Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Bert.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Kevin Nicholson has penned an open letter in today's edition of the Non-League Paper. A poster on BPIR has posted it in full on that forum. This is it copied and pasted below:

"I write this on the evening of the day I got sacked for the first time.
I woke this morning determined to prepare the team to beat Guiseley and by 10-20am was unemployed.
I have seen my children and wife in floods of tears, more upset for me than anything else as they've seen the work and the passion, the heartbreak, the elation and the hours spent fighting against odds to do right at the football club where all of my best moments have come in extremely difficult times.
They have been a constant source of inspiration for me. When times are tough I'm doing it for them and with there help, when times are good I want them to feel it and share in it, be part of that feeling.
I have said emotional farewells to a group of players who I trust and believe in and asked them to go and show everyone what they are capable of.
Apologised for not having the chance to complete the vision I had shown them when asking them to move down here and sign for me. Made sure they are ready to welcome the next guy through the door and be successful as players and people from now on.
I hope I taught them something positive.
I've had so many nice messages, generally disappointment that I've gone to soon but all with a thank you and that means a lot.
One of my favourite messages was from my old Gaffa Martin Ling who wrote " you're not a real manager until you've been sacked"
I liked that, I feel like one of the club now. He's been there, seen it and done it on so many levels and is one of the good guys in football, I really hope Orient kick on with his help and experience.
I genuinely love Torquay. Not just the club but the area where I was married and my kids were born, the people and the places who have welcomed me in from the first day I stepped foot in the area and all the experiences I have enjoyed while down here.
I met Paul Buckle at a place called the Thatched Tavern in 2007 where he sold me his vision of the club and what he wanted to achieve and wow did we achieve it.
Cup runs, promotions, way more highs than lows, which is a rarity in football. Friendships made that have lasted and experiences shared that will last forever.
7 unbroken years as a player, 350 appearances, having to prove myself several times over but a total appreciation of how lucky I was to do what I did and play for the club.
Never once have I taken anything for granted and I knew when I left in 2014 I'd be back to manage this fine football club.
It came quicker than I expected and in 2015 I stepped in as the cheap option because no one else of note really wanted the job!
Early on, while getting beat at several opposition grounds I heard that sentiment echoed "you're going down Nicholson, you were just the cheap option!!"
I had to agree with the second part of that!!
The Great Escape part 1 was done with the help of many great people who stuck with me through the tough times and then shared in our near miraculous escape and the incredible feelings that came with it.
Robbie Herrera, Gareth Laws and Simon Jeffery by my side each day instilling our way into a group who we had to pick up off the floor on more than one occasion. Smiling daily in the face of adversity because we had total belief in our ability to turn the tide even with our "lack of experience" we knew what needed to be done, never listened to the noise around us and stuck to our plan.
Changes made, players in and players out searching for character first, ability second at all times.
I knew on the day we beat Borehamwood, with a towering header from Bliss, that we were staying up.
Admittedly most thought I was mad as that win closed the gap to safety to 10 points in February but I knew and I wrote it down in my journal that night.
I've several journals full from my 2 years as manager, history books of the things I did well, the mistakes I made and the madness I've had to deal with on an almost daily basis.
I am nothing if not honest!!
They'll make a good book one day.
We hit promotion form from then on with a group who I would've gone to war with any day of the week.
Real men who had each other's backs and I would have been proud to work with even if relegation had happened.
I'll never forget Smithy, who was injured, in the away end at Bromley celebrating with our fans as Gus ran over after scoring the opening goal in the game that sealed our survival or the celebrations at the end when we realised we had done it.
The season ended brilliantly and yet the off field trouble carried on and come the next season we were left once again in limbo.
Owners who were tufc passionate and desperate to help me but without the funds or the business acumen to do so. Dave Philips, Steve Breed and a board of tufc fans doing all they could to keep it afloat in the face of building financial pressures and fan unrest.
If the fans new what these guys did and what they had to deal with then their standing would be a whole lot higher and nearer where it should be. They sacrificed time, money and emotions at a time when no one else would and for that they deserve credit.
After an off season thinking I could concentrate only on football we were once again thrown into a season of uncertainty, minibus driving and penny pinching but we found a way and strangely when our bus broke down for the 4th time that season having conceded 2 late goals away at Lincoln to find ourselves 4 points from safety with 3 games to go I got that eerie feeling that we were going to do it.
