Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 22:30 I read about Melchester Rovers in The Tiger every week, following them up and down the country and in and out of Europe, when they were a legendary team and/or a team of legends, but this current set up is a shambolic shadow of a once great club. I haven’t missed a game in over forty years but I haven’t watched one either - preferring to pontificate about matters in a way that demonstrates my complete ignorance of the finer points of football.
Following the retirement of the immortal Roy Race, when “Tubby” Moreton filled his beaming face with a pasty for the last time and “Blackie” Blacksomething hung up his boots and “Ginger” Nutmeg (or whatever his name was) transferred to fierce local rivals Eggshitter City, I knew that the future was bleak for the pantheon of dreams that The Rovers had always been.
New management corrupted all that was important about the club: the talismatic red shirts with yellow sleeves changed every year to accommodate the god of Sponsorship and the array of yellow and red stripes, hoops and polka dots worn by the fans in emulation of their team made the Melchester Kop (which is uniquely along the length of the pitch rather than behind a goal) seem like a counter at a jumble sale; the stadium changed its name every time the local double glazing firm went bust and the traditional wooden stands with their time honoured fire risks were replaced by concrete edifices built to the latest Subbuteo designs that transformed into skating rinks whenever rain fell.
If things were bad off the pitch they were worse on it. Magnificent Melchester slid rapidly down the League and out of it, into a godforsaken non-league collection of part-timers and hasbeens which bore the name of something sinister like a betting syndicate or insurance company and were heading for extinction in a way that justified their new nickname of “The Dodos”.
Managers came and went more rapidly than the physio could treat an injured player and the latest recruit arrived with the club staring at the abyss of Sunday League soccer. He was a complete tyro with no previous managerial experience but he performed miracles and saved the club from relegation on the last day of two successive seasons. As a manager he was a novice but he did have some football pedigree for he was ... Roy Race: a one-club hero who as a player had amassed more England caps than Shilton, Charlton, Rooney and Moore combined and who had won more trophies with Melchester Rovers than Real Madrid, Celtic and Newton Heath could jointly lay claim to.
Players queued to play in trials for the club: two former European Footballers of the Year and an ex Golden Boot winner begged for the chance to play for free and Joe Hart indicated that he was available whilst resting from making shampoo commercials but Roy stuck to his time worn principles of hiring journeymen on extortionate wages that easily overspent his huge Sky money Budget.
Of course as soon as the club failed to win three successive games it was clear that this founder member of the Inter-Galactic Football Hall of Fame had absolutely no knowledge or tactical awareness of the practicalities of non-league football and that he should be replaced immediately by either an embittered youth coach living in a parallel universe or by an inveterate thread starter who is unsure of the spelling of his own name.
Blackie Gray. I think the red head might have been Noel Baxter but the Melchester Rovers I fell in love with was the early 80s version, just before Roy Race got shot (by some actor called Elton) and before he left Melchester to be player-manager of Walford Rovers (obviously unconnected to the Eastenders version).

Melchester Rovers were never the same once the Kemp brothers joined them, prior to murdering people as the Krays.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tomogull wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 17:02 YEAHHHH ! It's true what they say - if you dig deep enough, you can always find good news ! :whistle:
Amen to that.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 22:51 Amen to that.
spoke to soon (tomogull).

......see first post on this page.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

We shouldn't be shouting sack him after three games. two of them on the road against teams with bigger budgets and promotion aspirations. We have recruited well this summer with good experienced players at this level. Nico has done well on the budget he has.
Maidstonegull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Sean McGinty

Post by Maidstonegull »

I really can't believe that "supporters" would be discussing this issue 3 games in . Aldershot won 6-0 on Saturday and are playing good possession football playing out from the back .
Tranmere, Gateshead and Aldershot all have a core of players from last season , we are a new team with so many new faces . That doesn't help the start of the season .
We have to support our manager who never makes excuses about having to start again with a new team .
He is the right man and he will get his new team playing well together. We have to be realistic about the hand Nicho has to play with .
I believe he will play his cards well this season , so let's be fair and get behind him and the team and do what it says on the tin . That means support and encourage through thick and thin .
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What is the relevance of quoting Aldershot winning 6-0? You might as well say that Tranmere lost at home to Sutton. It probably hasn't got any relevance really given that we lost 3-0 to Gateshead. The only thing of relevance is that we havn't been playing well at all.

As long as Nicholson keeps playing Chaney in flat back four we will continue to lose - and that's just for starters. What excuses can Nicholson make - he has supposedly got a bigger budget?

Anyone can say that he is going to do well but there isn't any evidence of that at the moment. Did you actually watch the highlights of the Gateshead. If not then do so and get a reality check.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Maidstonegull wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 12:11 I really can't believe that "supporters" would be discussing this issue 3 games in . Aldershot won 6-0 on Saturday and are playing good possession football playing out from the back .
Tranmere, Gateshead and Aldershot all have a core of players from last season , we are a new team with so many new faces . That doesn't help the start of the season .
We have to support our manager who never makes excuses about having to start again with a new team .
He is the right man and he will get his new team playing well together. We have to be realistic about the hand Nicho has to play with .
I believe he will play his cards well this season , so let's be fair and get behind him and the team and do what it says on the tin . That means support and encourage through thick and thin .
:goodpost: especially sentence #1.

