Rory Fallon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I watched Clevedon Town 1 Keynsham 2 tonight Clayton Fortune played up front for Clevedon age 38.
Clevedon do not pay money.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arcadia wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 23:08 I watched Clevedon Town 1 Keynsham 2 tonight Clayton Fortune played up front for Clevedon age 38.
Clevedon do not pay money.
quite right too. :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

nickbrod wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 21:40 As in stop me and buy one?
If he'd been a goalie it would be 'buy me & stop one'! :~D
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Haven't seen Fallon during this pre-season, but the reports don't sound good. I guess we'll see? He surely has to be a 4th or 5th back up.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

After seeing Nicho repeatedly trying to save a game by throwing on a big defender in attack for the last 5 minutes I would rather have Fallon than Ben Gerring. Of course, fitness is a huge problem as seeing him wander around the ground as though playing a relaxing a game of golf is not inspiring. He could certainly do a job if fit but why are we paying him to go to the gym?
Is Rory Fallon really playing to try and claim a World Cup place for New Zealand? This is the line peddled by his agent and repeated on the Torquay United podcast ( download Yellow Army via Itunes). Has he got a chance? The short answer is maybe and the long answer is maybe not. New Zealand have the Leeds forward Chris Woods whose 27 goals made him the Championship top scorer while Rory scored zero for Truro in the Southern League after featuring for 12 games. Other forwards at the recent Confederations Cup for NZ include were Monty Patterson aged 20 and plays for Ipswich but was on loan last year for Braintree. Kosta Barbarouses aged 27 who play for Melbourne City in Australia's A League which is about the same level as League 1. Finally, Shane Smetlz aged 35 is a prolific scorer with various A League teams but has recently decided to pick up a final wage day day at Borneo in Indonesia! If he does get a surprise recall he would have had to score at least 20 goals for us so everyone would be a winner!
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

poor signing from nicho. this team will struggle to get goals I'm afraid, Fallon isn't the answer, very disappointed with this.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

If this is the best Dave hedges can come up with, my god!! A successful trial?? What did i miss??
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

I love how people react on this forum. It's either ends of the spectrum. Either a signing/result/board decision is going to be the catalyst for success or it's the largest and most dramatic nail in the coffin. Nothing summed this up more than the 'fat lady singing' comments after we lost 2-1 to Lincoln at the back ed of last season - like that was the remaining fixture we'd put all our hopes on. People needed to remember then that just because we were a few points behind by then, we had nicer fixtures coming. The point is that there's more to a moment that just one fact, i.e. we've lost a game, or we've signed a striker who doesn't score.

Can fans not appreciate that maybe Fallon will hold up the ball, cause confusion in the box for defenders, of even win a header (which he can do - to state otherwise is just wrong). The result being that perhaps someone else will score! Fallon hasn't forged out a career by scoring lots - like most target men throughout the divisions he's primary job is creating chances for others, be that by actual skill or purely through presence. The point is to think striker=goals is quite simplistic. Andy McFarlane springs to mind as a player who didn't score a lot but certainly created mayhem and pockets of space for Rodney Jack.

Also, is he likely to get fitter or fatter signing for a full-time team? Comments about his fitness seem simplistic. KN is creating a team with people with the right mentality and team ethic. If Fallon puts his nuts on the line so a ball bobbles to Young on the edge of the box then bless his little NZ face. Give the lad/OAP a chance.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Zippy wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 06:39 poor signing from nicho. this team will struggle to get goals I'm afraid, Fallon isn't the answer, very disappointed with this.
So are you writing the other 4 strikers off aswell?

I would be interested in hearing some alternative options within our limited price range who would have come in on a non-contract, low-risk deal and likely be happy being a squad player. I doubt there are many.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

In professional football you get hierarchies......

Top earners ~ like Young, Pittman, Gowling, Gosling, Davis, Higgins & Clarke ~ who need to be offered a decent wedge to procure their services. Then you get the lesser paid and then the numbers need to be made up with play for free/pocket money signings who need the opportunities and want to use them as a springboard.

