Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I wish you would say what you think Merse instead of sitting on the fence
but can we please now stop slagging off Nicholson and move on , he's gone and it will soon be time to
start slagging off the new manager
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Agree in most with what Merse says, also agree we need to let Nicholson go, only in the sense that we need to place our attentions towards GI and the appointment of the new manager. I am hoping to be shocked as to who they appoint, not one of the predictable 'close links with TUFC' names already mentioned. Cards really will be on the table GI!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm glad you "enjoyed" the game on Tuesday. I'm glad I went. It was a nice night. I wouldn't have believed how truly shocking we could be unless I had seen it with my own eyes.

I do hope that we get someone like Yates in because he won't accept the kind of "effort" that half the team put in. I can't actually fathom whether Tuesday was the result of a tactically inept manager (playing a dreadfully narrow midfield and frontline which invited BW to attack our weak link in Chaney at every opportunity) or a bunch of completely useless players.

Or perhaps it was a mixture of both. Take as an example Lathrope. A pathetic excuse for a performance that was if ever I saw one. He's basically had one good season sitting in front of a very good defence with the likes of Mark Ellis and co but other than that he offers the sum total of nothing really.

When you compare him with effective midfielders like Josh Rees or Raachi you can see that Nicholson hasn't signed the right type of players.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I'm on record in the summer posting that on paper the new players look to be better than those let go but having seen two pre-season friendlies and three league matches that's where they should stay - on paper. Except Ryan Clarke.
I agree that the new manager should take no prisoners for he'll need to use all his man management skills to sort this lot out and even start cancelling contracts - Davis?
I'm also keen to know his assessment of the players' fitness levels.
I hope the potential new boss is sitting in the stands this afternoon. If I had a choice I'd be in touch with Garry Hill ex-Woking.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 10:58 Look; it's not rocket science and whilst Nicholson gets all the plaudits for his acknowledged passion for the club and the community the position of manager is much more than that and indeed totally irrelevant to that....less time with the community and development project and more time on the road watching players and games!

It’s up to the players to stand up and be counted; all of the time and throughout every match and it's up to the manager to recruit accordingly. In my opinion and observation he has never done that; indeed he has actively avoided and removed those sort of characters from his squads and hence you get what you saw on Tuesday night. One goal conceded and they drain away like bathwater down a plughole; no leaders, no characters and soft great lumps like Fallon coming on and without any effect whatsoever.

Nice guy and maybe sold an ice cream or two to the manager's kids but not a fit for purpose leader out there on the pitch. Did you see his pathetic non effort to win a high ball down the middle from Clarke that led to the fourth goal? He didn't want to know, making a token effort more akin to protecting his ridiculous man bun than getting his head on the ball.

There is always pressure to compete for every ball in this league and Nicholson just does not produce teams like that ; he's had two years to do it and does not. Who will do that if the manager doesn't insist on it? All we can do is respect all of our opponents, prepare properly and see where it takes us; but I get the impression they're all living on this 'Plainmoor is superior' sort of attitude and take it onto the pitch with the dire consequences of being out fought, out thought and 'out desired'.......a toxic mix in a club and it has been around like a cancer for around five years now. It was bound to end like this as soon as people like Harrop, Hedges and Adie Britton started analysing things for Osborne.

Nicholson was self confessed lucky to survive this long and just repeated his errors in the summer with the results we have seen now.

Too much confusion with being a nice guy than an effective manager down that way for my liking. People had no idea what Frank O'Farrell could be like, Bruce Rioch neither and Cyril Knowles after them. When Alan Knill came in to do a job people like Nicholson and Mansell didn't like it and the public get this message that because a manager can be a bastard to failing players he's some sort of pariah. Well get Gary Hill or Mark Yates in and see the sparks fly because they need to.

