Plymouth PSF Tonight

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Guildford Gull wrote:

But I thought one of the reasons Dave Phillips gave for appointing Nicho was that he had many contacts built up during twenty years in the game.

Yes and that can work both ways i.e they know Nicho!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Nicho's contacts show in where he gets his players from; who is prepared to sign for him and you can judge the record for yourself....so tonight we've got 35 year old ice cream man Rory Fallon. That's one up from the ruddy kit man I guess!
oldcommsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldcommsboy »

I know I sit at the back in this forum, but I do try to keep up! Please could you aid my ignorance and tell me who Rory Fallon actually is?
Thanks

Chris
Chris
TUST member 479
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

oldcommsboy wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 21:36I know I sit at the back in this forum, but I do try to keep up! Please could you aid my ignorance and tell me who Rory Fallon actually is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Fallon
oldcommsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldcommsboy »

Thanks Merse. Now I know what sort of ice cream he sells.
Chris
TUST member 479
LankyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull »

First half we played well Gosling was going past players for fun Keating was chasing every ball and Gray was aggressive and constantly hassling the Argyle back line. Our back four was a bit shaky at times but with 2 players playing out of position, Chaney and Klukowski, that would be expected at times.

We matched what is a League 1 side for most of the game and although as much as I hate losing to Argyle the result isn't important.

I felt Higgins didn't perform very well tonight, he didn't give much going forward and he wasn't the best defensively. Could've gave away a penalty with a stupid diving in tackle and what do you know 5 mins later and he's given away a penalty for the same tackle.

Both Rory Fallon and Odubade were anonymous except for 1 shot by Odubade. As said earlier on the thread, Fallon is bottom of the barrel stuff it really is. We don't need an old fashion target man necessarily just somebody who can hold the ball.

On a lighter note, it was a lovely evening over Plainmoor.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Can only hope that Hedges unearths a couple players before the start of the season, one of Nicholson's weaknesses has always been his lack of contacts and total lack of knowledge below National League (National South aside) and this is only being further emphasised. With our poor budgets, the only way we're ever going to build our way out of the league is by finding gems and bringing in people like the Cowleys with a contacts book full of names.

This being said, I think we'll be comfortably mid table by the end of the season and a 2-0 PSF loss to Argyle is hardly disastrous.
LankyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 22:02 We matched a league one side?? Only 6 of those Plymouth players at the very most are likely to figure in the first team senior, also we did lose 2-0 and they missed a penalty... get real!
Majority of the side they played will be in and around the first 11, the first goal was unstoppable and the second one was after we made several changes and the game had lost all zip. We hit the post and the bar so could've easily, been 2-2 which is easy to say I know but to say 'get real' is a bit much, we played very good football in spells but they are a better side and proved as much.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Thought we gave a good account of ourselves not sure about the 4-4-2 mainly because I thought Gosling was out of the game for far to long.
Keeper instilled confidence.
Chaney did well again looked sharp.
McGinty did well
Gosling looks a really good signing but needs to be in the game more.
Keating works hard but we need a goal.
Gray works hard deserved a goal for his efforts.

Came away thinking that there is now something to work with but we need a :goal:
Reid same old stuff but what can you say!
Last edited by arcadia on 18 Jul 2017, 22:11, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Went along to the game tonight, and pretty much agree with what's said above. Whilst it was a PSF, and you can't take to much from a bad defeat at Tiverton, you can't get to carried away with a positive performance either.

First half thought TUFC were the better side pleasing to see an attempt to pass the ball around, rather than countless, aimless hoofball hit rather in hope, and with both Reid and Gray hitting the Plymouth woodwork the were unlucky not to get a better result from the game.

Great to see Young looking like his old self again, displaying full range of accurate passing through out, Lathrope, he actually looked fit, seems have used his summer break well, Gray looks a really good signing, Gosling looks like he's going to add something to the squad. Higgins going to be fair and reserve judgement, had some bright moments, but two poor challenges in the box, both could have been given as penalties, one was, thankfully a poor spot kick easily saved.

More positives than negatives, off the back of this, no reason why we can't be looking forward to a brighter season, but, of course time will tell.

Edit; Forgot to add, Fallon, please no, just way past his sell by date, in my humble opinion.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

Clarke - Solid game, was no stopping that first shot and did well to save the penalty.
Chaney - Thought he did well tonight since he is playing out of his usual position and made himself useful going forward.
McGinty - Typical consistent game, he certainly likes to boot the ball up the pitch which is fine and sometimes necessary but at times there were definitely better options available.
Klukowski - Solid performance at centre back. A promising back up to the position if needed.
Higgins - On and off game. Definitely got potential and we saw it against Bristol but made a few mistakes today. It happens.
Reid - Good game from him, better performance than most games at the end of last season and created promising chances.
Young - He's bloody everywhere isn't he! Good energetic playmaker performance as always. Mr consistent.
Lathrope - Thought he looked strong in midfield today, broke up a lot of play and plenty of sensible, accurate passing on show.
Gosling - My MOTM. Very promising performance again, great ball skills and impressive pace
Gray - Looked good tonight, couple of very close strikes, looks to be a good signing
Keating - Bit of a quieter game than usual but good nonetheless, puts lots of pressure on defenders and that in itself creates chances.

Special word for Fallon, didn't look interested at all and not really challenging for the ball at any point. Think I saw him complete one pass in 30 odd minutes of play. Would not be a good signing in my opinion, we can't afford to have that kind of dead wood in this squad.

Overall, as mentioned, there were more positives than negatives and as we all know results do not matter in pre season, no matter how local the teams are ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Usual suspects knocking Nicholson - one who wasn't even at the game ! It was good to read fair reports from reliable posters such as Forever (who I know isn't Nicho's no.1 fan) and Arcadia, and also new poster Goose9. Thanks lads. But I have to admit - whatever was the point in playing Rory Fallon ??
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 23:30whatever was the point in playing Rory Fallon ??
That and the kit man at Stoke Gabriel; that's why you get 'the usual suspects' questioning the manager.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Thank you to those who took the time to write a match report of the game. Despite being away from Torquay at the moment, I'm looking forward to seeing how we start the season in August. Pre-season sounds like it's going the way it usually does, positive football being played with a few bright suspects but little goal threat.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 22:02 We matched a league one side?? Only 6 of those Plymouth players at the very most are likely to figure in the first team senior, also we did lose 2-0 and they missed a penalty... get real!
I feel You need to get real. Plymouth as you correctly stated are a league 1 club. So losing 2-0 should not come as a surprise. Our line up tonight just like Plymouth will not reflect the starting line up come the opening day of the season. That is why pre-season friendly matches are played. Your anti KN posting is TBH getting very boring and very predictable.
Lucy