Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Went on? I thought he was on ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Southampton Gull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 21:26 Went on? I thought he was on ;-)
:)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 18:20 This is a book called 'Provided You Don't Kiss Me' written by a guy called Duncan Hamilton who was a reporter with the local Nottingham paper. There are some great one liners. This is one that had me chortling. Cloughie had a short unsuccesful time at Brighton and during this time, they lost to Walton & Hersham in the F.A. Cup. He ranted in the Dressing Room afterwards "**** Hell - we lost to a team that sounds like a firm of **** solicitors". Brilliant - but such a complex character.

Oops! Lucyx2 will be slagging us off for going off topic in a minute !! :)
Slag you off ?This whole thread is hilarious to read. Barring we are forgetting whether we agree or disagree our manager who actually cared for the club is sacked. That is the disappointment.
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I've no idea what Harrop earns. How do you actually know what his salary is? I very much doubt that you have the first clue.

I am actually no fan of Harrop whatsoever but why would he want anything to do with the managers job? If hes got a cushy number like you say (which I'm not doubting for a minute) why on earth would he want the grief associated with being the manager. He would be a complete mug.

So your reasoning is actually just plain daft. According to you he does bugger all and earns a big fat wedge and is doing very nicely thank you very much - yet according to you he wants to poke his nose into team affairs.

For what reason though? - he is obviously aware how atrocious we are and is probably savvy enough to realise we will be on the arse end of another hiding from the mighty Guiseley tomorrow.

In the circumstances would you actually want to get involved in running the team? I would do exactly what he is doing and put plank of wood Herrera in charge.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

When I seen Herrera was in charge I thought we'd signed a Manchester United player. If he's a plank I'd use him to cover the goal. :-D

Joking apart what concerns me is the goals conceded in our last home game were very similar to the ones we conceded against Aldershot. There was a big gap through the middle any manager would have closed this up in the next game but we just did the same thing in the second half throwing the game away.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

cambgull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 00:44KN is not a manager, he'd be a decent coach or perhaps some sort of ambassadorial role would suit him.
Not at Torquay United's expense though!

He's had a decade of employment from the club in a finite, short-lived industry and will walk with some 'compo' ~ not a lot because he agreed to work for so little, but that's his responsibility not Clarke Osborne's.
Last edited by merse btpir on 19 Aug 2017, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 22:42 ....... what concerns me is the goals conceded in our last home game were very similar to the ones we conceded against Aldershot. There was a big gap through the middle any manager would have closed this up in the next game but we just did the same thing in the second half throwing the game away.
That's because this much lauded manager didn't have a clue as to how to read the opposition; stubbornly stuck to his way of playing and could not counter what the opposition were doing.

He was out thought and out manoeuvred at every turn on Tuesday night; his team was inferior fitness wise; tactically naïve as individuals and lacking in belief. Poorly captained by a shrinking violet, and anyone who walked in and witnessed that would realise this was a totally unfit for purpose set up to set before such a facility as Plainmoor and crowd to boot.......his performance as a manager and his players out on the pitch were a shambles.
Last edited by merse btpir on 19 Aug 2017, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

And so it begins...
Actually I have been looking forward to hearing from Merse on the events of this week
TUST number 080
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time we had a stand in manager the score was 3-8 was it Bromely I tried to forget Dean Edwards lets hope it's better today. :keepie: :'(
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arcadia wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 09:46 Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time we had a stand in manager the score was 3-8 was it Bromely I tried to forget Dean Edwards lets hope it's better today. :keepie: :'(
that's true.

but if you could hand-pick a team to play it would be guiseley :)
hopefully the XI that get picked go out and prove a point today and going forward - that they can actually play as a team.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

Lloyder5 wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 09:17 And so it begins...
Actually I have been looking forward to hearing from Merse on the events of this week
He is obviously a very knowledgeable chap!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 09:08 That's because this much lauded manager didn't have a clue as to how to read the opposition; stubbornly stuck to his way of playing and could not counter what the opposition were doing.

He was out thought and out manoeuvred at every turn on Tuesday night; his team was inferior fitness wise; tactically naïve as individuals and lacking in belief. Poorly captained by a shrinking violet, and anyone who walked in and witnessed that would realise this was a totally unfit for purpose set up to set before such a facility as Plainmoor and crowd to boot.......his performance as a manager and his players out on the pitch were a shambles.
Merse I was being tactful :-D
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ACW2IOW wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 10:13 He is obviously a very knowledgeable chap!

don't tell him that for Christ's sake..... :no:
.....and get your tongue from out his ........ :S :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

ACW2IOW wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 10:13 He is obviously a very knowledgeable chap!
Look; it's not rocket science and whilst Nicholson gets all the plaudits for his acknowledged passion for the club and the community the position of manager is much more than that and indeed totally irrelevant to that....less time with the community and development project and more time on the road watching players and games!

It’s up to the players to stand up and be counted; all of the time and throughout every match and it's up to the manager to recruit accordingly. In my opinion and observation he has never done that; indeed he has actively avoided and removed those sort of characters from his squads and hence you get what you saw on Tuesday night. One goal conceded and they drain away like bathwater down a plughole; no leaders, no characters and soft great lumps like Fallon coming on and without any effect whatsoever.

Nice guy and maybe sold an ice cream or two to the manager's kids but not a fit for purpose leader out there on the pitch. Did you see his pathetic non effort to win a high ball down the middle from Clarke that led to the fourth goal? He didn't want to know, making a token effort more akin to protecting his ridiculous man bun than getting his head on the ball.

There is always pressure to compete for every ball in this league and Nicholson just does not produce teams like that ; he's had two years to do it and does not. Who will do that if the manager doesn't insist on it? All we can do is respect all of our opponents, prepare properly and see where it takes us; but I get the impression they're all living on this 'Plainmoor is superior' sort of attitude and take it onto the pitch with the dire consequences of being out fought, out thought and 'out desired'.......a toxic mix in a club and it has been around like a cancer for around five years now. It was bound to end like this as soon as people like Harrop, Hedges and Adie Britton started analysing things for Osborne.

Nicholson was self confessed lucky to survive this long and just repeated his errors in the summer with the results we have seen now.

Too much confusion with being a nice guy than an effective manager down that way for my liking. People had no idea what Frank O'Farrell could be like, Bruce Rioch neither and Cyril Knowles after them. When Alan Knill came in to do a job people like Nicholson and Mansell didn't like it and the public get this message that because a manager can be a bastard to failing players he's some sort of pariah. Well get Gary Hill or Mark Yates in and see the sparks fly because they need to.

Torquay United does not need a manager who sells Torquay as a great place to live and bring up your kids. They need a hard nosed bastard who will demand; and either get results or get rid of those who do not deliver them. It is not a retirement home for the likes of Gowling and Davies to come and fill out their sick notes, Fallon to engage in World Cup fantasies or Anderson to continue to con everyone that he is a footballer.
Last edited by merse btpir on 19 Aug 2017, 11:56, edited 3 times in total.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 10:58 Look; it's not rocket science and whilst Nicholson gets all the plaudits for his acknowledged passion for the club and the community the position of manager is much more than that and indeed totally irrelevant to that....less time with the community and development project and more time on the road watching players and games!

It’s up to the players to stand up and be counted; all of the time and throughout every match and it s up to the manager to recruit accordingly. In my opinion and observation he has never done that; indeed he has actively avoided and removed those sort of characters from his squads and hence you get what you saw on Tuesday night. One goal conceded and they drain away like bathwater down a plughole; no leaders, no characters and soft great lumps like Fallon coming on and without any effect whatsoever.

Nice guy and maybe sold an ice cream or two to the manager's kids but not a fit for purpose leader out there on the pitch. Did you see his pathetic non effort to win a high ball down the middle from Clarke that led to the fourth goal? He didn't want to know, making a token effort more akin to protecting his ridiculous man bun than getting his head on the ball.

There is always pressure to compete for every ball in this league and Nicholson just does not produce teams like that ; he's had two years to do it and does not. Who will do that if the manager doesn't insist on it? All we can do is respect all of our opponents, prepare properly and see where it takes us; but I get the impression they're all living on this 'Plainmoor is superior' sort of attitude and take it onto the pitch with dire consequences of being out fought, out thought and 'out desired'.......a toxic mix in a club and it has been around like a cancer for around five years now. It was bound to end like this as soon as people like Harrop, Hedges and Adie Britton started analysing things for Osborne.

Nicholson was self confessed lucky to survive this long and just repeated his errors in the summer with the results we have seen now.

Too much confusion with being a nice guy than an effective manager down that way for my liking. People had no idea what Frank O'Farrell could be like, Bruce Rioch neither and Cyril Knowles after them. When Alan Knill came in to do a job people like Nicholson and Mansell didn't like it and the public get this message that because a manager can be a bastard to failing players he's some sort of pariah. Well get Gary Hill or Mark Yates in and see the sparks fly because they need to.

Torquay United does not need a manager who sells Torquay as a great place to live and bring up your kids. They need a hard nosed bastard who will demand; and either get results or get rid of those who do not deliver them. It is not a retirement home for the likes of Gowling and Davies to come and fill out their sick notes, Fallon to engage in World Cup fantasies or Anderson to continue to con everyone that he is a footballer.
Cant really disagree with any of that, just get somebody in and get this club moving forwards