Having fallen from the first group through advancing years; this is where Fallon now finds himself.........he needs the opportunity and the manager needs players nineteen and twenty in his squad.

Even at the higher end of United's pay scale there will be players needing to procure an auxiliary income to bolster their income; Gowling obtains quality cars and arranges lease/purchase for clients. The game is riddled with lower earning players on the Herbalife pyramid ~ revenue streams that can be obtained that fit in with the demands of full/daytime training and travelling the country to play away games. Fallon owns and runs a creamery in Plymouth and so needs to play locally ~ that's how it is.

Nearly every non league club I can think of employs veterans past their sell-by date, getting what they can out of them and utilising their experience to bind together and develop the younger players around them. Boreham Wood have Paul Benson who'll be 38 in October in their squad and he will be my son's u18 coach there this season. I'm sure that's a good arrangement for the football club and player alike and benefits the first team whilst providing their young trainees with another experienced head and voice to learn off.

Look on it as no more than that; acknowledge it is economics and reality of trying to maintain a full-time football operation on gates of less than two thousand. It's where we are; get used to it!
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

Looking at him in the club photo he looks as stocky as Louis Briscoe and I don't he will be as good as he was in his first season
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Id say Fallon has a better chance of actually making the NZ squad than NZ do of actually competing at the World Cup. As things stand theyd have to play Argentina in a play off to get there. Bob n ho hope!
TUST #324
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 09:34 In professional football you get hierarchies......

Top earners ~ like Young, Pittman, Gowling, Gosling, Davis, Higgins & Clarke ~ who need to be offered a decent wedge to procure their services. Then you get the lesser paid and then the numbers need to be made up with play for free/pocket money signings who need the opportunities and want to use them as a springboard.

Having fallen from the first group through advancing years; this is where Fallon now finds himself.........he needs the opportunity and the manager needs players nineteen and twenty in his squad.

Even at the higher end of United's pay scale there will be players needing to procure an auxiliary income to bolster their income; Gowling obtains quality cars and arranges lease/purchase for clients. The game is riddled with lower earning players on the Herbalife pyramid ~ revenue streams that can be obtained that fit in with the demands of full/daytime training and travelling the country to play away games. Fallon owns and runs a creamery in Plymouth and so needs to play locally ~ that's how it is.

Nearly every non league club I can think of employs veterans past their sell-by date, getting what they can out of them and utilising their experience to bind together and develop the younger players around them. Boreham Wood have Paul Benson who'll be 38 in October in their squad and he will be my son's u18 coach there this season. I'm sure that's a good arrangement for the football club and player alike and benefits the first team whilst providing their young trainees with another experienced head and voice to learn off.

Look on it as no more than that; acknowledge it is economics and reality of trying to maintain a full-time football operation on gates of less than two thousand. It's where we are; get used to it!
What's changed since your initial assessment of this being a "cloud cuckoo land signing" akin to Harrad? Genuinely intrigued to know.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

Fallon will bring us nothing, having spoken to some Garg fans they said he will do nothing, he wasn't mobile when he was with them He is slow and lazy, he is another Dean Mooney for those of you who remember HIM.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

That he is joining on non contract terms; thus allowing the club to bring in a more suitable player if it doesn't work out and make a suitable future arrangement with Fallon if it does.

When this signing was first mooted, non contract wasn't mentioned as the basis, and with the very real and probable situation of the budget almost entirely having been spent already it seemed indeed like a 'cloud cuckoo land' type of signing...the very notion of him regaining his international place is ludicrous really and the only use I can see for him is as an impact sub if they want to depressingly go route one in the last few minutes of a game they are losing.

It remains to be proved whether or not the player can get up to speed necessary for the National League anyway; and as I said before this is really taking the National League and it's standards in vain in my opinion............personally (and considering where his career has been of late) I very much doubt that he can; but good luck to the player and good luck to the club.