Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Zippy wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 20:08 sorry Plymouth my opinion is that he isn't good enough, this was apparent last season as well, is kept us up by the skin of his teeth, sooner or later we will go down under him, its needs to change, we need to get our beer goggles off.
Fair enough.

It's a shame this has come up again though; I really do not think Nicholson is the issue, and when he does go, he will go on to better things than Torquay United.

As Hector suggests our biggest battle remains off the pitch than on it!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

hector wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 20:10 Those saying we are only 3 games into the new season, do need to consider that it might only be 3 games but it follows two years of the same sort of results. All the first three games have shown us, is that nothing really is likely to change, therefore if Nicholson wasn't sacked in the past, then it's probably unlikely that he is going to be now. I've come to the point where I don't really care.

Sack him or keep him - I don't care.

This football club stopped being 'our' football club the moment Dave Phillips started hawking it around to property developers and Cornish nightclub owners. What has been happening on the pitch really hasn't been of any significance and it's as if people haven't noticed that the manager of a football club on gates of 2000 cannot build a team to compete with the park teams of this godforsaken shithole of a division.

Does Nicholson deserve the sack? He has been dealt some difficult cards, that's for sure, but probably at any other club he would have been dispensed with a long, long time ago. He is only in a job because the 'jacket spud brigade' as Merse so accurately lampoons them, those on the terraces, and those that were in the boardroom (before the sharks we now have in place were handed the club on a platter,) continually chant their inane 'nich-ol-son, nich-ol-son' as if this is someone who has won trophies for us.

Nicholson seems a bright, decent bloke but if the failings of the team are due to his budget because GI won't back him, then he should come out and say so. Otherwise, if the budget is better than we have been led to believe, as Clarke Osborne hinted at last season, then unfortunately, KN isn't doing well enough.

In the end though, it really doesn't matter. Why care? What is happening on the pitch is still just a mere sideshow to the shenanigans that GI have in mind. The more people are seduced by mango kits, new badges and a new 'difficult-to-navigate' website plus continue their love-in with a manager who if he wasn't who he was, would have been sacked 18 months ago, the more GI can go about things unfettered by any scrutiny.
This sums the situation up perfectly for me.

Apart from the 'jacket spud brigade" bit as I have absolutely no idea what this means. :|
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Sure KN has to take a lot of responsibility for how his management has affected results and the clubs lowly finishes in the league table but the bloke is working with his hands tied so far behind his back that it's a good job he's bloody well married.

The club is run by people who don't care about it or the fans and who have no intention of investing significantly enough in it on the pitch to enable even a slightly more experienced manager to be able to improve the league position to any great degree.

Yes you argue that he has had enough time now to improve things but i totally disagree with those who think that it's as easy as getting rid and getting another manager in. In the position the club finds itself now with no investment and clouds hanging overhead regarding the intentions of GI, without even mentioning the geographical isolation of Torquay, the football club will not be able to attract anybody worth their salt to come and manage.

Alan Knill was sacked at the right time but useless Hargreaves was brought in and that is what sealed the clubs relegation. Sack KN and it's another huge gamble whereby the club could only hope to bring in a manager with experience at much lower levels and relegation from this league and that's the end of the line for the football club IMO. As it is anyway should GI get what i feel they are looking for.

In truth it's a hopeless situation for the club, the fans and KN because GI aren't interested in footballing matters and therefore won't chuck money at KN to go and sign players to compete. If KN had a budget (as some on here seem to think he's got a decent one) then Rory Fallon and Andy Haworth would never have seen the time of day at Plainmoor.

It's an impasse due to GI and their smokescreen. They won't spend the money needed to get the club competitive because they can oversee the homeostasis of the club by hoodwinking a few fans here and there with a new website here and something else that really doesn't address the issues there.

