Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

If Nico is to leave he should step down to coach or AM to gain more experience. Then get a proven manager at this level.

Get Paul Buckle back
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

nickbrod wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:26 Take out "half" and you're left with "a bottom Conference side".

I forgot that the season ends after four games. The biggest problem with everyone's reactions is that they obviously thought we'd do better than we have done, which was foolish. We are bottom of the league in August and that is disappointing, however, I was only expecting us to be around 20th and within a few weeks I believe we will be and fighting to be comfortably above the relegation zone.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:24 As I've said elsewhere and many times, brand new teams every season with the same budget will never improve the position that the club is in. We have to get used to this; we are a bottom half Conference side that will struggle and a good season is not fighting for relegation.
Teams with a smaller budget DO perform better than us though! The budget is the budget and if Nicho can't use it to build a team capable of midtable then it's time to hand over to somebody who can or at least have a go.

That team should have enough to hold onto a 2-2 but for yet another season we still don't have the game management to close the game back down.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

Has Sean Joyce ever expressed an interest in managing Torquay, or lack of interest. He has 19 year managerial experience with Bideford and has finished top 6 times, with two promotions.

Joyce with Nicholson as an assistant?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Danny - Seriously did you go last night?. Saying that "the season doesn't end after four games" is just a blindingly ridiculous thing to say really.

We shouldn't EVER have to get used to being humiliated by the likes of Boreham Wood. There isn't any problem with anyones reaction. You just need to be realistic.

Despite being completely outplayed last night and shooting ourselves in the foot time and time again we somehow managed to get back in the game. The plain fact is that we were still not good enough to survive being hammered.

Solihull Moors have recruited a team of players from lower leagues than the one we are in. Even they are higher up the league than we are.

How on earth are we going to above the relegation zone with our current defence? Do you think we are going to win a game with the abysmal Chaney at left back?. It isn't going to happen,. He is a total liability and every other team knows it.

How much more embarrassment will it take for the penny to drop. The team is a complete and utter shambles.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

DevonYellow wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:41 Teams with a smaller budget DO perform better than us though! The budget is the budget and if Nicho can't use it to build a team capable of midtable then it's time to hand over to somebody who can or at least have a go.

That team should have enough to hold onto a 2-2 but for yet another season we still don't have the game management to close the game back down.

Can you tell me the budget Nicho is working with v other sides in the division?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:24 As I've said elsewhere and many times, brand new teams every season with the same budget will never improve the position that the club is in. We have to get used to this; we are a bottom half Conference side that will struggle and a good season is not fighting for relegation.
Jesus wept!

A good season is not fighting for relegation?

With such lofty expectations it's no wonder the club is going down the pan.

All this talk of our supposedly small budget is nonsense. If teams couldn't out perform their budget then there would be no point in playing the games - just get each club to submit their budget and sort the league positions from that.

Huddersfield and Rotherham had the same budget last season - one is now in the Premier League whilst the other is in League One. The difference? One of the managers knew how to work with what he was given.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I dont come on here much now as well, almost lost complete interest, but still a bit to have a look from time to time.

My views are also well known, I will not support GI, and that is what it is folks. You don't like it as many of you it's a habit you've had for years, like me but I'm finding new interests that are actually more enjoyable than watching a team that lets face it has no ambition at all.

The professionalism of the club has always been in question, but we sort of put up with it for years while we were a league club, well I did anyway.

The club is dying and GI don't give a t😀ss!

It's the 5 year plan folks!

I will attend a few away games near me out of habit but that's it.

Bring the whole thing to a head. If that means Phoenix club so be it because this state of affairs is too painful.
TUST MEMBER
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 12:57
Can you tell me the budget Nicho is working with v other sides in the division?
You've totally missed the point.