Agree completely as a fan - not speaking on behalf of the site name :rofl:
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

arrywithanh wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 18:27 Before I delete my account, I am VERY pleased I started this thread. What a joke, basically unless you have an undying love for KN then you are not welcome. Clearly not a forum run by fans but one that is just as clicky as the runnings of GI. Bunch of ************. Enjoy watching KN destroy us this season.
Actually I agree with your views about the manager. I think he was a good servant to the club as a player at our level, he is a decent man with the interests of the club at heart, but he should never have been given this job as his first managerial appointment and he has had long enough now so he is not going to get on top of it. We won't miraculously get more points in the last 10 games than in the previous 36 again, so relegation will follow if we continue without changes.

I have voiced that opinion on 3 different forums at different times. I have never had posts deleted or been banned. I have had sensible responses in posts from other genuine supporters who have put the alternative point of view, but never in an aggressive or threatening way.

Although I am sure you don't mean to you come over in several posts as a horrible man. I have no idea who you are so have no idea what you are like. That is the perception though, so it may be it is that that people have a go at....rather than your view that the manager should be replaced, which is actually a view shared by a good number of supporters.

There are though views on both sides. I listen to them, and I am certainly very pleased that I will never be in a position that I have to make the actual decision.

Those are my thoughts....though I note that I may be too late in putting forward thoughts to you as you may have deleted your account before I press submit. Bugger! What a waste of effort! ;-)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Maidstonegull can I just point out that 6 players in the starting line up on saturday were at Plainmoor last season as was Keating who came off the bench in the second half.
So just like the teams you mention we too have a core of players from last season.
Of course we have to support our Manager and the team which we will do tomorrow night but we expect the team to play with pride and not give up at half time if 1-0 down.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

There sure are some whingers out there!

Nico is doing fine, his squad look stronger than last season and if that's all within budget then I see things improving.

We've had many seasons of things getting worse and I for one am not giving up after 3 games!

Come on you gulls! Stick it to 'em by sticking it in the onion bag tomorrow night!

Yee har!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

toastkid wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 18:50 There sure are some whingers out there!

Nico is doing fine, his squad look stronger than last season and if that's all within budget then I see things improving.
Well..I don't know if "fine" is the right word considering that we haven't won a game yet and have yet to score in 2 out of 3 games played....

..but it's also not time to go around sacking the manager - he needs time (probably 8-10 games) to get them playing together; that's when he should be judged. If we beat Boreham Wood tomorrow the entire complexion of the 'blog' (hah, Ray) will change.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Hi, Guys Yes we had a mare on Saturday. But it all pales into insignificance this morning. Football is only a game. I cannot fathom why some rant at the players as if its more important than life. if it is then you truly have your priorities in the wrong order. you have made it a god. Nicho is in charge. give him more time to have a full season without background interference. Its his living, not yours. his family you would denigrate and bring down. A game of football is not worth destroying a family.
I have come home to news that a good friend of mine. a bubble precious young lady of only 25 was found dead on Roobinswood hill. She had only stopped me last week as I made my way to Asda. we chatted for 10 minutes or so and then she cheerfully (so it seemed) went on her way. when faced with walking home alone at night I offered to walk with her for her safety and we got friendly. we sometimes did things like that. I will never see her smile again. never hear her infectious laugh. it tears me up to know that was the last time I saw her. and never will again. Rest in peace Esther. you won't be forgotten.
Football is only a game. someones life is the most precious thing we have!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Personally I think the discussion is premature and I'm in the camp that says give him at least 8-10 games, given the tough start we have had and the fact that the next 5 games will be a much better indicator.

However, I also think this is already a valid discussion. Tranmere was a decent performance and its fair to say that with Gowling (and Davis) that KN has been unlucky with injuries, however despite the ultimate close result and potential grievance with refereeing decisions, it isn't like there were a lot of other positives to take from Aldershot - sure they look to be a very good team - and Gateshead was utterly abject.

I don't think Nicho knows his best team and I really have no idea what the brand and style of football he wants to play is - is it pressing, long ball, to feet, using the wings, counterattack, possession - as far as I can see, he just sets them up to try not to lose and then thats it. Any goal and there is no other option.

Its not good enough.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is the thing, when the fixtures were released many on here said, the team could not have been handed a harder start, most agreed these opening games were going to be as tough as they come, and the results would be fairly irrelevant to a point. Now our worse fears for the opening three games have been realised and the forum is in meltdown, the knifes out for the manager.

I don't need to write paragraph's explaining my own views on the job KN has done as TUFC manger, it's no secret that despite having some sympathy for the conditions KN has had to work under, I am not his biggest fan, in terms of his management, but to suggest his removal after three games is nonsense.

10-15 games is of course the right time to judge the relevant capabilities of any squad, at any club, at any level, not just TUFC, and from our own clubs point of view 6 players hardly constitutes carrying forward last season squad, it is a 'new' squad, they will need some time to settle. If our results and performances continue to spiral downwards at this point of the season, then the clubs owners will have no choice but to act, and should it come to that, please no more club legends, and no romantic calls for ex-managers who've done well for us in the past, it's often said in football ' never go back' there's a reason for that, in most cases, but not all, a second spell never follows in terms of success gained in the first.

I'd personally like to see KN survive as our manager, because that would mean, results are good and the teams at the right end of the league, that's what we all want, isn't it? but should things not work out, then new blood, someone who doesn't love the club, a new broom sweeps clean, as said in an above post.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Coxiboi213
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by Coxiboi213 »

I think it time he goes as we need some one new to take the club forward and can sign a lot more player who can play and better formation