Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DuckDuckGull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DuckDuckGull »

Out of the 3 non league managers I named hed have been my 3rd choice. Purely because hes had a larger budget than the others and also the language he uses is atrocious. That said has he got history at playing a decent level? I think players need a manager or coach they can relate to.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

nickbrod wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 19:16 I, too, can't understand those who support Nicholson who's made a pig's ear of being a football manager. He might be a useful youth coach and yes he was a loyal player for us but he's not ever going to be a manager again.
After today we need to get Clarke Osborne into over drive and appoint somebody before next Saturday otherwise Solihull will be going home with the points.
:goodpost:
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Southampton I am really struggling to understand why you imply Nicholson was sacked for reasons other than "footballing reasons"

He was sacked 12 days after the season started on 5th August with United bottom with 1 point from 12.

If there were "other reasons" presumably they existed before 5th August so why did GIL wait until 12th August?

Surely if they wanted him gone it made sense to terminate his contract on say 30th June or earlier so a New Manager could recruit players and not inherit Nicholsons recruits. Can you enlighten us?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

portugull wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 20:50Southampton I am really struggling to understand why you imply Nicholson was sacked for reasons other than "footballing reasons"
Well if he wasn't, he bloody well should have been sacked for footballing reasons!

Bottom of he league, signing crocks; playing shit football = :red:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

portugull wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 20:50 Southampton I am really struggling to understand why you imply Nicholson was sacked for reasons other than "footballing reasons"

He was sacked 12 days after the season started on 5th August with United bottom with 1 point from 12.

If there were "other reasons" presumably they existed before 5th August so why did GIL wait until 12th August?

Surely if they wanted him gone it made sense to terminate his contract on say 30th June or earlier so a New Manager could recruit players and not inherit Nicholsons recruits. Can you enlighten us?
So by your reasoning then Merse, Corbyn should be sacked too? 😉

We lost again today without Nicholson, perhaps if our head of recruitment had done his job better we wouldn't find it necessary to blame our ex manager for everything. I've argued his case and people are entitled to express their counter opinions but our club is rotten to the core, toxic you could say. That certainly isn't his fault and I just dislike the ridiculing of a decent man and someone who did his job with constant threats and unreasonable demands placed on him by certain people.

What's done is done and I'm not going to say anything that could jeopardise his right to compensation for his contract being terminated. What I can say is that Harrop has been a far bigger disaster in his role than Nicholson ever was in his. The salad Dodger can huff and puff all he likes but I know him for what he is. All will be revealed in time I'm sure.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

There have been lots of managers who have lost their jobs with far better records than KN's. Results on the field were enough, even if there are other issues. Whether KN could have managed more successfully in a more supportive environment (e.g. The one that Buckle prospered under), we'll never know.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It's time to move on!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

It's time to move on! :keepie:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yes it is but on to what?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

arcadia wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 22:21 It's time to move on! :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Talking to Gerry Gills father, Gerry is looking to get a job back in coaching or management ex Wolves West Brom & Rovers good contacts.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

I feel the need to lie down,I am starting to agree with Brucie
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

arcadia wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 22:43 Talking to Gerry Gills father, Gerry is looking to get a job back in coaching or management ex Wolves West Brom & Rovers good contacts.
And apart from 44 days managing Weymouth (who were bottom of their league throughout), no managerial experience whatsoever. So, again, no thanks.

It's Jerry Gill anyway
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

He did not tell me that!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 21:41 So by your reasoning then Merse, Corbyn should be sacked too? 😉

We lost again today without Nicholson, perhaps if our head of recruitment had done his job better we wouldn't find it necessary to blame our ex manager for everything. I've argued his case and people are entitled to express their counter opinions but our club is rotten to the core, toxic you could say. That certainly isn't his fault and I just dislike the ridiculing of a decent man and someone who did his job with constant threats and unreasonable demands placed on him by certain people.

What's done is done and I'm not going to say anything that could jeopardise his right to compensation for his contract being terminated. What I can say is that Harrop has been a far bigger disaster in his role than Nicholson ever was in his. The salad Dodger can huff and puff all he likes but I know him for what he is. All will be revealed in time I'm sure.
Dave - I fear you're banging your head against a brick wall. So called supporters are judging Nicho by what they see on the pitch (and yes - certainly last Tuesday was a pitiful 'performance') without looking at the wider picture of what's happening off the field. As you say, TUFC is a toxic mess and has been since Martin Ling'd departure. Any football club that is not being run in a professional manner will fail, just like any business. Clubs like Charlton, Chesterfield, Hartlepool and Leyton Orient (now under better management, thankfully) are in turmoil off the field and they are struggling on the field. I'm sure there are others but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Until the club is run in a professional way, there will be no upturn in our fortunes. For starters, where is the group of local people that would become Board members which was promised would be in place before the start of the season? Kev may well have his shortcomings as highlighted by those who read the game better than me, but I have repeated before one of Brucie's 'nuggets' - "Nicho is managing the the team with one arm tied behind his back". That is soooo spot on. Now, as Arcadia has said, it is time to move on.