As I've said the budget is the budget. It is up to him distribute it around the team as he sees fit. If he can't make it work then let somebody else have a go.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

As I told the two guys from Boreham Wood in the Directors' Box behind me at the final whistle, "you've been watching the slow death of a once proud football club".
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

I agree, that is what hurts me most, I love this club and supporting my local team is very important to me. Like the behind the scenes GI activity that concerns me, equally so does the on the pitch activity, regardless of all the excuses (some other managers have similar restraints) I just do not see why Nicholson has such a fan club full of endorsement. WTF has he done to earn that endorsement... I do not need a lecture around his playing credentials... nor do I need reminding about the past two seasons. Remember other clubs struggle, so do their managers, some cut it, some do not!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

DevonYellow wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 13:35 You've totally missed the point.

As I've said the budget is the budget. It is up to him distribute it around the team as he sees fit. If he can't make it work then let somebody else have a go.
:goodpost: GREAT post.

Forget the budget excuses, its a well known fact that TUFC do not have the smallest budget in the league. Nicholson's player judgement is so hit and miss, the budget gets lost oh so quickly.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Remember going to the Bromley game just after Cox had left and the team that day was a disgrace to our name. The individuals representing us were about southern prem standard at best and the lack of heart, desire and quality was a total embarrassment. I thought at the end it's all going to kick off now....people were joking about how bad it's got, there were a few boos but nothing really and some even stayed behind to clap them off. Admirable you might think? I stood in silence, disbelief more than anything at two things, a) the total joke of a match i'd witnessed but more importantly b) how everyone had stopped caring and how there were no standards at this club anymore. Nothing has changed. The last 2 years we've stopped just sort of an open top bus parade for surviving on the last day in this pitiful division. Sums the club up.

since that day we've not only lost home games to part time sides regularly, we were humiliated 3-0 at Basingstoke who hadn't won a game all season in the NLS they ended up getting relegated from it, we've lost home games to Sutton who had a defender in goal for 80 minutes, lose regularly to the likes of Guiseley and North Ferriby and that's back to back wins for Boreham over us at Plainmoor. We've lost to clubs with 10 men, we lose all the time. Nothing is ever done about it. At what point do we think it's not good enough? It used to be struggling in League 2, we can't win games in a part time league anymore.

Still there's no reaction. Blackpool fans don't go to Bloomfield road anymore because they didn't invest in the side and their owners a bit of a div, even promotion last year didn't bring them back, the reality is League 1 (3rd tier) is Blackpool's level. There are other examples, you see a side lose heavily at home you expect repercussions especially against such weak opposition. it should be a stain and a disgrace for our club to lose at home to any side of that ilk, I and we shouldn't expect to win every game nor are we Barcelona but for us to be so uncompetitive consistently against such crap seems SHOULD be unacceptable, but there is an acceptance of failure and no one cares enough about Torquay and I include fans in that. Nicho and this board should be run out of town after a performance and result like last night, don't reckon Orient fans will be so accepting of their debacle last night.

I struggle to maintain interest much anymore, went to Aldershot last minute but that will be my only appearance at a TUFC game this season thought our lads played ok but are limited but I've felt this way about the attitude within the club. Until that changes and with this board it has to come from the supporters then this club will always fail.
Last edited by royalgull on 16 Aug 2017, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

I worry for the sanity and health of Kevin Nicolson and of course his family,how after two and a half seasons of total disorder and abismal results can this guy have a normal life,he is on the way to a breakdown of our former managers magnitude,for his own sake and that of his family he should either walk away or get help from an expierenced manager to take the heat away from him,but of course ego is a ery dangerous condition.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

arrywithanh wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 14:15 :goodpost: GREAT post.

Forget the budget excuses, its a well known fact that TUFC do not have the smallest budget in the league. Nicholson's player judgement is so hit and miss, the budget gets lost oh so quickly.

Nope. You both don't know any facts or figures and just using this as your main argument. You cannot compare the budget that TUFC needs to the likes of the teams based in London and up North. Our location is totally off putting and therefore we need to generate money that comes close to Buckle's under Rowe/Boyce's. So, yes, we may have a larger budget than last season and yes, we may have a bigger budget than other clubs, but it still does not compare because there are many variables to consider.