Nicholson sacked 17/08

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Neither Leroy nor Buckle would sort this mess out. Leroy doesn't need the job and Buckle was hopeless at any job where he didn't have money to chuck around like he did last time he was here.

I would suggest a fresh start-no one with a sentimental tie to the club. We seem obsessed with appointing ex managers, who are ex managers for a reason, or former players. How about a fresh pair of eyes ????
Last edited by sgf on 12 Aug 2017, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Zippy wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 19:11 sorry jeff but there are plenty out there who would take the job, there are many managers in this league who are almost un heard of, but they do a decent job, the rot needs to stop now. I would rather see buckle back, personally if Leroy was likely to ditch the media work he would sort this mess out.
To think we once had a manager called Martin Ling who wanted to return to Torquay after his illness but we shafted him for Alan Knill and look where that has lead us. Take a look how the O's are doing under Martin.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 19:21 To think we once had a manager called Martin Ling who wanted to return to Torquay after his illness but we shafted him for Alan Knill and look where that has lead us. Take a look how the O's are doing under Martin.
Martin Ling isn't manager of Leyton Orient, they are a bigger club than us and look what happened to him at Swindon. Ling is a fantastic bloke, our 2nd best manager in the past 2/3 years after Buckle (had the potential to be better) and a credit to the football community for his openness about his illness and engagement with it, however he isn't able to cope with the pressures of management anymore, thus why is now a DOF.

The club's treatement of him was shambolic, shameful and the worst thing it's been responsible for while I've followed it, however I think they were ultimately justified in not taking him back, what wasn't justified was the way they want about it and the treatment of Martin.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

scoff at my suggestions all you like but this is a **** mess and I don't care weather its Leroy, buckle or walter mitty, we need someone else other than nicho, and what makes you think Leroy couldn't sort this mess out, we played the best football under him,
we are in shit street 3 games in and its time for action,
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

I didn't say Leroy couldn't sort it out, I merely suggested he does not have the need to.....I think he has quite happily left his managerial days behind him.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Zippy wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 19:38 scoff at my suggestions all you like but this is a **** mess and I don't care weather its Leroy, buckle or walter mitty, we need someone else other than nicho, and what makes you think Leroy couldn't sort this mess out, we played the best football under him,
we are in shit street 3 games in and its time for action,
We've played 270/4140 minutes of this season, and already the season is basically over for some.

I'm still really interested in hearing some alternative suggestions to Nicho, some names to discuss. For all the talk of finding the new Cowley's, there are many that don't work out - Kevin Wilkin at Wrexham, Gary Brabin at Tranmere etc.

I honestly dread to think of the reaction if we'd been humped 6-0 at Aldershot like Guiseley were today.
Milner33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Milner33 »

I also believe Nicho is not worthy anymore, however I do not think that is the whole side of the story every year we are left with players that are mostly injury prone or had a falling out etc. This is because not many people want to come to Torquay. Firstly, we do not have the funds to sign better players and that is not KN fault. But, what he does with the players is not great he plays people out of position and it never really works. He tries to experiment but does not have the experience to get it right that many times. Furthermore, Torquay is the most out of reach team in the national league so many players do not want to move to Torquay from a big city.

There is a problem with KN tactics we always in the last 20 mins of a game look tired and fall apart with lack of concentration that is completely Nicho's fault. This also happened lots last season as well so it is nothing new.

I think Gi are a massive problem too, they have fooled fans with the nice kit new website that we are going to become immediately successful, most of us know that isn't the case . I do not believe they are giving Nicho the right funds. But, I think that despite not having much funds Nicho has signed a few good player. In the likes of Clarke, Higgins, Gosling and Gowling plus Jordan Lee.

Overall, Nicho is not experienced enough to make us go that much higher than mid table. However, it is not all his fault and I realize that you cannot change where the club belongs but GI could make more of an effort. I would say give Nicho 3 more games if he doesn't win in any of them, despite being at home for two of them( which should make a difference) he should be sacked.

My onlt last concern is who would want to come and replace him?? Feel free to leave suggestions as I am interested. Torquay deserves to be in EFL not in a league when you play against a team that beats you 3 nil and only brings less than 700 fans. On to Tuesday COYY
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Milner33 wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 19:56 I also believe Nicho is not worthy anymore, however I do not think that is the whole side of the story every year we are left with players that are mostly injury prone or had a falling out etc. This is because not many people want to come to Torquay. Firstly, we do not have the funds to sign better players and that is not KN fault. But, what he does with the players is not great he plays people out of position and it never really works. He tries to experiment but does not have the experience to get it right that many times. Furthermore, Torquay is the most out of reach team in the national league so many players do not want to move to Torquay from a big city.

There is a problem with KN tactics we always in the last 20 mins of a game look tired and fall apart with lack of concentration that is completely Nicho's fault. This also happened lots last season as well so it is nothing new.

I think Gi are a massive problem too, they have fooled fans with the nice kit new website that we are going to become immediately successful, most of us know that isn't the case . I do not believe they are giving Nicho the right funds. But, I think that despite not having much funds Nicho has signed a few good player. In the likes of Clarke, Higgins, Gosling and Gowling plus Jordan Lee.

Overall, Nicho is not experienced enough to make us go that much higher than mid table. However, it is not all his fault and I realize that you cannot change where the club belongs but GI could make more of an effort. I would say give Nicho 3 more games if he doesn't win in any of them, despite being at home for two of them( which should make a difference) he should be sacked.

My onlt last concern is who would want to come and replace him?? Feel free to leave suggestions as I am interested. Torquay deserves to be in EFL not in a league when you play against a team that beats you 3 nil and only brings less than 700 fans. On to Tuesday COYY
Years of mismanagement from the top down means that we are exactly where we deserve to be. The club has been a basket case off the pitch since 2010, and on the pitch since the Ling farce.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Give him 12 games and see where we are. If we're still in the shit he should go as it will be the 3rd season and enough would be enough.

If we're doing alright he deserves to stay on.

Surely that's a fair approach?
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Zippy »

we have signed some decent players as you say, Clarke, gosling, gowling, pittman, the issue is kevin will not take this club forward and they need to replace him soon, if we cannot beat Gateshead we have no chance.
there has to be better managers out there who could sort this out, from a GI point of view they wont want the crowds dropping as they will want the income. but if we get 1500 on Tuesday I will be amazed.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Since when did Gateshead become the marker for being good/rubbish? They're a solid outfit at this level, not like they're cut adrift every single year!

Also, being pedantic but it's actually Nicholson's second full season in charge. I don't think we can really fault him much for the 2015/16 campaign, when he joined.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Should he be sacked well maybe,but my view is he deserves a few more matches yet. He was good enough for them to start the season so how can you sack him 3 games later. At the end of the day this is the boards decision alone.

i have a question for Arry with an H. If people came into your place of work and started shouting to everyone that you sir are rubbish at your job and you should be sacked sacked sacked If you stay there will be no company left then how would you feel?
Yes you are entitled to your opinion and yes this is a forum. However I was following the match day thread all afternoon and I'm not sure what was more annoying the teams performance or yours.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Zippy »

sorry Plymouth my opinion is that he isn't good enough, this was apparent last season as well, is kept us up by the skin of his teeth, sooner or later we will go down under him, its needs to change, we need to get our beer goggles off.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Those saying we are only 3 games into the new season, do need to consider that it might only be 3 games but it follows two years of the same sort of results. All the first three games have shown us, is that nothing really is likely to change, therefore if Nicholson wasn't sacked in the past, then it's probably unlikely that he is going to be now. I've come to the point where I don't really care.

Sack him or keep him - I don't care.

This football club stopped being 'our' football club the moment Dave Phillips started hawking it around to property developers and Cornish nightclub owners. What has been happening on the pitch really hasn't been of any significance and it's as if people haven't noticed that the manager of a football club on gates of 2000 cannot build a team to compete with the park teams of this godforsaken shithole of a division.

Does Nicholson deserve the sack? He has been dealt some difficult cards, that's for sure, but probably at any other club he would have been dispensed with a long, long time ago. He is only in a job because the 'jacket spud brigade' as Merse so accurately lampoons them, those on the terraces, and those that were in the boardroom (before the sharks we now have in place were handed the club on a platter,) continually chant their inane 'nich-ol-son, nich-ol-son' as if this is someone who has won trophies for us.

Nicholson seems a bright, decent bloke but if the failings of the team are due to his budget because GI won't back him, then he should come out and say so. Otherwise, if the budget is better than we have been led to believe, as Clarke Osborne hinted at last season, then unfortunately, KN isn't doing well enough.

In the end though, it really doesn't matter. Why care? What is happening on the pitch is still just a mere sideshow to the shenanigans that GI have in mind. The more people are seduced by mango kits, new badges and a new 'difficult-to-navigate' website plus continue their love-in with a manager who if he wasn't who he was, would have been sacked 18 months ago, the more GI can go about things unfettered by any scrutiny.
Milner33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Milner33 »

hector wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 20:10 Those saying we are only 3 games into the new season, do need to consider that it might only be 3 games but it follows two years of the same sort of results. All the first three games have shown us, is that nothing really is likely to change, therefore if Nicholson wasn't sacked in the past, then it's probably unlikely that he is going to be now. I've come to the point where I don't really care.

Sack him or keep him - I don't care.

This football club stopped being 'our' football club the moment Dave Phillips started hawking it around to property developers and Cornish nightclub owners. What has been happening on the pitch really hasn't been of any significance and it's as if people haven't noticed that the manager of a football club on gates of 2000 cannot build a team to compete with the park teams of this godforsaken shithole of a division.

Does Nicholson deserve the sack? He has been dealt some difficult cards, that's for sure, but probably at any other club he would have been dispensed with a long, long time ago. He is only in a job because the 'jacket spud brigade' as Merse so accurately lampoons them, those on the terraces, and those that were in the boardroom (before the sharks we now have in place were handed the club on a platter,) continually chant their inane 'nich-ol-son, nich-ol-son' as if this is someone who has won trophies for us.

Nicholson seems a bright, decent bloke but if the failings of the team are due to his budget because GI won't back him, then he should come out and say so. Otherwise, if the budget is better than we have been led to believe, as Clarke Osborne hinted at last season, then unfortunately, KN isn't doing well enough.

In the end though, it really doesn't matter. Why care? What is happening on the pitch is still just a mere sideshow to the shenanigans that GI have in mind. The more people are seduced by mango kits, new badges and a new 'difficult-to-navigate' website plus continue their love-in with a manager who if he wasn't who he was, would have been sacked 18 months ago, the more GI can go about things unfettered by any scrutiny.
I agree its just a shit show