Rory Fallon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I can't help thinking that posters are getting a bit wound up of Fallon for nothing. Fallon appears to want the opportunity to train and get fit to try and get a place in the New Zealand squad next year. If he is prepared train with us for free and get fit and if that happens get a squad place - presumably for next to money - then I don't really see a problem. I don't know his character but I assume his experience around the training ground is not a bad thing.

No one is claiming he is going to be a main part of our strike force but a big man to offer something different and perhaps give some of the biggest central defenders something to think about if our approach is not working in a particular match isn't the worst thing in the world.

I don't believe for one second it is choice between Fallon and (a somewhat mythical) talented striker - I expect Nicholson has either more or less exhausted budget or can't get anything for what he has left and the option to take a long look at someone for nothing doesn't harm anyone.

I don't think Fallon is the answer to our shortage up front, but then I doubt NIcho really does either.

Jeff - do you think a conference salary in Torquay is going to be that enticing semi pro players on the continent? Its not like we've not tried before - is Priso available? :lol:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

exilegull wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 19:02 I can't help thinking that posters are getting a bit wound up of Fallon for nothing. Fallon appears to want the opportunity to train and get fit to try and get a place in the New Zealand squad next year. If he is prepared train with us for free and get fit and if that happens get a squad place - presumably for next to money - then I don't really see a problem. I don't know his character but I assume his experience around the training ground is not a bad thing.

No one is claiming he is going to be a main part of our strike force but a big man to offer something different and perhaps give some of the biggest central defenders something to think about if our approach is not working in a particular match isn't the worst thing in the world.

I don't believe for one second it is choice between Fallon and (a somewhat mythical) talented striker - I expect Nicholson has either more or less exhausted budget or can't get anything for what he has left and the option to take a long look at someone for nothing doesn't harm anyone.

I don't think Fallon is the answer to our shortage up front, but then I doubt NIcho really does either.

Jeff - do you think a conference salary in Torquay is going to be that enticing semi pro players on the continent? Its not like we've not tried before - is Priso available? :lol:
Ha ha yes well Priso was an example of when it goes very wrong. That was an utter disaster - having him on some kind of trial would have been a better idea rather than just handing out 1yr contracts.

Perhaps what didn't come across in my post is I guess it depends what sort of money players get elsewhere, and whether they are looking to gamble a little in order to put themselves in the shop window.

There were rumours years ago when we had them on our books, that Morike Sako and Mamadou Sow were on pitiful money when they were with us. And after all, we've signed Keating so it must have been worth his while to move from the League of Ireland - that's got to be a similar sort of level to the amateur levels of the French, German, Dutch leagues.

As an example, look at Crawley in L2 - they have players signed from the lower levels of the Dutch leagues in their squad so it's not implausible
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Barrow AFC are also looking to the continent to increase their potential player pool, Jeff. Experienced scout Paul Ogden has been the best signing the club have made during Paul Casson's reign at the club. He has identified players such as Jordan Williams and Richie Bennett from the lower leagues, whilst now imploring that the club begin to search Europe for talent. I don't know how to cut and paste one web site to another, but if you type in to your search engine "North West Evening Mail European contingent head to Barrow on trial", you will find an article detailing Ogden's ideas.

I suggest that Torquay United adopt a similar scouting strategy to attracting playing staff. Torquay's southerly location would assist with attracting players from France in my opinion.

Ray
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Why don't you take Rory off to the rear of the Lake District Ray. You like ice cream don't you.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 19:42 Barrow AFC are also looking to the continent

Ray
Sorry to break it to you Roy but Carlisle is a city.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Parkys People wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 15:57 Will he make a difference now? does he have any re-sale value? Will he be a rising financial asset for the club? Those are the questions that we also have to ask. That's why you need someone to think a little bit ahead. We have to sign players that have a resale value.

"You never know with a young player. You never know if he's going to make it before you've given him 35 games. But do you have the guts to give him those 35 games? It’s easier if you don't have a choice.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndicat ... s.amp.html
That's a great post, Parky, and sooo true - it must make you contender for Poster of the Month :clap: . Your first paragraph reminded me of those up the road in the alternative St James' Park. In two seasons, they have sold two players - Matt Grimes and Ollie Watson - for over a £1 million each. And to make it even worse, one of them lived five miles up the road in Newton Abbot !! Not only that, they have players in their first team who have come through the Youth Ranks but who are maybe not Premier or Championship class but are capable players at City's level. And that's not all - good players that came through the Youth ranks and moved on to higher things seem willing to return to Exeter during the latter years of their careers. Exeter is a proven example of a well run Youth System in my opinion so I'm pleased to see that Clarke Osborne has this as a priority for Torquay. Okay - we possibly wouldn't be able to match Exeter's success, but even a little luck would help us along the way.

The other paragraph that caught my eye is that you have to give a young player 35 games. I'm with Arcadia re Sam Chaney. I think the lad has potential but he is not going to develop that potential if he's not playing regular competitive games. I think that if he had been part of the Exeter system, he would now already be a more developed player. As I see it, his best position is where Luke Young plays, and he aint going to dislodge Luke just yet. Maybe a loan spell with, say, Truro or Bath would be better for his development rather than sitting on the bench at Plainmoor for 80 minutes ?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

According to Devonlive he 's due for another run out today, complete waste of time imo, i doubt he will make any impression, his scoring record is poor at best.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Can we tap of Rodney Jack for some of his mates at Lambada if they even still exist?

Ps why the heck are half of these posts about Barrow FC?! Did I miss something?
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Barrow. Maybe a venue for our new stadium?
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Jul 2017, 23:10 and if this mythical beast ~ the big hold up striker ~ can't be procured; bloody well devise a way of playing without one!
Totally agree with this. If I'd had the time to post during the week, would have said something very much along these lines.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To follow on from my last post. I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating, in the P.S.F v Plymouth , as said in the match thread, first half our team by and large, were the better team, we saw some slick passing, had Plymouth pinned back for long periods and were causing them problems, all with out the magical target man, it was only when Fallon came on, and our team reverted to hoofing it, that the Gargs took complete control of the game.

On the evidence of the Plymouth game, my question is. What's the panic to sign a target man ? Yes, of course it's a good thing to have different attacking option available, but for Christ sake, wait, search, as Mesre say's have to look around step 6 or below, see if there is a young , hungry player just waiting for a chance at full time football, and don't waste our time or money on a donkey who's well past his best.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

forevertufc wrote: 22 Jul 2017, 13:09 To follow on from my last post. I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating, in the P.S.F v Plymouth , as said in the match thread, first half our team by and large, were the better team, we saw some slick passing, had Plymouth pinned back for long periods and were causing them problems, all with out the magical target man, it was only when Fallon came on, and our team reverted to hoofing it, that the Gargs took complete control of the game.

On the evidence of the Plymouth game, my question is. What's the panic to sign a target man ? Yes, of course it's a good thing to have different attacking option available, but for Christ sake, wait, search, as Mesre say's have to look around step 6 or below, see if there is a young , hungry player just waiting for a chance at full time football, and don't waste our time or money on a donkey who's well past his best.
:goodpost:
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by smw1989 »

I for one would be disappointed if we signed Rory Fallon...

Surely it only takes half a day on FM 2017 to find a VNS/VNN player who would be half decent.

What was wrong with Fondop??? A player who fans would be excited to go and watch...
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by smw1989 »

The need for a target man actually suggests KN has been playing TOO much Football Manager...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

You don't need to be looking at very well researched football manager games for players. A few months ago Arsenal signed Cohen Bramall who was working at the Bentley car factory and playing his football trade part-time with Hednesford Town, this should be telling KN all he needs to know, we have Dave Hedges at the club now, and it his job to know where every Cohen Bramall's of the lower reach's of the non-league pyramid are. If he doesn't, why are we paying him.

That said, to be fair Dave Hedges can produce a list of players, doesn't mean any would agree to sign for us, but the point is, it's yet further proof that the right players do exist around the lower reach's of the non-league, you have to go out a search for them. If KN's no1 priority is to sign a target man, if he hasn't already, lets get DH out there watching step 6,7,8 P.S.F's to see if the right player is out there.