In the meantime i guess you just have to keep on doing what fans do although it won't make any difference under the current ownership. You turn up and hope for the best. Kind of the situation KN is in from a management perspective given the support he has from his employers.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

There is only 2 managers that I could think of that could be a good replacement for Nicholson if he does go and that's would be the old moors manager I think he was called Garry bigot he did well on a shoe string budget he got brought in by Grimsby town but if I remember rightly he got sack or there is the Tiverton manager he would be a gamble but he might no of some hidden gems from the lower leagues which would bolster are recruitment as they wouldn't be on big wages but it would be a risk as he hasn't got much experience in our league
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Marcus bignot was his name
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

not sure what arrywithanh problem is, clearly a troll

sacking Nicho at this point would be ridiculous,

Keep the faith.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Garry hill formally of Woking he is an experienced manager who did well at Woking could be one but I think give nico a bit more time but I do understand the reasoning for wanting him gone but I think we have got some good players but we will see weather nico can manage them if not then sadly he will have to gp
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Northampton gull wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:11 Marcus bignot was his name
But what an image the name, Garry Bigot, conjures up! Some shouty, Glenn Tamplin type bringing in a bit of far-right Brexit-football.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

hector wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:40 But what an image the name, Garry Bigot, conjures up! Some shouty, Glenn Tamplin type bringing in a bit of far-right Brexit-football.
Oops yet an other bad spelling mistake again...
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Northampton gull wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:20 Garry hill formally of Woking he is an experienced manager who did well at Woking could be one but I think give nico a bit more time but I do understand the reasoning for wanting him gone but I think we have got some good players but we will see weather nico can manage them if not then sadly he will have to gp
How much more time do you give Nicholson? He's had two dismal seasons already. The club needs someone who knows how to manage.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

hector wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 20:10 Those saying we are only 3 games into the new season, do need to consider that it might only be 3 games but it follows two years of the same sort of results. All the first three games have shown us, is that nothing really is likely to change, therefore if Nicholson wasn't sacked in the past, then it's probably unlikely that he is going to be now. I've come to the point where I don't really care.

Sack him or keep him - I don't care.

This football club stopped being 'our' football club the moment Dave Phillips started hawking it around to property developers and Cornish nightclub owners. What has been happening on the pitch really hasn't been of any significance and it's as if people haven't noticed that the manager of a football club on gates of 2000 cannot build a team to compete with the park teams of this godforsaken shithole of a division.

Does Nicholson deserve the sack? He has been dealt some difficult cards, that's for sure, but probably at any other club he would have been dispensed with a long, long time ago. He is only in a job because the 'jacket spud brigade' as Merse so accurately lampoons them, those on the terraces, and those that were in the boardroom (before the sharks we now have in place were handed the club on a platter,) continually chant their inane 'nich-ol-son, nich-ol-son' as if this is someone who has won trophies for us.

Nicholson seems a bright, decent bloke but if the failings of the team are due to his budget because GI won't back him, then he should come out and say so. Otherwise, if the budget is better than we have been led to believe, as Clarke Osborne hinted at last season, then unfortunately, KN isn't doing well enough.

In the end though, it really doesn't matter. Why care? What is happening on the pitch is still just a mere sideshow to the shenanigans that GI have in mind. The more people are seduced by mango kits, new badges and a new 'difficult-to-navigate' website plus continue their love-in with a manager who if he wasn't who he was, would have been sacked 18 months ago, the more GI can go about things unfettered by any scrutiny.
:goodpost:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Ok so everyone is saying there are plenty of other, better managers out there. As they always do.

Name them then. Not disagreeing with the sentiment, but I'd like to hear names that people can guarantee would a) take the job here and b) do a better job
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Kevin can do certain parts of the job but falls down on the tactical parts as this comes with experience and the club are suffering because of this. What he needs is a win on Tuesday but he should address the problem that's been there for two years someone who can address the problems whilst the game is in motion.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Jeff wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 22:28 Ok so everyone is saying there are plenty of other, better managers out there. As they always do.

Name them then. Not disagreeing with the sentiment, but I'd like to hear names that people can guarantee would a) take the job here and b) do a better job
Garry hill Gareth westley I think he is called don't count me on my spelling Paul sturrock Marcus bignot mark yeates
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Three games in and supporters are already calling for Nicho's head, what a shock. Did anyone expect us to do this well? A draw against Tranmere, nearly drew against Aldershot and with a different refereeing decision we probably would have done and a poor result and performance today. Before the season started, were we expecting to come away with 6-9 points after three games? I would argue 1-3 points was a better prediction. I suppose it's what perspective people had. We are a mid-table/bottom half Conference side and that's reality. Hartlepool are currently 20th and have had the same start as we have. Let's give Nicho ten games and then see where we are.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.