Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Reading all the posts in reality boils down to one outcome. The new managerial appointment is make or break for the club. If ever we need an outsider appointment this is the right time.
Lucy
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Always look on the bright side of life.
5 games gone and were only 8 points off a Play Off spot! ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm neither naive nor too complacent to understand that the beleagured manager was given a budget and told that he needed to achieve a mid-table finish. That alone would tell any understanding person that GI don't give a shit and just want to hoodwink fans into believing in their "vision" for the club.

Whilst everyone could see the start wasn't good there were mitigating circumstances that only the most blinkered continue to gloss over during the witch-hunt. All that is now water under the bridge as they've made their decision to part company with the Manager. All we need now is a messiah to come in, set up a simple coaching plan and we have a team of world beaters that will piss their way up the league without having Nasty Nico getting in their way.

Insinuations he lost the dressing room are absolute bollocks, he had a squad that when fully fit would have finished mid-table and this is my point on the whole sorry saga. Why do GI want a mid-table finish? Because it keeps us all thinking life under them ain't so bad. Let's see if they invest in an experienced management team or just another "cheap option". Hungerford have a very good budget for their level, do we honestly believe GI will provide anyone with that? I don't.

Time to move on now and wait for the inevitable to happen.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 09:16 I'm neither naive nor too complacent to understand that the beleagured manager was given a budget and told that he needed to achieve a mid-table finish. That alone would tell any understanding person that GI don't give a shit and just want to hoodwink fans into believing in their "vision" for the club. Why do GI want a mid-table finish? Because it keeps us all thinking life under them ain't so bad. Let's see if they invest in an experienced management team or just another "cheap option".
I'm with you all the way on that Dave; but this squad is a million miles away from even a mid-table finish and so the man responsible ~ whether it be Internet provision, greyhound racing or property development ~ pays the price within the structure of one of Osborne's enterprises. Osborne will not be selecting the next manager, he will charge Harrop to do that and if he in turn fails to deliver as Nicholson was doing then he too will be toast eventually.

Neither hoodwinked nor believing any Osborne claims as regards football; there's no-one could be more long term aware of Gaming International's reasons for engineering their 'ownership' of Torquay United than I; I've been at it long enough. An ownership that puts the club precisely where so many others currently are and have been in the past....in the clutches of a property developer who will show his true colours in due time.

I once uncovered the words of Bill Glass ~ one of his co directors in the Gaming International empire ~ when talking about the still undelivered Swindon speedway and greyhound project; "we endeavour to keep these sporting projects running as long as possible" which in the context of what happened at Milton Keynes and Reading indicates that sport takes second place to the realisation of the development value of the footprint. I first became aware of Glass when he was the racing manager of Hackney Wick dog track........you won't find 'The Wick' anywhere now but underneath the London Olympic Park. Gone to development and never replaced!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 09:16Why do GI want a mid-table finish?
Not wishing to divert attention from your correct assertion Dave; there is also the not by any means small matter that (as it stands at present) the club is just not sufficiently structured to contemplate being in the EFL. That restructuring has to take place and that takes time.

I don't doubt that your past involvement with Eastleigh gives you an insight into organic growth from within and my familiarity with certain clubs local to me show me that 'Rome cannot be built in a day'.

The club has fallen a long way thanks to previous mis-management and direction and there are the very real examples of York City and Stockport County who have fallen even further despite having more potential and infrastructure than Torquay United.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

I have been disappointed but not surprised at some of the vitriol and bile directed at Nicho.
I have never managed a football team at any level but prior to retirement I spent 30+ years managing people. When I was 33 I upped sticks from Torbay, moved 200 miles and took on a job managing a department of 50+ people. I was young, enthusiastic and keen to succeed. I was also stubborn, pig headed and my immediate boss was generally disinterested in his job and gave me minimal help and guidance. With the benefit of hindsight I would have done a lot of things differently and whilst I wasn't sacked I am sure that if I had been in the public eye as football managers are, there would have been plenty of criticism of my performance.
I have a lot of sympathy for Nicho because I have been there in my working life. Like him I always looked to develop people who worked for me and that is one of the most satisfying aspects of people manager. In his two years as manager he has helped a number of players improve themselves most notably perhaps Angus MacDonald who changed from a petulant child on the pitch to a seasoned pro in half a season.
Whatever Nicho decides to do and his life skills fit him for many roles I hope that it works for him. If he remains in football management I hope that he finds a club that really appreciates his enthusiasm and effort and that there is someone in the Boardroom or on the Coaching staff who can mentor him and challenge him when needed. Go for it Nicho!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jack wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 11:11 I have been disappointed but not surprised at some of the vitriol and bile directed at Nicho.
I have never managed a football team at any level but prior to retirement I spent 30+ years managing people. When I was 33 I upped sticks from Torbay, moved 200 miles and took on a job managing a department of 50+ people. I was young, enthusiastic and keen to succeed. I was also stubborn, pig headed and my immediate boss was generally disinterested in his job and gave me minimal help and guidance. With the benefit of hindsight I would have done a lot of things differently and whilst I wasn't sacked I am sure that if I had been in the public eye as football managers are, there would have been plenty of criticism of my performance.
I have a lot of sympathy for Nicho because I have been there in my working life. Like him I always looked to develop people who worked for me and that is one of the most satisfying aspects of people manager. In his two years as manager he has helped a number of players improve themselves most notably perhaps Angus MacDonald who changed from a petulant child on the pitch to a seasoned pro in half a season.
Whatever Nicho decides to do and his life skills fit him for many roles I hope that it works for him. If he remains in football management I hope that he finds a club that really appreciates his enthusiasm and effort and that there is someone in the Boardroom or on the Coaching staff who can mentor him and challenge him when needed. Go for it Nicho!
Very good post, Jack.

