Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with brucie; we don't need a bumpkin.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wivelgull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 18:18 [highlight=yellow]I agree with brucie;[/highlight] we don't need a bumpkin.
there's another shock....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is in one sense a surprising decision, and in anther not surprising. I really did think Nicho would have been given more time to sort things out, however those who were not at the match Tuesday should left in no doubt, Clarke and Keating were the only things that stood between our team and an utter butt spanking.

Boreham Wood are by no means the best, or the worst team in this division, I can accept defeat against them, but 'not' in that manner, it was embarrassing. I've said over the last few hours, Nicho had the players at the club now, to have, at least put out a competitive team, well capable of achieving, a mid, to upper mid table finish, Tuesday night suggested we were a long, long way off that, the red flags were going off all over the place Tuesday night for me, after that Nicho was in big trouble.

As for where the club goes next, NO.NO,NO more fork-in ex-players who love the club, please just NO , done with that now, however much I respect both Hargreaves and Nicho for what they'd done for us as players, and how both would go to the ends of the earth for TUFC, both have been disasters, in terms of what they done as managers, that's just the truth.

NO, we don't need Buckle. Leroy or any other ex-manager either. What's needed now, is someone who doesn't love the club, doesn't know anyone down here, someone with a good CV at this level, proven ability to work at a non-league club with little money, someone who will come in and take the playing side of the club by the scruff of the neck, kick some serious behind, and send any player regardless of who it is, down the road if there not going to do for our club.

You don't need money, to put a team out every week, with a good basic defensive shape, capable of playing with some pride and passion, and also basic structure to their team play, no you won't win every week, there will be more defeats, some frustrating, with if we had a team playing with any of the qualities I list, results will follow automatically, and we've not seen any of that for a long time now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ReadinGull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 15:22 It's always the hardest thing. Every club wants the Manager doing badly out, but haven't really got a coherent replacement that ticks all boxes. in truth we want it all, ex-player who has reached the heights as a player, gone through the leagues as a manager so knows how to operate on a budget, good connections for short terms, development skills for the long term. They just don't exist. Good experience is a must I think, just that we have looked badly disjointed in the two I've seen, need strong organisation. Not that we SHOULD have beaten Tranmere, but we SHOULD have been creating more with man then men over. Kev was a nice guy, maybe we need a nasty one!?
We did in Cox, but decided not too pay him
Lucy
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I want to see a manager appointed who will emphasise winning above anything else. If this means a team that cons the useless officials in this league without being found out out then great. If it means a team that uses every trick in the book to get one over the opposition then great. If it means a manager who berates the officials for 90 minutes then great. I don't give a toss about style, winning is all that matters.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

mark yates would fit the bill , good knowledge of the lower leagues, good track record.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Weird one for me this sacking. One the one hand apparently performances over a long period of time have been poor and the results and current league position back that up. In that respect it's not surprising.

What is surprising is that GI have acted pretty swiftly in sacking Nicho who came across as a bloke desperate not to lose his job and therefore you would have thought he would be a kind of 'yes' man to GI and encouraged to stay manager for as long as possible. I guess the time he's had already was already far too long. GI had to act really.

GI basically just need to pass time with the minimum of fuss and cost. Pass as much time as is needed and spend as little as they can get away with until they obtain what they are in club ownership for. The performances of the team over a long period were causing further unrest and so the fuss has been dealt with. Anyone who now thinks a new manager is to be appointed who has something about him and who thinks and acts independently of GI regardless is crackers. Anyone who thinks the new manager is going to be a really strong character on a decent wage and given a serious budget to compete is crackers. Anyone who thinks Torquay can achieve mid table this season or next and so on is crackers.

GI need to kill time, not cause any further unrest and spend as little as possible. A competitive Torquay United side doesn't enter calculations. It only enters calculations if by some miracle, a new manager can come in and somehow turn the playing side around so dramatically that the side end up fighting for promotion. It's possible but not the number one aim for GI and that's the key issue.

Finally. I think it preferable and a proper mark of respect to Nicho if you personally hand write him a letter and put in it your appreciation of him and what he has done for the football club in his career. He deserves that. It's so easy to post a thanks Nicho on here or on twatter and it pretty much means f*ck all. Do the right thing by the bloke and send him a letter. He deserves it. Hargreaves on the other had can go and do one.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 17 Aug 2017, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

lucy6lucy wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 18:45 We did in Cox, but decided not too pay him
Very true
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 19:08 Weird one for me this sacking. One the one hand apparently performances over a long period of time have been poor and the results and current league position back that up. In that respect it's not surprising.

