Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bigleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bigleigh »

Herrera now in charge on Saturday and all the know all's saying it would be Harrop!
Spud
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Spud »

I am confused, it has seemed logical to assume that the owners only interest in TUFC is profit from land deals. Sacking Nicho will incur costs in paying up his contract. So what is their motivation ??
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Herrera is in charge. Personally I would rather have seen him shown the door and Harrop taking over. Guiseley must be pissing themselves - three easiest points they will get all season. Club in disarray as normal, nothing ever changes.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

With respect Brucie you can't have it both ways. On Saturday you and 'array called very loudly for Nicholson to be sacked. Now he has been you surely can't moan about the resultant disarray....!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

Herrera in charge initially was obvious? Follows suit with most other clubs... Not sure regarding likeliness of it being Harrop, I have heard mixed things from multiple sources, all seems very up in the air.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 13:29 Herrera is in charge. Personally I would rather have seen him shown the door and Harrop taking over. Guiseley must be pissing themselves - three easiest points they will get all season. Club in disarray as normal, nothing ever changes.
I m surprised that you would have had Harrop taking over. What managerial experience does he have?? He took charge for one game and in his words he stated that he couldn't of done it without Mansell and Nico.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

I'm surprised at the quickness of the departure as I thought GI would wait another couple of games.

Like many, I have the utmost respect for Kev given that he kept doing his job (and lots of stuff that wasn't his job) to the best of his ability in such trying circumstances. You have to commend the man on that front.

What you cant commend him for is the complete tactical naivety that we've had to endure for the last 2 seasons. Being out thought by (supposedly) lesser teams on a regular basis is what I have come to expect. Odd substitutions, strange formations and players being played out of position had become the norm. Its the right decision for me.

I've not lost sight of the bigger picture with the potential threat of GI & Plainmoor, but in my mind GI acting now to remove Kev (assuming he's not walked) is a positive step. You can argue that they are now running the club like a business, and 1200 odd fewer attending Tuesdays game than the first home game against Tranmere will have been a rude awakening for them - we play shite = significant drop in income. Getting rid of the cause of that loss of income is a sensible move from a business perspective. No emotion clouded their judgement in parting ways with an excellent former player and fantastic chap.

What will decide things for me as to GI's intentions, is who we now appoint. If its Harrop or Tully or Todd or some other inexperienced former player, that will sound massive alarm bells for the future of Plainmoor. If its someone thats going to cost a few quid, with experience and the know how of turning what is a pretty reasonable squad (admittedly with 3 or 4 duffers that shouldn't be here) at this level in to a winning team, then that will tell its own tale and i'll continue to remain cautiously optimistic.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

About 5hrs late to the party, but slightly reluctantly happy with this.

I wanted Nico to do well, and was probably amongst the last to turn on him but it has got to the point where we'd actually gone backwards over time, had lost any footballing identity and had no sign getting better. I'm pleased that some decisive action has been taken, although I wish it had turned out better for all concerned.

Can't say I'm enthused that Herrera is caretaking, he's hardly endeared himself with his mute behaviour. Hopefully we can attract a decent, experienced name as replacement - Mark Yates would be OK - but it's irrelevant if the board don't back him. Funds need to be available for squad strengthening, sharpish.

Thanks for 2 seasons ago Nico, I genuinely do credit him for keeping us up then. But last season was his own making and the writing has been on the wall since then
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

:goodpost:
Tarrboy1 wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 14:08 I'm surprised at the quickness of the departure as I thought GI would wait another couple of games.

Like many, I have the utmost respect for Kev given that he kept doing his job (and lots of stuff that wasn't his job) to the best of his ability in such trying circumstances. You have to commend the man on that front.

What you cant commend him for is the complete tactical naivety that we've had to endure for the last 2 seasons. Being out thought by (supposedly) lesser teams on a regular basis is what I have come to expect. Odd substitutions, strange formations and players being played out of position had become the norm. Its the right decision for me.

I've not lost sight of the bigger picture with the potential threat of GI & Plainmoor, but in my mind GI acting now to remove Kev (assuming he's not walked) is a positive step. You can argue that they are now running the club like a business, and 1200 odd fewer attending Tuesdays game than the first home game against Tranmere will have been a rude awakening for them - we play shite = significant drop in income. Getting rid of the cause of that loss of income is a sensible move from a business perspective. No emotion clouded their judgement in parting ways with an excellent former player and fantastic chap.

What will decide things for me as to GI's intentions, is who we now appoint. If its Harrop or Tully or Todd or some other inexperienced former player, that will sound massive alarm bells for the future of Plainmoor. If its someone thats going to cost a few quid, with experience and the know how of turning what is a pretty reasonable squad (admittedly with 3 or 4 duffers that shouldn't be here) at this level in to a winning team, then that will tell its own tale and i'll continue to remain cautiously optimistic.
Very balanced :goodpost:

Right decision, right time.

Sorry for Nicho the man not Nicho the manager.

Interesting view in Herald that this now gives 2 weeks of transfer window to bolster the squad. Not sure if GI are looking to put their hand in their pocket any further than the cost of exiting Nicho?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I see Chris Todd has put his hat into the ring - thoughts?
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Although he is an ex-player, and all the issues that seems to bring with it!, at least he has had some experience at this level.
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

Toad has decent experience at this level as manager and will be a fan favourite. Could be win win. But I would prefer more experience and not go for the cheap option again.

As long as Fallon isn't appointed then Ill be happy
GullatPlainmoor
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by GullatPlainmoor »

Could not have put it any better than the both of you - a great pity for the man but regrettably not for his football management ability:
y Gloomy Gull » 2 minutes ago

:goodpost:
Tarrboy1 wrote: ↑9 minutes ago
I'm surprised at the quickness of the departure as I thought GI would wait another couple of games.

Very balanced :goodpost:

Right decision, right time.

Sorry for Nicho the man not Nicho the manager.

Interesting view in Herald that this now gives 2 weeks of transfer window to bolster the squad. Not sure if GI are looking to put their hand in their pocket any further than the cost of exiting Nicho?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Whether this is a good decision or not will depend very much on the next appointment

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

arrywithanh, then Nicholson and now Todd? One thing in common. Everybody moans about bringing in an ex-player and then the very same people want the same. The reality is, no-one has any idea who to bring in with any thoughts about wages or different obstacles.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.