I mean, what else could go wrong?!
We had dominated Lincoln in front of 10,000 of their brilliant fans and we had them right where we wanted them with 5 minutes to go but, as was the season they had, it was to be their day and they found a way to win.
The performance showed me the lads were right and the bus breaking down just seemed to relieve the pressure at 2-00am on a Friday night!!
1-0 down at home to Braintree in our next "must win" fixture and a goal ruled out by a terrible offside call but the reaction of the group sealed that feeling.
We were staying up again and when Brett Williams fired in the equaliser and ran to celebrate in front of the linesman who'd ruled out his earlier strike it was cemented for me.
The game finished 3-1, The Great Escape part 2 was happening.
A great win at Dover and a routine win to finish it at home to North Ferriby and surely now I could build MY squad and MY team with no off field issues?!
A summer of long hours, hard work and negotiations and on day one of pre season I could see I had done what I'd hoped.
We had Got a really good group of characters together who were fit, hungry and desperate to buy into my philosophy and how I believed things should be done.
3 weeks ago we beat Truro 6-0 in our final pre season game and I couldn't be more excited to work with this group and achieve a positive season and a big step forward for the club.
4 games in, 2 bad performances and I'm now a management stat. The first in the top 5 leagues to be sacked.
2 years earning the right to field MY team without distractions and all it took was a few unfortunate injuries over the first week of the season, 2 poor performances and I will not get that chance at TUFC.
That's my only disappointment.
Last season Exeter had a nightmare start because of injuries and Paul Tisdale, who I respect hugely, was adamant that his team would do well.
There were car park protests to get him out after 8 games but he was backed and true to his word when the injuries came back they had an incredible season, falling only at the final hurdle at Wembley.
I asked him his thoughts on this and his reply was "never give up on talent, this group had character and talent"
This group will do well, without question the next guy through these doors will inherit a very good group and once they gel and everyone is fit he will think he's won the lottery (he may not tell you that publicy!!)
I am disappointed I won't get to see this group reach their potential, develop some of these players who have league quality in them that I've proven over and over again that I can get out of my players, especially those who have hit a plateau or had a bad year or two. I love taking "reclamation projects" and getting them back on track. It gives me a real buzz to be a part of a player succeeding when he's been written off by others.
In 2 years here I've been a big part in developing and selling players on to bigger and better things.
Around £200k in profits from players with sell on fees in place to take that way higher.
I'm proud of this and hope that the chairman and decision makers out there are aware of this when my CV passes there desk.
I'm also proud that I've made a difference to a lot of players and helped build them back up. I know they appreciate it and have not forgotten what myself and my staff did to help them along again.
I want all my players to go on and have better careers than I did, play in front of big crowds in big games, earn great money in a short career and pass on my values and some of the lessons they learned from me.
I am disappointed that I won't get the chance to lead tufc and the clubs incredible fans back up the National league and back into league football.
I think I'd earned the right to have a crack at that but football is cruel and with new owners come new ideas and the right to do whatever they want. This is the game and they'll be judged on that one way or another.
I wish the club and its fans nothing but success, they deserve it more than most.
I wish the next manager nothing but success, good fortune and the backing, resources and relationship with the board that every TUFC manager deserves.
The experience I've gained over 2 years here would be comparable to 10 years most anywhere else and I leave with my head held high and, hopefully, with my reputation in the game in tact and ready to go again when the next opportunity arises.
I think I've achieved great things here in circumstances that have proved I can deal with pressure that many can't and will always stick to my morals and ethical code. I will be successful but always true to myself at all times with no exceptions.
Football has turned many good men cynical and bitter and I will never allow that to happen. It's turned many men arrogant and thinking they are above others but I will never allow this to happen to myself, my staff or my players.
Players, fans, Young & old should be treated properly and given your time whenever possible. We are privileged to do what we do whether playing or managing and giving back to the community is as important as any win on the pitch.
Football is about winning but to me that is on and off the pitch, in the schools and the community and I think I've done that in my time here.
My CV is ready and I'm fresh and fired up to, once again, prove myself.

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z4qHsxGvdq
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 10:23 So called supporters are judging Nicho by what they see on the pitch (and yes - certainly last Tuesday was a pitiful 'performance') without looking at the wider picture of what's happening off the field.
I'm not failing to see the wider picture; what I am constantly banging on about is the necessity to employ someone who has dealt with all that before and come out on top.....that is the recruitment priority. Not someone who was coaching the ladies team, running a five-a-side centre in Newton Abbot and is a generally good egg.......Kevin Nicholson had never managed before and yet he was put behind the wheel of a vehicle with two wheels hanging off the cliff edge. Now if that were your pride and joy; would you want a learner driver getting in your car and trying to get it out of trouble?

There's so much sentimental clap-trap written and spoken about this guy and not enough recognition of what is really needed. This current team that quits on their stools and easily folds is the product of his recruitment, the result of his management and disorganised to the point of embarrassment.

Time for change, sweeping out ALL the remnants of this failed regime and fighting back from the bottom of the league ~ yes; the BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE!
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

'I wish the next manager nothing but success, good fortune and the backing, resources and relationship with the board that every TUFC manager deserves.'

Glaringly obvious implication here that he did not enjoy the backing, resources or relationship with the board. People talk about him losing the dressing room, I think it's a miracle that he held the dressing room for so long given how obvious it was to anyone connected to the club that the powers that be wanted him out. How loyal do you think you'd be as a player if you knew that the top brass wanted the manager out? And let's not get idealistic here, you want a good relationship with the new boss and the board cos you have a wife and kids to feed, a mortgage to pay etc.

I feel incredibly sorry for Kevin Nicholson.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ok enoughs enough. I realise I was wrong all along. Can we get Nicholson back? We've let a legend go and its a big mistake. Bloody hell is that not the full letter?

Seriously though - no one wants to see his family upset, but I think Kevin is deluding himself if he thinks that he is being denied the chance to lead us back to the promised land.

He has Lee and Gowling injured and Davis who has not kicked a ball since he was signed. That's no excuse.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Like madgull I too feel incredibly sorry for Kevin Nicholson and his family.

I keep repeating what I posted on August 9th that Gaming International would be ruthless if results were poor but I did not think they would wield the axe after just 12 days of the season.

It shows how keen GIL were to sack Nicho at the very first opportunity.

Southampton gull thanks for your response to my post last night and I completely respect you cannot say any more for fear of prejudicing Kevin Nicholson's contractual settlement with the owners of the Club.

No doubt in the fullness of time all will be revealed but it seems clear our Club is joining a long list of Football Clubs who have fallen into the hands of unscrupulous people. If only I was a multi millionaire and could make them an offer they could not refuse.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

tomogull wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 10:23 Dave - I fear you're banging your head against a brick wall. So called supporters are judging Nicho by what they see on the pitch (and yes - certainly last Tuesday was a pitiful 'performance') without looking at the wider picture of what's happening off the field. As you say, TUFC is a toxic mess and has been since Martin Ling'd departure. Any football club that is not being run in a professional manner will fail, just like any business. Clubs like Charlton, Chesterfield, Hartlepool and Leyton Orient (now under better management, thankfully) are in turmoil off the field and they are struggling on the field. I'm sure there are others but those are the ones that spring to mind.
Jesus. Of course we are, for the simple fact that there are plenty of managers in the National League that do far more with the same or less money than Nicho has. If he was achieving stable mid table finishes season in/season out against the backdrop of his budget and the boardroom issues, we'd all be praising him as that would be a very real achievement. Simple fact is that he hasn't been. I dare say that if Paul Cox was still here, we would not have been in the same situation over the past two seasons, even given the same budgets. Cox's team weren't half as bad as Nichos before the £150k injection of cash that Nicho received in that first season.

No one is ignoring the off the field situation, its been dire but Nicho has not improved the team over his tenure, even now after the second full pre-season he's had and the second team that he's entirely put together, it is still full of the same old problems. He's a great guy that bleeds Torquay but he wasn't the right appointment back in 2015 and the time is right for a change. I hope he gets a chance to be a #2 somewhere, maybe even work at Bristol Rovers alongside Mansell before getting back into management after a bit more experience.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Ok, let's deal in cold facts.

Yes Nico is upset, his family are upset but his chosen occupation is notoriously precarious and they would have been aware the phone call could have come at any time

Managers in far higher league positions with better records have been sacked

Managers have been sacked quicker!

He will not be the first manager that had issues with the board/owner

Most of all, we are bottom and have shipped 13 goals already. Regardless of performances, the table doesn't lie. Crowds were going to drop and the resentment to the team was clear to see

I stand by my theory that people will put up with most things (GI included) if there is a successful team in the pitch

I doubt we will ever hear the full story as there will be confidentiality clauses etc so we can all summise but the bottom line is he is gone. Was that right? Well I guess that will depend on the performance of the next manager but there was a clear running theme that he could not manage a game

On personal note, I know he loved he club and I genuinely wish him nothing but success - right club wrong time.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Madgull/Portugull - You are letting your feelings for Nicho cloud your judgement. Be careful or you will end up like Southampton Gull. Beware the man crush - that's what I say.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 11:06 I'm not failing to see the wider picture; what I am constantly banging on about is the necessity to employ someone who has dealt with all that before and come out on top.....that is the recruitment priority. Not someone who was coaching the ladies team, running a five-a-side centre in Newton Abbot and is a generally good egg.......Kevin Nicholson had never managed before and yet he was put behind the wheel of a vehicle with two wheels hanging off the cliff edge. Now if that were your pride and joy; would you want a learner driver getting in your car and trying to get it out of trouble?

There's so much sentimental clap-trap written and spoken about this guy and not enough recognition of what is really needed. This current team that quits on their stools and easily folds is the product of his recruitment, the result of his management and disorganised to the point of embarrassment.

Time for change, sweeping out ALL the remnants of this failed regime and fighting back from the bottom of the league ~ yes; the BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE!
I don't disagree with much of your post. Nicho himself says he was appointed as a 'cheap option'. But nothing will change until TUFC is run in a professional manner which it hasn't been for the past five or six years, albeit by well-intentioned individuals who put their heads above the parapet, and it still isn't today. I fully agree with your post on another thread - the next appointment will show us just what Gaming International's true ambitions are for the club.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

brucie just because I feel sorry for Nicholson does not mean I am fawning over him.

Many fans will feel genuinely sorry that Nicho has lost his job simply because over 10 years he gave his all for the Club. Not many people would have done what Nicho did at times, like driving the mini bus, because he truly loved the Club.

We will never know what he has had to put up with but in life as in Sport sometimes luck plays a very big part.

Three examples. Ipswich signing Kieffer Moore at the 11th hour. Raccine injured in his first game. Jordan Lee unavailable at a crucial time. These are not excuses but sheer bad luck which were out of the Managers control.

Nicholson by his own admission made mistakes but the start to this season was one mistake too many and the players must bear some responsibility for

taking 1 point from 15.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

sgf wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 12:53 Ok, let's deal in cold facts.

Yes Nico is upset, his family are upset but his chosen occupation is notoriously precarious and they would have been aware the phone call could have come at any time

Managers in far higher league positions with better records have been sacked

Managers have been sacked quicker!

He will not be the first manager that had issues with the board/owner

Most of all, we are bottom and have shipped 13 goals already. Regardless of performances, the table doesn't lie. Crowds were going to drop and the resentment to the team was clear to see

I stand by my theory that people will put up with most things (GI included) if there is a successful team in the pitch

I doubt we will ever hear the full story as there will be confidentiality clauses etc so we can all summise but the bottom line is he is gone. Was that right? Well I guess that will depend on the performance of the next manager but there was a clear running theme that he could not manage a game

On personal note, I know he loved he club and I genuinely wish him nothing but success - right club wrong time.
Exactly this.

Nico makes reference to the situation Tisdale was in a year ago with injuries and you could argue that KN has a valid point here. However, Tisdale had something like an entire team's worth of players injured, not just three. Every club goes through periods of having 3 players injured. Was the mystery left-back really going to make that much of a difference?

Tisdale also had a track record of success behind him, not two relegation battles, so the were grounds for persisting with him. Is anyone seriously kidding themselves that when the left-back, Gowling and Jordan Lee (who isn't even our player anyway and was signed relatively late) came back, we were going to be challenging for promotion.

These first five games have simply illustrated that the side is the same old, same old, despite new players. Turgid performances, slow and pedestrian, unable to defend and score enough upfront.

He may have injured players, but he cannot use that excuse with Davis. That player must have been injured when he signed. He has not featured once in pre-season, so it was never likely that he was 'about' to come back. Perhaps early season recruitment should have focussed there. Or was it a case of 'character first, actually being fit enough to play second'?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Nicholson's been on borrowed time since March when, in his own words, he was expecting the phone to ring. Well at least when it was done it was face-to-face.
As a player he gave his all; as a manager he should have begun further down the pyramid.
Anyway he's now the past and what is the future for TUFC?
Herrera yesterday said both Gowling and Davis are "at least two weeks away" from fitness. But will Davis ever kick a ball for us?
Let's hope the new manager is appointed during this coming week.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 12:35 Ok enoughs enough. I realise I was wrong all along. Can we get Nicholson back? We've let a legend go and its a big mistake. Bloody hell is that not the full letter?

Seriously though - no one wants to see his family upset, but I think Kevin is deluding himself if he thinks that he is being denied the chance to lead us back to the promised land.

He has Lee and Gowling injured and Davis who has not kicked a ball since he was signed. That's no excuse.
I have attended all the meetings since Kevin took over and he has all the skills to promote the club as well as cover a multitude of cock ups on the pitch. Kevin seems a nice guy and I have been shocked that he has lasted this long in the job without a Chairman telling him to get a coach in the dugout alongside him and I think it could have kept him in a job. He is suffering now because he lives in the community which is not a good idea at a professional club.
It's results that are looked at not what goes on behind the scenes but as a supporter I thank you for everything you have done for the club.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 14:28 He is suffering now because he lives in the community which is not a good idea at a professional club.
Precisely; another example of confusion between paid professional and 'fan'.....players and managers are not fans they are employees!

What a load of self indulgent toss this is in the NLP. It really shows the ego of the man. This wasn't, remember, the NLP or the Herald ringing up desperate for an interview, this was HIM being so up his own arse HE sends in a letter to a national rag. Because everyone must give a **** about how you're getting on, right Nicho?

Those weren't my words but those of someone else angered by this rubbish to which my response on BTPIR was:

I pretty much echo those thoughts, and having spoken at length with him when he called me in the Spring; it's pretty much par for the course where Nicholson is concerned.

Look at he fuss when he was dropped and transfer listed by Bucks, the schmozzle (which he did illustrate to me) when he and Manse were at loggerheads with Knill and the 'certainty' that he would one day manage Torquay United.....so much up his own arse you couldn't believe it and now other people can see what crap those who appointed him fell for to the detriment of club and playing fortunes.

What I witnessed in the form of 'Nicho worship' rather than anger at what he was doing to Torquay United at the conclusion of the game on Tuesday shocked me to be honest. Disappointed me; then angered me.

Just an extension of the Dave Phillips, Balsons and Kerswells in Bristows Bench like some ruddy 'Byegones club' living in the past and devoid of reality. Insightful of the mentality of Thea Bristow and the manner in which she was ripe for being exploited by a previous board as she was.

I keep saying it; this club and the town will reap what they sow. Two years under Kevin Nicholson, the demise and relegation under Chris Hargreaves has all been part of that. They have been an easy touch to draw a wage under and now (hopefully) those who succeed them will have to produce for their money to bring results on the pitch and single minded focus in the dressing room and on the training ground.

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z4qIr1H3lD