Torquay United does not need a manager who sells Torquay as a great place to live and bring up your kids. They need a hard nosed bastard who will demand; and either get results or get rid of those who do not deliver them. It is not a retirement home for the likes of Gowling and Davies to come and fill out their sick notes, Fallon to engage in World Cup fantasies or Anderson to continue to con everyone that he is a footballer.
:goodpost: :)

Too much emphasis seemed to be placed on Nico's work in the community and efforts in driving the team bus. A decent manager needs to get on his bike and rack up the miles scouting players.

The club has got a "lovely feel" about it and other teams come down knowing they can get a result. As Merse has said, we've got no leaders. Nobody with the balls to tell someone they're playing shit and need to buck their ideas up.

For the record, Nico won't be a success elsewhere as a manager either. He's not tough enough.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Burnhamgull wrote:
For the record, Nico won't be a success elsewhere as a manager either. He's not tough enough.
Completely agree. Cannot believe there are posters who think he will attract interest from clubs at a higher level, and be successful.

In my opinion he should consider himself lucky in the extreme to find another job as a manager in any league from NL South/North downwards.
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

SBP wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 11:29 Cant really disagree with any of that, just get somebody in and get this club moving forwards
Pretty well sums it all up. Any Manager that signs Rory Fallon must surely be questioned - even at Truro he was ridiculed by the home supporters.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 10:58

Look; it's not rocket science and whilst Nicholson gets all the plaudits for his acknowledged passion for the club and the community the position of manager is much more than that and indeed totally irrelevant to that....less time with the community and development project and more time on the road watching players and games!

It’s up to the players to stand up and be counted; all of the time and throughout every match and it's up to the manager to recruit accordingly. In my opinion and observation he has never done that; indeed he has actively avoided and removed those sort of characters from his squads and hence you get what you saw on Tuesday night. One goal conceded and they drain away like bathwater down a plughole; no leaders, no characters and soft great lumps like Fallon coming on and without any effect whatsoever.

Nice guy and maybe sold an ice cream or two to the manager's kids but not a fit for purpose leader out there on the pitch. Did you see his pathetic non effort to win a high ball down the middle from Clarke that led to the fourth goal? He didn't want to know, making a token effort more akin to protecting his ridiculous man bun than getting his head on the ball.

There is always pressure to compete for every ball in this league and Nicholson just does not produce teams like that ; he's had two years to do it and does not. Who will do that if the manager doesn't insist on it? All we can do is respect all of our opponents, prepare properly and see where it takes us; but I get the impression they're all living on this 'Plainmoor is superior' sort of attitude and take it onto the pitch with the dire consequences of being out fought, out thought and 'out desired'.......a toxic mix in a club and it has been around like a cancer for around five years now. It was bound to end like this as soon as people like Harrop, Hedges and Adie Britton started analysing things for Osborne.

Nicholson was self confessed lucky to survive this long and just repeated his errors in the summer with the results we have seen now.

Too much confusion with being a nice guy than an effective manager down that way for my liking. People had no idea what Frank O'Farrell could be like, Bruce Rioch neither and Cyril Knowles after them. When Alan Knill came in to do a job people like Nicholson and Mansell didn't like it and the public get this message that because a manager can be a bastard to failing players he's some sort of pariah. Well get Gary Hill or Mark Yates in and see the sparks fly because they need to.

Torquay United does not need a manager who sells Torquay as a great place to live and bring up your kids. They need a hard nosed bastard who will demand; and either get results or get rid of those who do not deliver them. It is not a retirement home for the likes of Gowling and Davies to come and fill out their sick notes, Fallon to engage in World Cup fantasies or Anderson to continue to con everyone that he is a footballer.
:goodpost: Agree with pretty much, most of that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 21:59 Oops! Lucyx2 will be slagging us off for going off topic in a minute !! :)
Barring we are forgetting whether we agree or disagree our manager who actually cared for the club is sacked. That is the disappointment. [/quote]

I'm with you on that, Lucyx2. Probably all to be said has been said, although Merse has since added his two-pennorth worth. I think the consensus is that there is a genuine sorrow that it has come to this because Nicho is a good, honest guy who has worked his socks off to keep us from slipping out of the National League whilst the club continues to be an utter mess off the pitch. Some fans overlook the fact that the club came perilously close to going into administration last season. I wonder how much support he has had from Geoff Harrop? Bugger all, I suspect. Jordan Lee's possible heart problem was a cruel blow. It robbed Nico of a strong right-wing option. I thought he would be given a few more games to show he could turn things around but after last Tuesday night, he must have realised the writing was on the wall.

The performance against Gateshead last week was unacceptable and last Tuesday night was dreadful, and that's being generous. As the players trooped off at half time, a mate who I stand with said "There are players out there who could well get Nicholson the sack". He didn't think his prediction would come true so quickly. There are half-a-dozen players who should be ashamed at their performances. But not only that - the balance of the side wasn't right. I take notice of fair-minded posters who post with some coaching knowledge, whatever level. Almost to a man, they have highlighted Nicho's technical know-how failings and I think that is what has ultimately led to his downfall. That, and his failure to sign a decent striker to partner Ruari Keating.

I tell you what really disgusts me. As far as I know, there has been no acknowledgement from the club of Nicho's efforts over the past two years. Not even the usual insincere words when a manager loses his job - you know the sort of thing; "We thank (name of sacked manager) for what he has done for the club and wish him well for the future". That's a disgrace. Football management is a cruel world as Kev would well know before he entered it. I'm sure every fair minded fan would wish him and his family good luck for the future, wherever that future takes them.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Why sorrow? We cant keep losing (currently winning 2-1), keep fighting relegation... Get over it. Your legend has gone!
AlsagerGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by AlsagerGull »

Lost again, how cruel can this situation get???
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

tomogull wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 16:34

I tell you what really disgusts me. As far as I know, there has been no acknowledgement from the club of Nicho's efforts over the past two years. Not even the usual insincere words when a manager loses his job - you know the sort of thing; "We thank (name of sacked manager) for what he has done for the club and wish him well for the future". That's a disgrace. Football management is a cruel world as Kev would well know before he entered it. I'm sure every fair minded fan would wish him and his family good luck for the future, wherever that future takes them.
It said on the OS item announcing his dismissal

"As a football club, we would like to thank Kevin for all his hard work as a manager and player for Torquay United, and we wish him well for the future".
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

A future where not being the "Yes" man that Harrop wanted him to be will serve him well I hope. The Fatman couldn't even look him in the eye when he sacked him for not being pro GI enough for their liking. If anyone believes he was sacked for on field performances they're deluding themselves. GI don't give a shit whether we are successful or not.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 17:17 A future where not being the "Yes" man that Harrop wanted him to be will serve him well I hope. The Fatman couldn't even look him in the eye when he sacked him for not being pro GI enough for their liking. If anyone believes he was sacked for on field performances they're deluding themselves. GI don't give a shit whether we are successful or not.
You may be right but I didn't form that impression when I spoke with Chris Rich after the final whistle on Tuesday night. Both he and Geoff Harrop had clearly had enough from the match we had just all endured. At that moment I knew Nicholson was gone and that was because of the woeful performance.
You may well know differently about other behind the scenes matters that I don't.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Southampton Gull wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 17:17 A future where not being the "Yes" man that Harrop wanted him to be will serve him well I hope. The Fatman couldn't even look him in the eye when he sacked him for not being pro GI enough for their liking. If anyone believes he was sacked for on field performances they're deluding themselves. GI don't give a shit whether we are successful or not.
Regardless of what GI have store in the club. The on the field performances absolutely are a massive reason for his sacking, hell even today saw his mark all over the team with their insipid gutless bottling of a match even without him being there. The type of throwing away a match that happened repeatedly under Nicholson. If GI appoint a competent manager rather than a yes man, the only way is up.