I have been involved with the security industry for over 30 years and now actively work as Head Supervisor/Response for a fairly large company where my role is now combined with nurturing staff that are so far removed from the world I've endured that it's almost a totally thankless task trying to advise, protect and manage. If just a few turn out to have a good career then I will consider myself a success, you can't polish a turd and unfortunately Kevin through lack of budget has often been asked to do just that. He had his hands tied for so long that I feel he was never dealt a fair hand and was working for people that couldn't give a toss about him or his players, just how they the owners are perceived. He wasn't ready or willing to be their yes man and has paid the price.

We could all argue forever about whether he was good bad or indifferent but we've now had a succession of managers come and go with little or no success. I hope others are right and I am wrong but I don't think it matters who comes in, we're fcuked anyway.

Merse, not enough time right now for a detailed reply but I will come back to you at some point.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Jack wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 11:11 I have been disappointed but not surprised at some of the vitriol and bile directed at Nicho.
I haven't seen much vitriol and bile, just about 50% of people saying that Nicho should have gone and it was the right decision. Hell most of those comments were prefaced with the fact that Nicho is a great guy and has done great work in the community. Hargreaves got and continues to get a much rougher ride from the fans and there's no Chris Crocker types telling people to leave him alone. Lets us remember as well that Hargreaves was practically a god amongst the fans before his managerial spell - there was no taint like there is with Mansell or controversy like with Nicho/Knill.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 11:39 He wasn't ready or willing to be their yes man and has paid the price.
In what way?

I guess you can't go into specifics but what kind of general things were they asking of him that he wasn't prepared to do?
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

SenorDingDong wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 11:39 I haven't seen much vitriol and bile, just about 50% of people saying that Nicho should have gone and it was the right decision.
You should realise that to a happy clapper anything short of sycophancy is 'vitriol and bile'; the very simple FACT of the team on the pitch being at the wrong end of the table ~ indeed one point from fifteen is the current predicament ~ and of having signed players not physically able to even start the season is totally lost on the.........in the real world such things do get managers sacked.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 12:19 You should realise that to a happy clapper anything short of sycophancy is 'vitriol and bile'; the very simple FACT of the team on the pitch being at the wrong end of the table ~ indeed one point from fifteen is the current predicament ~ and of having signed players not physically able to even start the season is totally lost on the.........in the real world such things do get managers sacked.
:goodpost:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

kevgull wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 08:49 Always look on the bright side of life.
5 games gone and were only 8 points off a Play Off spot! ;-)
:goodpost: well done - this really put things into perspective - all is not lost yet!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Very good post Jack. I'm with you all the way. I've noticed that you've been missing on here for a little while. As your posts are normally reasoned and well thought through, it's good to see you back. :-D
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

tomogull wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 19:12 Very good post Jack. I'm with you all the way. I've noticed that you've been missing on here for a little while. As your posts are normally reasoned and well thought through, it's good to see you back. :-D
Thank you for that Tomogull. I view the Forum fairly regularly but rarely feel inspired to contribute. Whilst i didn't really follow some of the Nicholson decisions like the loan signings who rarely played or the bizarre team selections during this pre season l was trying to put his management performance into the context of managing during a very unstable time with little help or guidance from anyone. If I was an aspiring manager I would be very wary of joining our club at the present time because as wel as the uncertainty surrounding our future we have also got the location problem as well. I see that on another thread the boy Wilkinson is being put forward as a possible recruit. He seems to have enjoyed a good steady long term relationship with his Chairman which has no doubt been a big factor in the success he has had. I don't think that would happen at Plainmoor with the current regime.