Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

was a cost effective solution at the time, when nothing had been agreed... sigh...
Gas Go Marching In
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by Gas Go Marching In »

Gashead here, thought you made some good signings in the summer for the conference so surprised to see you start badly?

What did you think of Nicholson? What do you think of the signings made? How's Gosling and Ryan Clarke getting on?

All the best, really hope you bounce back eventually like we did.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Gas Go Marching In wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:00 Gashead here, thought you made some good signings in the summer for the conference so surprised to see you start badly?

What did you think of Nicholson? What do you think of the signings made? How's Gosling and Ryan Clarke getting on?

All the best, really hope you bounce back eventually like we did.
Gosling has shown glimpses of being a class above, but Clarke has been crucial. Shows how bad we've been playing but I think he's gotten MOTM in 3 out of our 4 games, saved a pen and has stopped us from conceeding probably another 10 in the last 3 games alone.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

arrywithanh wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 11:14
:goodpost:
What?
TUST number 080
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Lets not go down the history route... lots has happened.
[/quote]
Thought you were closing your account
Still got a lot (too much) to say
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Being one of GI's biggest critics I said earlier that they would never sack him because of money.

I WAS WRONG!!
TUST MEMBER
cider gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by cider gull »

Very dissappointed in the Clubs behaviour on this one. If Nico was sailing that close to the wind then this should have been sorted in the close season and not FOUR GAMES IN! Allowing him to assemble a squad and then giving it four games to gell is beyond belief, especially as key members are injured. It matters not whether Nico was a very fine man (which he is and that's rare in football) or a right so and so this is poor directorship from above.
The club is now in danger of moving even farther down the laughing stock ladder and if Geoff Harrop manages for any spell of time as far as i'm concerned we'll be at absolute rock bottom. I await in despondent expectation for the words of wisdom from the directors when a statement emerges.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

cider gull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:13 Very dissappointed in the Clubs behaviour on this one. If Nico was sailing that close to the wind then this should have been sorted in the close season and not FOUR GAMES IN! Allowing him to assemble a squad and then giving it four games to gell is beyond belief, especially as key members are injured. It matters not whether Nico was a very fine man (which he is and that's rare in football) or a right so and so this is poor directorship from above.
Exactly. It's almost like GI WANT the turmoil of a new squad, still gelling and getting to know each other, to have to play under a caretaker and get used to his system (and have such a person in place ready to go in the form of Harrop). It's almost as if they WANT the squad to then have to change systems AGAIN for a new manager, who will be stuck with the squad he's got for the rest of the season and have next to to room to manoeuvre. It's almost believable that they'd be HAPPY to see us fail and go down/bust so they can have the stadium. It's almost as if the fans' impatience and eagerness has in fact led to GI getting EXACTLY what we were all worried about when they took over: Their own man in charge of the team (Harrop and whoever they then appoint), a divided fanbase and no one left at the club with the inclination to resist them.

Well done, everyone, you have saved TUFC.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

madgull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:22 Exactly. It's almost like GI WANT the turmoil of a new squad, still gelling and getting to know each other, to have to play under a caretaker and get used to his system (and have such a person in place ready to go in the form of Harrop). It's almost as if they WANT the squad to then have to change systems AGAIN for a new manager, who will be stuck with the squad he's got for the rest of the season and have next to to room to manoeuvre. It's almost believable that they'd be HAPPY to see us fail and go down/bust so they can have the stadium. It's almost as if the fans' impatience and eagerness has in fact led to GI getting EXACTLY what we were all worried about when they took over: Their own man in charge of the team (Harrop and whoever they then appoint), a divided fanbase and no one left at the club with the inclination to resist them.

:goodpost:
TUST No 278
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

madgull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:22 Exactly. It's almost like GI WANT the turmoil of a new squad, still gelling and getting to know each other, to have to play under a caretaker and get used to his system (and have such a person in place ready to go in the form of Harrop). It's almost as if they WANT the squad to then have to change systems AGAIN for a new manager, who will be stuck with the squad he's got for the rest of the season and have next to to room to manoeuvre. It's almost believable that they'd be HAPPY to see us fail and go down/bust so they can have the stadium. It's almost as if the fans' impatience and eagerness has in fact led to GI getting EXACTLY what we were all worried about when they took over: Their own man in charge of the team (Harrop and whoever they then appoint), a divided fanbase and no one left at the club with the inclination to resist them.

Here go the conspiracy theories... how about he was a shite manager and was showing no signs of even marginal improvement. Don't care if he was a nice bloke or not.
Gas Go Marching In
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by Gas Go Marching In »

OllieGull wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:05 Gosling has shown glimpses of being a class above, but Clarke has been crucial. Shows how bad we've been playing but I think he's gotten MOTM in 3 out of our 4 games, saved a pen and has stopped us from conceeding probably another 10 in the last 3 games alone.
Good to hear. I never rated Gosling particularly highly but he was still young with us and even then he was a decent conference player so should do well for you. Ryan Clarke has always been a solid keeper albeit never had a chance with us.

Who do you think you will appoint now? Would Mansell interest you or too inexperienced?
PaulBreen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by PaulBreen »

Going to Guiseley Saturday and Bromley in September because I always go to about half a dozen Torquay games a year. Wouldn't have gone to Guiseley if I thought Nicholson was going to be sacked and probably no new manager appointed by then. Though there are tactical problems from what I've been reading on here, it seems a lot of the problems are also down to having such a threadbare squad. Hope Harrap doesn't get the job but probably will. This situation has a lot in common with events at my local club Charlton Athletic.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

It's not a massively surprising decision (though I'm a little surprised it's come this early) and I feel awful for Nicho as it's clear he's put his heart and soul into the job. The worrying thing from the first few games is that this is very much his team (admittedly hamstrung by budget) and there seems to be a lot more quality in the squad than last season, but we're seeing the same kind of mistakes as last season. I don't think anyone has the stomach for yet another relegation battle, but it was increasingly looking like that's what was coming. That said, I neither trust GI nor have any faith that they'll replace Nicho with someone who can make a difference.
TUST member 203
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its too early to slate GI/Harrop for taking some positive action. The easiest course of action for them would have been to let Nicholson continue.

Saying that they have sacked him because they want us to fail is just complete nonsense. Nicholson has three players missing at the moment - one of them hasn't kicked a ball since he signed on so must have been injured when Nicholson signed him.

As for the players gelling - well the star player in every match has been the keeper. We appeared to be abject against Gateshead and Nicholson promised a "reaction" and an improvement against Boreham Wood. The plain fact is that we appear to be regressing rather than getting better.

Until the new manager is appointed we don't really know what will happen but no one can really argue that there wasn't justification in the decision to remove Nicholson..
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

brucie wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:32 Its too early to slate GI/Harrop for taking some positive action. The easiest course of action for them would have been to let Nicholson continue.

Saying that they have sacked him because they want us to fail is just complete nonsense. Nicholson has three players missing at the moment - one of them hasn't kicked a ball since he signed on so must have been injured when Nicholson signed him.

As for the players gelling - well the star player in every match has been the keeper. We appeared to be abject against Gateshead and Nicholson promised a "reaction" and an improvement against Boreham Wood. The plain fact is that we appear to be regressing rather than getting better.

Until the new manager is appointed we don't really know what will happen but no one can really argue that there wasn't justification in the decision to remove Nicholson..
:clap: :goodpost: