Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

arcadia wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 15:10 My thought are not to have an ex-player with no experience of management as it takes a few years to learn more about the game and how to handle people. We need experience we have seen our team ripped apart in two of the games with no reaction from the dugout.

Another ex manager with loads of experience is Musker and perhaps team up with one of the others still in the game as these are top managers at the level. If there is no money for players.
I can't work out why you are obsessed with ex-players/local managers. What use is local knowledge? We don't need local players unless we are going to be playing in the Western League. We are playing in a national division. Rogers, Musker, Joyce? Next you'll be suggesting Tony Bowker or some other such SDL manager.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

OllieGull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 14:50 Andrew Whing, Oxford's youth team manager has been linked to the job by a sports journalist on Twitter.
This would be the sort of appointment I would support. Something a little left field and imaginative. He was linked with the Oxford job when Appleton left for Leicester.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Hope Dave Hedges is as good as his reputation as I think he will be the one with the biggest say on who
the next manager will be
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

cider gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:13 Very dissappointed in the Clubs behaviour on this one. If Nico was sailing that close to the wind then this should have been sorted in the close season and not FOUR GAMES IN! Allowing him to assemble a squad and then giving it four games to gell is beyond belief, especially as key members are injured. It matters not whether Nico was a very fine man (which he is and that's rare in football) or a right so and so this is poor directorship from above.
The club is now in danger of moving even farther down the laughing stock ladder and if Geoff Harrop manages for any spell of time as far as i'm concerned we'll be at absolute rock bottom. I await in despondent expectation for the words of wisdom from the directors when a statement emerges.
Brilliant post and echoes my feelings.

The fat bastard will be loving his chance to pick the team. Robbie won't be no matter what the Obese one says.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 21:59 Brilliant post and echoes my feelings.

The fat bastard will be loving his chance to pick the team. Robbie won't be no matter what the Obese one says.
well Dave, I'm (extra) looking forward to standing behind the away dugout now on Saturday.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Tell him I said hello...............and throw a pie at the **** ;-)
Dave

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:16 Tell him I said hello...............and [highlight=yellow]throw a pie at the **** [/highlight];-)
im not Dave.... :-o
he will eat the f*cker and ask for another (ten).
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

hector wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 21:19 I can't work out why you are obsessed with ex-players/local managers. What use is local knowledge? We don't need local players unless we are going to be playing in the Western League. We are playing in a national division. Rogers, Musker, Joyce? Next you'll be suggesting Tony Bowker or some other such SDL manager.
I would sooner have a local manager with experience at the level than a manager you do not know, a lot of the managers can manage with money but not with a small budget. The managers that I have mentioned can manage on small budgets. If you can come up with a manager who lives in the midlands or up north and willing to move down here, that can manage on the budget that Nicholson had then say so. Why are you so obsessed with managers out of Devon we are as good as them. :|
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

arcadia wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 14:53

Depending on money Tivertons Rogers would be on my list along with Joyce of Bideford as they are both experienced at the level and have local knowledge.
arcadia wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:27
I would sooner have a local manager with experience at the level than a manager you do not know, a lot of the managers can manage with money but not with a small budget. The managers that I have mentioned can manage on small budgets. If you can come up with a manager who lives in the midlands or up north and willing to move down here, that can manage on the budget that Nicholson had then say so. Why are you so obsessed with managers out of Devon we are as good as them. :|

How are they experienced at National League level?
Dave

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:27 The club may be looking to put more money into the budget but if they are not you are not left with many options and they would be the best. Both Rogers and Joyce have years of experience and produced very good sides. I am suggesting this only if there is no money left in the budget. Both are far more experienced than our last two managers. Both managers have experience at a higher level.

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:27
I think you should be asking Nicho that after the Aldershot game. If you have experience and have good players you can be successful as a manager
and it's the managers job to get the good players as half his job is done then.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You cannot really lay the blame for Nicholsons dismissal at Harrop's door. As general manager he has clearly reported back to Osborne.

Are you seriously suggesting that Harrop is rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of picking Saturdays team. I would venture to suggest that this is probably nonsense given that Harrop probably has a job at the club that suits him.

As sad as it is that Nicholson has gone its really nobodies fault other than the manager himself. The performances against Gateshead and Boreham Wood have done for him. Its as simple as that.

In fact if Harrop did pick the team it may not be a bad idea. On his only other occasion in charge he came up with an excellent compact formation which was far in advance of the shambles that Nicholson came up with on Tuesday night.

In the circumstances calling him a "Fat Bastard" seems a bit pointless really - its hardly his fault the team has been a laughing stock so far this season.

Arcadia - how on earth can you highlight Joyce or Rogers as credible candidates. Whats the point of having local knowledge if that knowledge amounts to basically Western League standard.

We simply have to do better than some local oik who is in charge of a bunch of farmers, builders and unemployed labourers once a week on a Saturday afternoon. If we go down that road we might as well give up now.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

arcadia wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 22:27 I would sooner have a local manager with experience at the level than a manager you do not know, a lot of the managers can manage with money but not with a small budget. The managers that I have mentioned can manage on small budgets. If you can come up with a manager who lives in the midlands or up north and willing to move down here, that can manage on the budget that Nicholson had then say so. Why are you so obsessed with managers out of Devon we are as good as them. :|
The managers you have mentioned can only manage in the local context in which they exist. Bideford were relegated under Sean Joyce and Martyn Rogers has not done very well anywhere other than Tiverton. At that level it generally is about who you know. Joyce always filled his teams up with ex-Torquay pros and youth players. That isn't going to work at a higher level. The cream of the west country isn't going to work for us as an aspiring Football League club. This parochial way of looking at either ex-Torquay or locally based managers is half the reason we are in this mess.

There are managers like Luke Garrad, managing in this division, who are young, aspirant and working on small budgets, who can prepare his team to tear Torquay apart the other night. The reason we ended up with Kevin Nicholson and not Danny Cowley, is because David Phillips had this small-minded, David Thomas-style way of only being able to think of ex-players or local managers, when a fictitious shortlist is being assembled. Look at the way Chris Todd is being mentioned. Ridiculous.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 23:04 You cannot really lay the blame for Nicholsons dismissal at Harrop's door. As general manager he has clearly reported back to Osborne.

Are you seriously suggesting that Harrop is rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of picking Saturdays team. I would venture to suggest that this is probably nonsense given that Harrop probably has a job at the club that suits him.

As sad as it is that Nicholson has gone its really nobodies fault other than the manager himself. The performances against Gateshead and Boreham Wood have done for him. Its as simple as that.

In fact if Harrop did pick the team it may not be a bad idea. On his only other occasion in charge he came up with an excellent compact formation which was far in advance of the shambles that Nicholson came up with on Tuesday night.

In the circumstances calling him a "Fat Bastard" seems a bit pointless really - its hardly his fault the team has been a laughing stock so far this season.

Arcadia - how on earth can you highlight Joyce or Rogers as credible candidates. Whats the point of having local knowledge if that knowledge amounts to basically Western League standard.

We simply have to do better than some local oik who is in charge of a bunch of farmers, builders and unemployed labourers once a week on a Saturday afternoon. If we go down that road we might as well give up now.
If that's truly your belief then you're a bigger idiot than I already thought you were...............
Dave

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

If we end up appointing Geoff Harrop as manager, we might as well down tools and go and support Argyle. I think that would be the final nail in the coffin for me.

I've not been to Plainmoor in nearly 3 years now, mainly due to visits to Devon timing in with away games, but I've seen a few of the away games close to me.

Turgid football, with tactics which look like they were created on Microsoft Paint. We've had teams which on paper should be hitting mid-table or higher, but tactically we've been poor since Martin Ling left, and he didn't have a plan B. KN is not a manager, he'd be a decent coach or perhaps some sort of ambassadorial role would suit him.

We desperately need a good, experienced manager, who can come in and sort this nonsense out. And that manager is definitely not Geoff 'Tactical Nous of a Shovel' Harrop.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"