Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Coxiboi213 wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 20:30 I think it time he goes as we need some one new to take the club forward and can sign a lot more player who can play and better formation
Who the hell are you the fairy godmother.
Lucy
AlsagerGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by AlsagerGull »

It is not three games it is three seasons and another point is that from the exact same three fixtures last season we did not lose a game and most importantly competed in all games, something we haven't done yet. The frustration for me is the ongoing mentality at the club that despite being one of the biggest clubs in the league we are happy to struggle game in game out, season in and season out. I like KN he is Torquay through and through, and for those who comment that we should not get so upset about a 'game of football' although it is difficult to argue this point if considering other priorities in your life, but it's in your blood you come to love the club and everything about and ultimately you care for it day in and day out, and every time 5:00 pm/9:45pm comes along and we have had another poor performance it hurts. Yes it would be so much easier to flick a switch and subdue ones feelings but it just isn't as simple as that. Football is not just a game it becomes a way of life, whether that is right or wrong is another debate I guess.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 19:26 This is the thing, when the fixtures were released many on here said, the team could not have been handed a harder start, most agreed these opening games were going to be as tough as they come, and the results would be fairly irrelevant to a point. Now our worse fears for the opening three games have been realised and the forum is in meltdown, the knifes out for the manager.

I don't need to write paragraph's explaining my own views on the job KN has done as TUFC manger, it's no secret that despite having some sympathy for the conditions KN has had to work under, I am not his biggest fan, in terms of his management, but to suggest his removal after three games is nonsense.

10-15 games is of course the right time to judge the relevant capabilities of any squad, at any club, at any level, not just TUFC, and from our own clubs point of view 6 players hardly constitutes carrying forward last season squad, it is a 'new' squad, they will need some time to settle. If our results and performances continue to spiral downwards at this point of the season, then the clubs owners will have no choice but to act, and should it come to that, please no more club legends, and no romantic calls for ex-managers who've done well for us in the past, it's often said in football ' never go back' there's a reason for that, in most cases, but not all, a second spell never follows in terms of success gained in the first.

I'd personally like to see KN survive as our manager, because that would mean, results are good and the teams at the right end of the league, that's what we all want, isn't it? but should things not work out, then new blood, someone who doesn't love the club, a new broom sweeps clean, as said in an above post.
That is a GREAT post, Forever. Concise, common sense logic. I defy anyone to pick any holes in it. :clap:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 17:24 Actually I agree with your views about the manager. I think he was a good servant to the club as a player at our level, he is a decent man with the interests of the club at heart, but he should never have been given this job as his first managerial appointment and he has had long enough now so he is not going to get on top of it. We won't miraculously get more points in the last 10 games than in the previous 36 again, so relegation will follow if we continue without changes.

I have voiced that opinion on 3 different forums at different times. I have never had posts deleted or been banned. I have had sensible responses in posts from other genuine supporters who have put the alternative point of view, but never in an aggressive or threatening way.

Although I am sure you don't mean to you come over in several posts as a horrible man. I have no idea who you are so have no idea what you are like. That is the perception though, so it may be it is that that people have a go at....rather than your view that the manager should be replaced, which is actually a view shared by a good number of supporters.

There are though views on both sides. I listen to them, and I am certainly very pleased that I will never be in a position that I have to make the actual decision.

Those are my thoughts....though I note that I may be too late in putting forward thoughts to you as you may have deleted your account before I press submit. Bugger! What a waste of effort! ;-)
Yes - bad news SuperNW. He's reinvented himself yet again, albeit with a more appropriate handle this time. So you are not too late, Stefano. You are spot on with your reasoning although I think you're a tad harsh calling him a 'horrible man'. I would describe his posts as misguided. You, and others, have your own views regarding Nicho's managerial qualities, or lack of them, and you state why you hold such views. That's fine. The difference is - Arry is like a crusty old witch sticking pins in a doll just for the sake of it without giving any reasons why he is so vehemently opposed to Nicho. Your opinion may be right - my opinion may be right. We don't know. But Kev has to take TUFC further up the league this season and I'm sure that he knows that only too well. I feel tomorrow night's game will set a bit of a marker.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Stefano is right, he is a horrible oik. If you knew who he is the agenda would be clear...... I
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 21:25
Stefano. You are spot on with your reasoning although I think you're a tad harsh calling him a 'horrible man'.
My apologies tommo although I didn't actually say he was, I said that was the way he came over in posting. Vitriolic may have been a better word.

In respect of Mr Nicholson, I did feel it was an awful job for a new manager to have as his first managerial appointment. He is a very pleasant man and his contribution to the club as a player was certainly valued. He is hamstrung with resources, and I do not think he is able to manage well with what he has got. The same mistakes do seem to re-occur.

As for calls for him to go after 3 games this season, I do think it is too early. Having made the decision that he would start the season, he should at least be given the chance to show that with what is definitely now his team he is able to achieve a significant improvement in the performances of the last two season.

