Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

If you are expecting to be tonked why suggest to wait?? It will only be putting off the inevitable!!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

That was bad, really bad.

Defensive errors gifting them goals, a total lack of creativity and appalling game management to let them straight back in after equalising. Simply not good enough.

This team should be able to hold onto a 2-2, they really should.

Already we are asking the same questions and bemoaning the same ineptitude. The manager is the one constant. He's had his time.

We're bottom already and with this set up I'm not sure we'll be lucky enough to find 4 teams worse than us.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I have to say that I didn't see that coming tonight. If we don't beat Guiseley, I fear the writing will be on the wall for Nicho & Robbie. But who would want to come to this basket-case of a football club? I think I will leave my computer turned off tomorrow because when Brucie gets around to write his report, the computer will probably go up in smoke.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

I have backed Kevin up until now, mainly taking into account a lack of backing from owners and how he has spoken about the club and what he wants to do with the side, and have been waiting for this season to start to hopefully see a turn in fortunes. I'm afraid as the players emerged and lined up for the second half, my feelings towards his tenure took a turn for the worse.

I don't claim to know anywhere near as much as Nicholson does about football, about tactics and about the quality of individuals. I'm 26 and never played football at a decent standard. Nicholson was a professional footballer for 20 years. However, even to my novice and untrained eye could I see that the 4-3-1-2 formation we lined up with this evening wasn't working. We had four midfielders in the centre with no real legs (not literally, and may I add Young and Gosling do have other qualities) being completely overrun and outmuscled by the opposition. We had no shield in front of the back four, no width or outlet when in possession and our back line was so square and uncommunicative that their strikers just ran on to balls over the top. It was hopeless, it was not what should be expected of a professional football outfit, we were lucky to go in at 0-0 and it had to be changed.

But it wasn't. We lined up the same way - it was always going to cause the same problems and lo and behold we went 2-0 down. I could not believe my eyes when the tactics weren't changed and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I believe there is a half decent side there (barring Myles Anderson who nearly makes Ben Gerring look ok) and even in the last few seasons, our squads have been better than relegation scraps, but the performances have never been there, the team selections have never been satisfactory and considering Nicholson talks a good game, the mentality and fight isn't up to scratch either. People can say it's only four games in but it isn't, it is two and a half seasons in and I'm not sure Kevin has it in him to be a success.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I like Nicholson. He seems a decent bloke and maybe some day he will prove to be a decent manager. Perhaps he'd be better off getting a coaching job with Mansell and Hargreaves at Bristol Rovers, as I'd wish him well and hope his future is positive. But, we've had two years of this mindnumbing, pedestrian durge and even as I was approaching the ground tonight I was considering what I could buy for £15. In Sainsbury's you can buy a triple album, on white vinyl of Elvis Presley's Greatest hits for £15. For the same price as watching that garbage we had to see this evening, you'd get almost two hours of music and you'd have it forever. Watching TUFC is expensive and not good value for money.

Sadly, I don't see what is going to change while KN remains. As a supporter, I'm not interested in yet another season of struggle and the faux joy of a Great Escape. No escape from relegation in this shitty league should be considered great. It's a disgrace that we are even having to think about relegation, let alone be facing it for a 3rd year running.

There is no pressing argument for keeping KN. We know what's ahead. We've already been through it twice so we may as well try something new.

He has been dealt some difficult cards and soldiered on manfully through testing times, displaying true grit, resilience and enormous integrity. But there comes a point when you just have to say enough is enough and I think we have reached that point. Nicholson going would be sad for everyone and especially for him but to be honest, had he been manager of York or Wrexham or Macclesfield, he'd probably have been fired a year ago.

The players may be slightly different, but it all just feels the same and it has been going on for too long.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Whilst I am not advocating that Nicho should be sacked - yet!  the subject, nonetheless, needs to be discussed as failure to pick up any points at  Guiseley or indeed Solihull, will have serious repercussions, especially in a financial sense.   

Nicho has now had a season and an half to find his footing and this season has not started well.  We can make all sorts of excuses for him e.g., injuries, poor referring or just plain back luck, but supporters of Nicho must not lose sight that he might not be  well-suited to the job, and that these recent and possibly future poor results will only provide GI  with a clear indication that Nicho  may not have the foresight and planning needed to deal with impending difficult managerial issues, let alone their current under-performance.    I for one would find it hard to believe that GI have not set down key performance indicators and targets for Nicho to reach.

Nicho has for the past two season been compared to Harry Houdini for his sensational escape acts but supporters pay to watch football not an illusion and I fear this season may be one magic trick too many. 

For those that wish for Nicho to disappear on the basis that a  truly good manager can make all the difference, then we may as well churn through the chaff as quick as we can in order to unearth one who does provide a clear value to our club.  Take a quick look at the most successful clubs today - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Manchester City - and you will see that they often change managers.   Results matter greatly and relegation is not just a horror story,  for some it is  a fate worse than death, that must absolutely be avoided.  No-one - not even GI, I  suspect,  want us languishing  in the Southern  league in which financial options are so limited (as if they are not already).

I  truly hope that this keyboard debate wont hold water and we see the Yellows go onto a 10 match unbeaten run starting this Sat.   But if we don't gain the winning mentality within the next two matches then if Nicho were to be sacked no one could say it was for absolutely  no reason.  If a manager can get sacked 9 months after winning the Premier League then it should come as no shock that a manager of a team at the bottom of the conference league can too.

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

MellowYellow wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 01:34 Whilst I am not advocating that Nicho should be sacked - yet!  the subject, nonetheless, needs to be discussed as failure to pick up any points at  Guiseley or indeed Solihull, will have serious repercussions, especially in a financial sense.   

Nicho has now had a season and an half to find his footing and this season has not started well.  We can make all sorts of excuses for him e.g., injuries, poor referring or just plain back luck, but supporters of Nicho must not lose sight that he might not be  well-suited to the job, and that these recent and possibly future poor results will only provide GI  with a clear indication that Nicho  may not have the foresight and planning needed to deal with impending difficult managerial issues, let alone their current under-performance.    I for one would find it hard to believe that GI have not set down key performance indicators and targets for Nicho to reach.

Nicho has for the past two season been compared to Harry Houdini for his sensational escape acts but supporters pay to watch football not an illusion and I fear this season may be one magic trick too many. 

For those that wish for Nicho to disappear on the basis that a  truly good manager can make all the difference, then we may as well churn through the chaff as quick as we can in order to unearth one who does provide a clear value to our club.  Take a quick look at the most successful clubs today - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Manchester City - and you will see that they often change managers.   Results matter greatly and relegation is not just a horror story,  for some it is  a fate worse than death, that must absolutely be avoided.  No-one - not even GI, I  suspect,  want us languishing  in the Southern  league in which financial options are so limited (as if they are not already).

I  truly hope that this keyboard debate wont hold water and we see the Yellows go onto a 10 match unbeaten run starting this Sat.   But if we don't gain the winning mentality within the next two matches then if Nicho were to be sacked no one could say it was for absolutely  no reason.  If a manager can get sacked 9 months after winning the Premier League then it should come as no shock that a manager of a team at the bottom of the conference league can too.

Have to say :goodpost:
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

No post match comments on OS or Devon live, doesn't bode well. I said give it 10 games, but after tonight who knows if that is worth waiting for.
Lucy
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Our current plight is summed up by Guy Hendersen writing in the Herald Express last night after the Boreham Wood game
"Boos around the ground after one of the worst defensive displays you will ever see"

Robbie Herrera played in defence at a high level. Is his voice not being heard because Nicho knows best or is he also culpable?
It is all a bit worrying.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

OUT NOW! HE IS CLUELESS! BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE, PUB LEAGUE DEFENDING. WE NEED A NEW MANAGER NOW BEFORE WE ARE TO FAR ADRIFT.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 23:31 I have to say that I didn't see that coming tonight.
Seriously?

What have you been watching for the last 2 years?

That's exactly the sort of gutless, inept, pedestrian performance that is the trademark of the Nicholson era.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

tomogull wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 18:35 N O !!!! A B S O L U T E L Y N O T !!! You are just itching for Nicho to fail, aren't you? Go back and carefully read Forever's excellent post. That is exactly the approach any fair-minded supporter should be taking. I predict that after 10 games, we shall be well away from the relegation places and you will have to eat humble pie. Oh, and by the way - we won't lose tonight.
:goodpost: your predictions are awesome!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

Jerry wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 08:02 Seriously?

What have you been watching for the last 2 years?

That's exactly the sort of gutless, inept, pedestrian performance that is the trademark of the Nicholson era.
tomogull what planet are you from/on...? it was never in doubt, a loss last night!

KN must go...
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

Zippy wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 07:36 OUT NOW! HE IS CLUELESS! BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE, PUB LEAGUE DEFENDING. WE NEED A NEW MANAGER NOW BEFORE WE ARE TO FAR ADRIFT.
Wow... he really is clueless isn't he! Just because you played for a club and some would consider you a legend, does not equate to a good manager. Absolute rubbish, we made Boreham look amazing in attack.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

I wanted to wait and see the comments on here before writing something, why people are so shocked at how bad we are I don't know, firstly you need to look at pre season, we got turned over by tiverton, got out played by plymouth parkway and got thumped by stoke gabriel, i accept that some of these games had trialists etc but then look at the trialists we had, nicho has zero connections and ended up putting a 20 stone kit man on the pitch, is this an example of a full time professional club? I went to aldershot and the reason i don't post alot on here is for the replies i read from a selection of deluded brain dead fans, we were totally outplayed by them, someone behind me said it was a great performance (being in our own half for 80% of the game) he didn't even know that one of the players that scored we had on loan once!! I appreciate their desire to support the club but its opinions like that which question why they bother when they have no idea what they are watching and praise the performance, if you do that the player will think its ok to go out there and get beat each week which is what has happened now for the last 2 years, a defeatist mentality.

I now move on to Harrop and the recruitment director, i mean what the f*ck do these people do at the club, the recruitment guy is as much use as a chocolate tea pot and as for Harrop anyone know his role? its a wasted wage which could be spent on a forward who can actually score goals.

The signing of Fallon, what on earth was the point, it was met with moans from the majority, but if you sign someone then play them or at least put them on when needed otherwise get rid, last night perfect example, we score and then as usual our defence go and have a w*nk and concede within seconds, nicho then waits till 8 mins to go to put "the target man" on the man who is playing his way into the world cup, do me a favour nicho your as deluded as anyone.

Change should have happened a long time ago, to keep praising nicho for keeping us up has to stop, it was his fault we were in that situation in the first place, he is tactically inept and is clueless on substitutions, who do we get in? honestly not sure however whoever it is has to never have been an ex player because it ends in disaster every time.

Saw the other day £40-50 newton spurs season ticket.... i see that now as cracking value atleast they win games!!