What is surprising is that GI have acted pretty swiftly in sacking Nicho who came across as a bloke desperate not to lose his job and therefore you would have thought he would be a kind of 'yes' man to GI and encouraged to stay manager for as long as possible. I guess the time he's had already was already far too long. GI had to act really.

GI basically just need to pass time with the minimum of fuss and cost. Pass as much time as is needed and spend as little as they can get away with until they obtain what they are in club ownership for. The performances of the team over a long period were causing further unrest and so the fuss has been dealt with. Anyone who now thinks a new manager is to be appointed who has something about him and who thinks and acts independently of GI regardless is crackers. Anyone who thinks the new manager is going to be a really strong character on a decent wage and given a serious budget to compete is crackers. Anyone who thinks Torquay can achieve mid table this season or next and so on is crackers.

GI need to kill time, not cause any further unrest and spend as little as possible. A competitive Torquay United side doesn't enter calculations. It only enters calculations if by some miracle, a new manager can come in and somehow turn the playing side around so dramatically that the side end up fighting for promotion. It's possible but not the number one aim for GI and that's the key issue.

Finally. I think it preferable and a proper mark of respect to Nicho if you personally hand write him a letter and put in it your appreciation of him and what he has done for the football club in his career. He deserves that. It's so easy to post a thanks Nicho on here or on twatter and it pretty much means f*ck all. Do the right thing by the bloke and send him a letter. He deserves it. Hargreaves on the other had can go and do one.
so we are all crackers! Seriously Andy, where are we to send this letter to.
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Whoever it is it must be someone with several years experience in managing a football team
Of the names mentioned, Yates or I would even go for Martin Rogers over people like Todd, Hodges, though
I would like Kevin Hodges, but dont think Rogers would be interested
DuckDuckGull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DuckDuckGull »

I feel we need to go for someone used to working on tighter budgets within the league but have still been successful. I think looking around clubs of a simular level in the South-West area who have been succesful is wise. Maybe the likes of Poole, Hungerford, Chippenham. All promotions on what one would assume are smaller budgets.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

lucy6lucy wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 19:45 so we are all crackers! Seriously Andy, where are we to send this letter to.

Danny isn't crackers. He said (i believe) that it doesn't matter who comes in because it won't make a blind bit of difference or words to that effect. That is also my belief. Most would think ME crackers for predicting something that there is absolutely no way of knowing either way and they'd be right too. All we have to go on are the motives of GI and IMO these don't involve an all out assault on producing a winning and successful football team.

As for the letter ya cheeky mare!! :lol: Good point! I've absolutely no idea where you'd send it now he's gone Luce. :Oops: :rofl:

My point about the ease of social media messaging though still applies. A 'thankyou Nicho' can be rattled off in seconds on twatter and then forgotten about. I just think he deserves more contemplation for just what he's given the football club over the course of his career.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

On the Aldershot thread I posted on Page7 on 9 August at 10.26am "If after 8 games Nicho does not get his team selection and tactics right,I think Clarke Osborne will be ruthless with his decision making and Nicho will be out"

Unfortunately for Nicho the performances at Gateshead and the manner of the Boreham Wood defeat has resulted in Mr Osborne doing exactly what I was expecting only sooner.

Nicho has a lot of good qualities and I am very sad for him.

However we are about to witness in the next 14/21 days a huge decision by Gaming International which will prove beyond doubt whether they are competent and professional or a bunch of egotistical fools pretending to be running a professional Football Club.

The Jury is out.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

portugull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 20:52 On the Aldershot thread I posted on Page7 on 9 August at 10.26am "If after 8 games Nicho does not get his team selection and tactics right,I think Clarke Osborne will be ruthless with his decision making and Nicho will be out"

Unfortunately for Nicho the performances at Gateshead and the manner of the Boreham Wood defeat has resulted in Mr Osborne doing exactly what I was expecting only sooner.

Nicho has a lot of good qualities and I am very sad for him.

[highlight=yellow]However we are about to witness in the next 14/21 days a huge decision by Gaming International which will prove beyond doubt whether they are competent and professional or a bunch of egotistical fools pretending to be running a professional Football Club.[/highlight]

The Jury is out.
ive already said this on this thread earlier portugull about GI's intentions.
I personally would prefer someone with experience of this league.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Due to a lack of the right recruitment in a way Nicho put us in this position and then saved us at the end of last season. We have to know if any players are on two year contracts as stated if so a new manager is going to have his hands tied. From what I have seen this season we need a striker as Fallon
was a bad signing, a wide player and a fullback. This would be the cheap way out, if Jordan Lee comes back and I do hope his problem is not serious he would be an added bonus as he hurts the opposition and you need those players. Gowling could be a key player to get us out of this mess.