The problem is how long that should be. If at Christmas we are again out of all the cups and bobbing around in the bottom 4 I know some will be calling for him to be given longer. Nothing would please me more than to see us at Christmas 7th to 10th in the league and still in the FA Cup (bugger the Trophy distraction!), in which case I would be calling for Mr Nicholson to be knighted. Isn't going to happen though is it? Although in sport fans are allowed to dream!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

stefano wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 17:24 Actually I agree with your views about the manager. I think he was a good servant to the club as a player at our level, he is a decent man with the interests of the club at heart, but he should never have been given this job as his first managerial appointment and he has had long enough now so he is not going to get on top of it. We won't miraculously get more points in the last 10 games than in the previous 36 again, so relegation will follow if we continue without changes.

I have voiced that opinion on 3 different forums at different times. I have never had posts deleted or been banned. I have had sensible responses in posts from other genuine supporters who have put the alternative point of view, but never in an aggressive or threatening way.

Although I am sure you don't mean to you come over in several posts as a horrible man. I have no idea who you are so have no idea what you are like. That is the perception though, so it may be it is that that people have a go at....rather than your view that the manager should be replaced, which is actually a view shared by a good number of supporters.

There are though views on both sides. I listen to them, and I am certainly very pleased that I will never be in a position that I have to make the actual decision.

Those are my thoughts....though I note that I may be too late in putting forward thoughts to you as you may have deleted your account before I press submit. Bugger! What a waste of effort! ;-)
:goodpost: and thanks
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

stefano wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 09:36 My apologies tommo although I didn't actually say he was, I said that was the way he came over in posting. Vitriolic may have been a better word.

In respect of Mr Nicholson, I did feel it was an awful job for a new manager to have as his first managerial appointment. He is a very pleasant man and his contribution to the club as a player was certainly valued. He is hamstrung with resources, and I do not think he is able to manage well with what he has got. The same mistakes do seem to re-occur.

As for calls for him to go after 3 games this season, I do think it is too early. Having made the decision that he would start the season, he should at least be given the chance to show that with what is definitely now his team he is able to achieve a significant improvement in the performances of the last two season.

The problem is how long that should be. If at Christmas we are again out of all the cups and bobbing around in the bottom 4 I know some will be calling for him to be given longer. Nothing would please me more than to see us at Christmas 7th to 10th in the league and still in the FA Cup (bugger the Trophy distraction!), in which case I would be calling for Mr Nicholson to be knighted. Isn't going to happen though is it? Although in sport fans are allowed to dream!
Big enough and ugly enough to take it on the chin....

Back to the football... I think it may also be a tad too soon to judge, I am feeling negative about the football at the moment and perhaps my thread should have waited until after the game tonight.

Do you think if we lose tonight then he should go?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

You started this tread after 3 games, are you really going to keep this up after every game suggesting KN to be sacked. Give it 10 games and make your judgement then.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

arrywithanh wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 09:41 Big enough and ugly enough to take it on the chin....

Back to the football... I think it may also be a tad too soon to judge, I am feeling negative about the football at the moment and perhaps my thread should have waited until after the game tonight.

Do you think if we lose tonight then he should go?

Still here?

You literally started a thread "SACK NICHOLSON" three games into the season and now you say it's "a tad too soon to judge."

:zzz:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 10:03
Still here?

You literally started a thread "SACK NICHOLSON" three games into the season and now you say it's "a tad too soon to judge."

come on Danny, you know he can change his view/mind like the weather.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 10:03
Still here?

Wow - not sure that response was necessary. I don't regret starting the thread, I merely stated I accept it was only after 3 games, everyone is allowed to reflect and absorb others comments, then respond.

Enjoy game tonight.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Blimey! He's not that monster ferrarilover is he?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am going tonight so I will give you my objective opinion when I get back. Whether you back Nicholson or want him sacked this wait for 10 or 15 games is nonsense.

We have Boreham Wood, Guiseley and Solihull in our next three games. We can't make anymore excuses about "hard games". We need to be picking up points and quickly. The latter two teams are more or less relegation certainties. We need six points minimum from these three games.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

brucie wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 12:36 I am going tonight so I will give you my objective opinion when I get back. Whether you back Nicholson or want him sacked this wait for 10 or 15 games is nonsense.

We have Boreham Wood, Guiseley and Solihull in our next three games. We can't make anymore excuses about "hard games". We need to be picking up points and quickly. The latter two teams are more or less relegation certainties. We need six points minimum from these three games.
Completely in agreement with this.

It's not belittling these clubs to say we need to be beating them - given that two of the 3 finished above us last season we need to be beating them to have any chance of doing better than last season. We aren't going to be challenging the top 7, but in order to be comfortable in mid-table - which I think most of us would gladly take - we do need to be getting a good points haul from these games.

Tranmere and Aldershot we expected nothing from, so the opening day draw was a bonus and on another day a different set of circumstances see us smash and grab a point from Aldershot. The Gateshead performance/result is the worry as Gateshead don't look that strong on paper - we should be giving them more a game than that meek offering