bloke (as nice guys go) but I just don't feel he can manage, agreed he clearly has not learnt from previous mistakes, and I very much doubt there is much professional development so I never expected in to change.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

hi tommo, yes he is a good bloke and I was hoping he would turn it around, but good blokes don't always make good managers, it has to change.