Rory Fallon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I think this is a back up Jeff. I'd expect Keating and Pittman to start against Tranmere, with Gray off the bench. Assuming all are fit of course.

For very little potential cost, I don't think this is actually too bad a deal. The only way I see Fallon getting a serious run of fixtures is if he's banging in a few goals, which I'm sure we won't mind (again, assuming all others are fit!). Would also agree with the youngster on loan, but we have 5 strikers now and I don't see Nicho feeling the need to extend that to six.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I really dont get this, surely he will never start, so in the event that we are losing with 10 min to go i would rather we put a CB up top, Ben Gerring( yes i know he's left) would be more effective than Fallon !!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 14:43 It's a non-contract deal, which to my mind is pay as you play. I really don't imagine he will be a regular starter - he's experienced and he's been around at a much higher level than we currently are. I do understand the frustration in that he's 35 and doesn't score regularly, but as an extra dimension up front and as we aren't paying a weekly wage, I am not as unhappy as I thought I'd be.

I wonder if he will bring something extra to the backroom team, too.
Perhaps he'll bring in a few choc ices and a tub of Cornish dairy!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

He will be a bench option when we are losing away/drawing at home with 20 minutes to go
Surely better than pushing a 'Ben Gerring' up front. He is hardly going to be out of his depth with the levels
he has played at ! Not an ideal signing but nothing to lose if he is not costing much and lots of experience
to pass on
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The worse signing since Priso!
New Zealand must a shite squad if he wants to get back into it at the age of 35.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

desperado wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 16:36 [highlight=yellow]He will be a bench option when we are losing away/drawing at home with 20 minutes to go
Surely better than pushing a 'Ben Gerring' up front. He is hardly going to be out of his depth with the levels
he has played at [/highlight]! Not an ideal signing but nothing to lose if he is not costing much and lots of experience
to pass on
apart from not scoring for ages....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Using him as an option to bring off the bench is exacly what I don't want to see from my team. We all know that the minute he comes on, we'll start lumping it forward. in a desperate long ball strategy.

I'd rather bring on somebody with pace who can run past the tired legs of the opposition afte 70+ minutes.

I don't see why this deal has been made. Pay as you play or full time, it seems like a desparate act to bolster a squad before August 5th.

Zlatan he is NOT.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

The difficult decision for Nicho could be if Exeter decide against a certain trialist. I agree Fallon could play 15 minutes when the game looks lost but is he really what we want? An Agyle fan I know felt he was past it when at Home Park 'never where the play was' he alleged. But have we seen anything in the 3 Friendlies to suggest otherwise Nicho?
Tufc83
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Tufc83 »

Fallon is never going to force his way into the New Zealand squad ahead of Chris Wood, Monty Patterson and Shane Smeltz (at 35 he has an impressive 24 goals in 51 games at international level) so the moment Fallon realises this (if he hasn't already) do you think he'll be giving his all for Torquay? Doubt it. He is over the hill and far far away.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Official Site - SIGNING | Fallon Joins After Successful Trial "“We have been looking for a target man for a long time now and Rory has come in and showed us enough to suggest that he could be a valuable asset to our squad,” said Nicholson."

WTF!!!!!!!

Successful !! - when did achieving nothing become success ?

Showed us enough !! - when is nothing ever enough?

Non contract or not - this is a VERY disappointing signing and re-enforces the doubt, in my mind, about Nicholson.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I totally agree Gloomy. It's not a signing it's a cop out.

There is no evidence at all he's a game changer. If you want a big player to bring on later he has to be able to make his presence felt immediately. I don't see this with Mr 99.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

It is awful decisions like this which will cost Nicho the job he adores. Come on Nicho this is a crazy decision. Think about it!! Makes no sense.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I can only remember two other occasions when a new arrival at the club has been met with such unanimous disapproval on here.

Guy Branston and Martin Ling. ;-)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

portugull wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 18:45 It is awful decisions like this which will cost Nicho the job he adores. Come on Nicho this is a crazy decision. Think about it!! Makes no sense.
Why does it make no sense?

> He's cheap (potentially free if he isn't playing).
> He's experienced at a higher level.
> He has reasons to want to get back in form and firing.
> He is local to the area, thus no relocation required.

There are four reasons right there why I can see why Nicho has done this. He has not signed a contract with the club - if another option comes up (e.g. Ryan Brunt if it doesn't work out at Exeter) then I imagine Fallon will go.

He is the 4th or 5th choice striker and offers an alternative option. He may also be able to pass on experience to the younger forwards - Keating, Reid etc.

For years we've moaned on here about a lack of experience in the team. Now we've signed someone with bags full of it, who will not be starting every week, yet we're in uproar.

We've given non-contracts to some utter tosh in recent years, players who have not even been benchwarmers when we've not had enough players. Give me Fallon over Jamie Chamberlain or that Joel Ampalu or whatever he was called any day of the week.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Jerry wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 19:38 I can only remember two other occasions when a new arrival at the club has been met with such unanimous disapproval on here.

Guy Branston and Martin Ling. ;-)
Nicely tried but how about the return of Chris McPhee? That was taken well and worked out beautifully didn't it!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/