Rory Fallon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Rossi Martin wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 09:32 Rory Fallon is set to sign for Torquay. Nico to offer him a contract. To be our target man apparently
That's one way to ruin what had been a decent summer of recruitment. Can't be happy with this signing at this stage.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

If that is correct that is a VERY POOR managerial decision, certainly based on the overwhelmingly uninspiring performances Fallon has shown in the Friendlies I have watched.

He only seems to win uncontested headers and has no pace. That must tick all the attribute boxes a target man should have on Nicholson's "What I am looking for in a player" list!!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

If this does happen we are taking a big step backwards, from what I ve seen of him what does he offer?? His scoring record is poor and thats being nice. His day is done, move on, what are we doing even considering him.
We ve made some positive signings with lads who can actually play football but this is ridiculous
LankyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull »

As has been said previously, there is surely a young target man in a football league or premier league club youth setup who is available?

It's a zero risk move, more than likely we wouldn't pay any of his wage and if it doesn't work out then you send him back. Fallon is a risk no doubt about it, injury prone, couldn't hit a barn door and would take money away from our playing budget which could be spent elsewhere.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 10:24 If that is correct that is a VERY POOR managerial decision, certainly based on the overwhelmingly uninspiring performances Fallon has shown in the Friendlies I have watched.

He only seems to win uncontested headers and has no pace. That must tick all the attribute boxes a target man should have on Nicholson's "What I am looking for in a player" list!!
Sorry not meant to be a dig or anything but that statement made me laugh. "Only "win" uncontested headers". I would bloody hope so he is a professional footballer
TUST MEMBER
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

If you read Nicho's comments its clear we are not paying him much to fill the role, he is not moving for the money but to give himself a chance to get back in New Zealand's squad.Its a cheap option the provides another position we dont have filled.

My question would be why have we not priortised a target man and given a bigger chunk of our budget for such a vital role in this division? Failing that we surely could have found a better option thats raw from a league club that could have gained experience whilst on loan... we have known since January its a position we need to fill and this signing is incredibly underwhelming.
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

From what I've seen of him, it is irrelevant what he is being paid. He looked tired, slow, uninterested and completely out of his depth.
Incredibly poor signing if this turns out to be true, is this REALLY the best we can do???
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

I could understand taking a risk on a mid 20's to early 30's player who hadn't flourished recently even if it be argyle or city, however to take a mid 30's player who seems to be out of his depth who couldn't even flourish at Truro makes this an awful/desperate signing... which considering we have known about this problem since January makes it nearly 8 months of wasted recruitment.

Again this will be put down to the lack of contacts/location however had we put money aside for a target man or even asked us 'the fans' to make a donation for a new player fund then I'm sure we could of done better.

An opportunity wasted IMO
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

So underwhelmed by this. Complete shambles.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Neal wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 11:32 Sorry not meant to be a dig or anything but that statement made me laugh. "Only "win" uncontested headers". I would bloody hope so he is a professional footballer
Glad I brought a smile to your face Neal, but I fail to see the humour in taking a player who cannot win a header if there is an opposing player challenging for it!! :|
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Hancox, Mitchell, Nicholson, Chaney, Reid and possibly Fallon - Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd help us!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Unf**kinbelievable Jeff. :@

id rather we hadn't bothered. whatever they're paying him its too much. :@

UPDATE and BREAKING NEWS - SouthamptonGull signs on as goalkeeper cover.
SuperNickyWroe signs on as RB cover. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

It's a non-contract deal, which to my mind is pay as you play. I really don't imagine he will be a regular starter - he's experienced and he's been around at a much higher level than we currently are. I do understand the frustration in that he's 35 and doesn't score regularly, but as an extra dimension up front and as we aren't paying a weekly wage, I am not as unhappy as I thought I'd be.

I wonder if he will bring something extra to the backroom team, too.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

it seems pretty obvious that he's not a good player, but if we're paying him very little and he has a genuine incentive to do well (NZ squad?), I see it as a low-risk move for us.

At some point we have to acknowledge that we simply don't have the budget to get 'proven' young players and we have to take a flyer or two (or seven)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

What would pacify me on this now is if we brought in a young forward on loan (or permanently, although I doubt we have the budget) that can be "mentored" and developed with the help of Rory. For all his limitations, you can't deny he's got experience.

However, I seriously doubt that will be the case and we will be relying on Fallon as one of our main strikers rather than a back-up option