Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

cambgull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 00:44

We desperately need a good, experienced manager, who can come in and sort this nonsense out. And that manager is definitely not Geoff 'Tactical Nous of a Shovel' Harrop.

What has his cutlery got to do with anything? ;-)

I highly doubt he will be named manager but that won't stop him meddling with team selection for as long as possible.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 00:53 What has his cutlery got to do with anything? ;-)

I highly doubt he will be named manager but that won't stop him meddling with team selection for as long as possible.
Come on Dave, do you really think he uses cutlery? Imagine Henry VIII with the ability to unhinge his jaw like a snake.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Snake, hmmm I see where you're coming from ........
Dave

LankyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull »

I feel like any good feeling, as small as it was, that GI managed to get with the new kits, new badge and slight increase to the playing budget has gone. Yes the first 4 games have been poor barring the Tranmere game and maybe even the Aldershot game where they showed a fighting spirit to get one back after going 2 behind and having a goal in my opinion wrongly not given where last season they may have put their heads down and that's that. Getting any points at Aldershot which was one of the hardest grounds to go to last season would've been a good result.

4 games is not a barrameter of how a season will go and we don't have our full strength side yet. Davis isn't back yet and Gowling and Lee are out also. I think 10 games would have been fair, if it was still the same rubbish then you've got 36 games to rectify.

On a personal note, Kevin Nicholson is the only manager i have ever seen feel so strongly for a club and have immense pride everyday he was manager. It may just be my yellow tinted glasses but I always hoped he would take us back into the FL and fully believed with backing and patience he would do so.

The next step is finding his replacement, I think if we want to be in the football league then we find a football league manager. Someone who has been there and done it, maybe with something to prove if they've been dismissed elsewhere. Which in this day and age doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad manager just that their face didn't fit for the board at that club.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Just because you did some "scouting" for Nicholson it doesn't unfortunately make him a good manager. Being your "mate" doesn't make him a good fit for the job either.

You were not there on Tuesday so its hard to actually comprehend how bad we actually were. Those in charge weren't really left with a choice. As Merse said his position was "untenable".

You are like a big pantomime dame. Flouncing about just because your friends got the push and deservedly so. I like Nicholson - he is a good bloke and I am sad that it didn't work out for him but it didn't so we have to move on.

Do you really believe GI intended to sack Nicholson after four games of the season, if so why on earth would they let him assemble a team first?

You are an ostrich.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

tomogull wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 18:52 Yes - vitriolic is a good word, Stefano ..... but I'm not sure that Arrywithnobrain would know what it meant. ;-)

I agree with your post, except that I wouldn't wait as long as Christmas. By September 12th, when we play away to Bromley, we will have played 10 games - 5 home and 5 away. Virtually a quarter way through the season. Personally, I think, and hope, we will be well away from the relegation places by then. But if we're not, then the spotlight has to fall on Nicho's management.

He has brought in some useful players this season but in my opinion he has failed badly to bring in half-decent forwards. Dan Sparkes has gone and there's nobody to match David Fitzgerald so we're badly lacking width and we don't have a decent strike partner for Keating. To expect Keating to keep chasing as a lone striker is unfair on the lad.

You describe Nicho as a 'very pleasant man'. Yes ..... and that maybe part of the problem. I have just started to read a book about Brian Clough. Boy, was he a nasty bastard !
tomogull I do know what vitriolic means as I have been educated and unlike you apparently I can read: do not confuse me with arrywithanh
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

This 'give them 10 games' thing is nonsense. When have we ever actually done that? You might as well give the manager a vote of confidence, because he's getting sacked soon.

I don't think I've ever seen a manager sacked after 10 games. If he continues doing badly, he gets sacked before 10 games, and even the slightest upturns in results sees them keep their job for longer than 10 games.

Next thing you know, it's January and you're still in the relegation battle with your manager who's about to get sacked, and you know you should've done it 4 games in.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

cambgull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 11:42 This 'give them 10 games' thing is nonsense. When have we ever actually done that? You might as well give the manager a vote of confidence, because he's getting sacked soon.

I don't think I've ever seen a manager sacked after 10 games. If he continues doing badly, he gets sacked before 10 games, and even the slightest upturns in results sees them keep their job for longer than 10 games.

Next thing you know, it's January and you're still in the relegation battle with your manager who's about to get sacked, and you know you should've done it 4 games in.
I agree.

if the times right the times right.

If a team loses all 9 games but then wins the tenth its ok then? no not in my books.

Gee who would be an owner of a football club, not me even if I won the lottery. A handful fans on here cant even agree if the new manager should be local or not, so whatever they do will p*ss some off.

I don't actually care who it is, BUT they should have a proven record of outperforming expectations. So a manger in say conf south at a club with low expectations and low budget but exceeds in getting results that no one expected. Something KN didn't do. We are bottom, have we got the smallest fan base NO, have we got the smallest budget NO (well I don't actually know that but I'm fairly sure). Have we got the worst facilities NO, are we a full time professional club YES
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

brucie wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 10:25 Just because you did some "scouting" for Nicholson it doesn't unfortunately make him a good manager. Being your "mate" doesn't make him a good fit for the job either.

You were not there on Tuesday so its hard to actually comprehend how bad we actually were. Those in charge weren't really left with a choice. As Merse said his position was "untenable".

You are like a big pantomime dame. Flouncing about just because your friends got the push and deservedly so. I like Nicholson - he is a good bloke and I am sad that it didn't work out for him but it didn't so we have to move on.

Do you really believe GI intended to sack Nicholson after four games of the season, if so why on earth would they let him assemble a team first?

You are an ostrich.

I've never said I've done any scouting for Nicholson or that he's a mate. You really are dumb enough to think that seeing one game makes you an expert on things, quite laughable really.
Dave

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 11:32 tomogull I do know what vitriolic means as I have been educated and unlike you apparently I can read: do not confuse me with arrywithanh
I'm pleased about that - I really am. Because it means you will know the description fits you to a T, whatever ridiculous name you re-invent yourself with.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tomogull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 14:32 I'm pleased about that - I really am. Because it means you will know the description fits you to a T, whatever ridiculous name you re-invent yourself with.
you could have fooled me.

and good point tomogull.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 11:32 tomogull I do know what vitriolic means as I have been educated and unlike you apparently I can read: do not confuse me with arrywithanh
yawn...
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

tomogull wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 14:32 I'm pleased about that - I really am. Because it means you will know the description fits you to a T, whatever ridiculous name you re-invent yourself with.
Did not realise that this forum allowed trolling, perhaps the admins can check my IP and see that I only use this account. Slightly sad that someone feels the need to slander my handle.

Clearly not able to communicate with me under their usual handle for whatever reason.

They will get bored in due course...
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

bring back leroy :)
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

moneylife wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 15:14 bring back leroy :)
More than 10mins this time.
arrywithanh wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 14:56 Did not realise that this forum allowed trolling, perhaps the admins can check my IP and see that I only use this account. Slightly sad that someone feels the need to slander my handle.

Clearly not able to communicate with me under their usual handle for whatever reason.

They will get bored in due course...
Already done and it's a new IP that hasn't been used on this forum before. So either it's someone new or it's you or someone using a proxy to hide behind. Not saying it is you.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest